Nebraska Cornhuskers '05

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GopherBob, Jun 29, 2005.

1. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Vern is a good ball-winner, she's kind of slow and technically deficient to be a strong d1 player.

2. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Well, that was a tough loss to Texas. It seems like NU has taken one step forward then one step back all year.

The game on Friday versus OU will be televised both locally and nationally. Since it is in the afternoon, at 4 p.m., I'll have to tape it and watch it after work.

3. lovinsoccer

lovinsoccer New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Timko is a good player but when she goes up against top players she is easily stopped such as U.S. team, NJ Wildcats team.same goes for Lang. Still good players though,

4. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Neither is 'easily stopped'. Sorry, but saying it's so doesn't make it true. You left out the facts to back it up.

The CWNT doesn't play Timko up front, so they don't expect a lot of goals from her. The Canadian U19 team did play her up front and she was the top scorer in Thailand - ahead of Germany's much ballyhoo'd young striker,Mittag, all Americans and Brazil's Marta. She was in other words, the best of her generation.

Lang just finished scoring a pair of back-to-back goals against the German senior WNT who are at least the USA's equal and definitely better than NJ. Of course, she also had that huge goal against Sweden in the WWC when she was all of 17 years old. She also had a WWC goal against Japan and put one off the post against the USA.

To put things in perspective, I'd like to see your list of the U19 US strikers (or any for that matter) who've scored back-to-back goals against the full German senior WNT. I won't hold my breath waiting.

Finally, would you say that Wambach, Welsh and Foropolous are also easy to stop when they go up against a good team like Australia? Still good players though. :)

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm not sure I'd go that far based just one that one tournament. Part of the reason she scored so many goals was because Canada was in a weak group. Still, her performance showed that she is equally dangerous scoring as she is passing.

I hope Canada continues to produce creative players like Timko, who can play attractive and exciting soccer.

Nebraska's trouble has been generating enough offense. While the "soft" goals against Purdue and Texas stand out, if NU had scored goals they could have overcome those miscues. With 3 home games in a row coming down the stretch, maybe they can get on a little streak. Plus, they always seem to play well in the conference tournament.

6. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I'm sure Ms. Timko would be flabbergasted to hear that remark.

In fairness to our American friends I seem to recall that Kerri Hanks was not completely healthy at the time of this tournament and Heather O'Reilly wasn't there.

7. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Huskers up 1-0 over Oklahoma after a beautiful Timko strike

8. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Crud, I forgot to set my VCR! :eek:

9. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Sooners tied the game up just before the half.

10. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm watching the end of the game on streaming video on the Internet. :D

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
  12. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Beautiful header goal by Timko off a nice ball from Jamani.

GO BIG RED!

2-1 Huskers with 11 left.

13. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I like the little car with the big football helmet.

14. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I thought the Sooners had scored with 6 min left. That header with 5 left should have gone in too.

15. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Huskers win 2-1

16. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Not without some tense moments. Isenhower stepping up and earning that free kick with a couple minutes left helped to relieve the pressure. Good result. A classy goal through Jamani and Timko, especially since they were basically the only two Huskers forward. Let's keep the momentum rolling right through the weekend!

17. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Canada was in a weak group? With Germany, Canada and Australia in it, I'd hardly call it a weak group. Thailand was weak, but Germany and Canada were arguably the two best teams in the tournament (they tied 3-3 in group play). After Canada got a brutal call in the first minute of their 1/4 final against China (losing their starting keeper, going down a man and a goal - all from one call), Germany went on to beat the USA 3-1 and China 3-0 to win the cup. Based on their 1/4 final results against the USA, Australia was stronger than 2 of the 3 other teams in the USA's group.

And well done Huskers! It's been a tough couple of years. Nice to see them pull off a win on national tv. :)

18. blake2003

blake2003 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    College Station, TX
    I watched the game on TV, good performance by both teams. Interesting to see their two contrasting styles collide.

What's up with the width of the Nebraska field? It seemed like any team that relies heavily on their outside mid's serving into the box might stuggle with the lack of space to work in. Anyone know the dimensions of the field?

19. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska beat Oklahoma State 3-2 today. They dominated the match but let OSU sneak in a couple.

Brittany Timko assisted on all three goals, her season stats are 6g and 17a.

Jessie Bruch, Selenia Iachellia and Sasha Andrews scored the goals.

20. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    It looks like it is the same width as Nebraska's former field at Abbott Sports Complex. According to Abbott's webpage, the field out there is 80 by 120 yards. The Husker webpage doesn't post dimensions of the field on campus, but the football team used to use the field for practice and the picture posted by the soccer team shows the football markings going across the width. There are 11 five yard markings, plus the 10 yard endzone, plus an additional strip beyond the endzone that looks to be about 5 yards. The soccer boundary lines go right to the edge of the grass.

On television the field looks narrow, but I think that's just because of the angle of the camera. Also, the track surrounding it might give an illusion of shrinking the field.

At Abbott, I think the field runs North-South, and the sun would be setting in the west at the start of 7:00 games. On campus, I think the field runs East-West. The sun isn't a big factor this year, because they don't have lights and play either early or late afternoon games. They should be okay, because there's a new expansion to that side of the football stadium, which should block the sun when it is done, but we'll see in future years if glare is a factor.

21. blake2003

blake2003 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    College Station, TX
    For some reason it just seemed extremely narrow. It could also have been the fact that right off the flags in the corners the grass ended where most fields stretch on for a few yards. Does anyone know if there is a league minimum size the field must be?

22. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Sorry. I'm an idiot. Can't do simple math. 5 x 12 is sixty, plus 10 is 70. I'd estimate the field to be slightly wider than 70 yards, which is more narrow than Abbott.

To compare, Spartan Stadium, which MLS fans sometimes complain about being too narrow, is also 70 yards.

NCAA rules specify that a field must be at least 65 yards wide and 110 yards long. The rule says that the "optimum" dimension is 75 yards by 120 yards. The rule also says that newly constructed fields must be at least 70 yards wide and 115 yards long.

23. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    After splitting the last 2 games, Nebraska is the #4 seed in the tournament and will play Kansas in the first round. The good thing about being the four seed is that if they beat Kansas, they would play in the televised semifinal game (probably against A&M) on Friday afternoon on FSN.

24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Huskers on TV again. 4:30 on Friday in the semifinal game against A&M. Now if I only knew how to change the clock on my VCR.... :confused: