Need advice...Hiring an u-10 coach

Discussion in 'Coach' started by gyr0, Sep 22, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Ok, so I am the administrator of a new youth soccer club seeking to hire an U-10 coach for the upcoming season. Our teams feel it is important to hire a professional (meaning someone with experience and qualifications) to properly shape our young players. With this in mind, I have several questions for those with experience in this area:

1. How many days per week do u-10 teams generally practice?
    2. How are your coaches paid (full time salary, per hour or as volunteers)
    3. Talk about the screening/interview process you employ when hiring coaches.
    4. Talk about the qualifications you look for in a good coach.
    5. How might these differ for younger teams versus older teams?
    6. Do you require your coaches to sign waiver or release forms or obtain insurance of any kind? If so, could you direct our readers to sample links for these things?

Any assistance you can offer would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    From a business perspective, hiring a professional coach for only one U10 team doesn't make any sense. Either broaden the job description, or look for someone with the experience and qualifications, but who is not a professional coach. From a league adminstration standpoint, why hire a professional coach and only use him to train 15 or 16 9-year-olds.

3. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Alright, well say I am looking for an experienced coach at the u-10 level with coaching qualifications. Not necessarily a professional by trade, but someone who can work take on the position of director of coaching for this level.

Where would I advertise for such an individual?