Need Help listing ALL local pro soccer teams

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by PhillySportsTeams.co, Nov 1, 2006.

1. PhillySportsTeams.co

Mar 29, 2006
    Philly
    Hello everyone,

While I'm still in the "soft-launch faze of my website, I'm gathering info & working behind the scenes on the real site nav, graphics, etc.

Anyway, my goal is to have EVERY Philly area pro & semi-pro soccer team's website listed. I currently have 9 teams listed in a very far reaching "local" area but I'm sure there are fans out there more in the know than I am so I'd appreciate it if you can take a look at what I currently have listed & post any additions/ corrections here. The soccer teams are all listed right on the site's homepage.

Thanks- Dave from PhillySportsTeams.com

http://www.phillysportsteams.com

2. The Major

The Major New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Philadelphia
    State College just recently got A baseball affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. They're called the State College Spikes, and they play in the new baseball stadium that they built that is Southeast of Beaver Stadium on the Penn State campus. The new stadium was actually a joint venture between the University that also uses it for their baseball team and the local government.

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Behind the center field fence is a view of Mt. Nittany.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. PhillySportsTeams.co

Mar 29, 2006
    Philly
    That is a great stadium. They're actually already an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates jumped ship from Williamsport to State College & the Phillies moved their team from Battavia & took up residence in Williamsport with the hope that with the two franchises so close, having them now rep the Pirates & Phillies will increase the rivalry. I personally doubt that will put more fans in the stands but I know Williamsport baseball fans are very excited about the situation because they have real life, actually Phillies fans in Williamsport so they're happy to have the affiliation.

As a Phillies fan I'm personally very happy to have our Low A franchise in Williamsport instead of Batavia, NY. I travel to see every Phillies & Red Sox affiliated minor league team at least once a year. The 2 1/2 hour trek to Williamsport is going to be a hell of alot better than the 6 hour drive to Batavia, NY aka the middle of NOTHING!

Thanks for the feedback

6. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so quick to get excited. My wife is from South Williamsport, and it's still pretty much the middle of nowhere! Yes Williamsport proper is a city, but, aside from the Little League World Series, there's not a lot to do up there.

7. PhillySportsTeams.co

Mar 29, 2006
    Philly
    I'm very familiar with Williamsport. I know that when you travel 5 miles outside of town in any direction you are suddenly back in PENtucky. Believe me, compared to Batavia, NY- Williamsport is a metropolis & they sell Tastykakes up there & that has to be factored into it :) I know that Williamsport's park is a pathetic outdated dump compared to the brand new beauty down the road in State College but it is much closer than the outdated dump in Batavia!

8. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Bowman Field definately has its problems. I always say that Bowman Field is a Picnic Pavilion with a ball diamond attached to it. :)

But it's got a lot of historic value in an area of PA that puts a great deal of value on history, so I'm sure it'll be there for another 100 years.

9. The Major

The Major New Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Philadelphia
    I know its suppossed to be pro sports but was thinking maybe Penn State University Nittany Lion Football should be on there. They are the only collegiate I-A team in Pennsylvania that has, does and should ever matter in the great state of Pennsylvania. LET'S GO STATE!

p.s. Pitt sucks and doesn't count

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. PhillySportsTeams.co

Mar 29, 2006
    Philly
    Absolutely no chance of Penn State being included on the site. Including a college that isn't even in our coverage area just doesn't fly. Personally I'm a huge Penn State fan but this just isn't the site for it.

12. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coverage area?

State College is about 190 miles from Philadelphia, yet you've chosen to include teams from:

Scranton (125 miles)
    Harrisburg (107 miles)
    Lemoyne (107 miles)
    York (102 miles)

Why not include all of the Baltimore, MD teams (99 miles from Philly), and the New York City (99 miles) teams as well? You've included New Jersey & Delaware teams.

I'm a little confused by your "coverage" area.

13. PhillySportsTeams.co

Mar 29, 2006
    Philly