Nebraska Cornhuskers '05

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GopherBob, Jun 29, 2005.

1. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska just can't buy a break.

The Huskers lost senior defender, 4 year starter, Aly Scace for the season before the Illinois game. They're already without starter Sari Raber for the season.

The Huskers lose the Illinois game on a fluke goal.

Now Nebraska is tied with SDSU 2-2 because of the terrible play of Katie Wright.

Then, Aysha Jamani, Nebraska's superfrosh and leading scorer, just went down with what sounded on the radio like a bad injury.

2. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Wow.

Nebraska scores on a Sasha Andrews goal with 4 minutes left.

3-2.

3. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Jamani is up after being carried off the field 5 minutes ago.

Must've been a stinger.

4. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    NU 1 29:09 Jamani, Aysha (3)
    SD 2 62:40 PIZ, Alicia (1) ; Assist: GIRDNER, Jessica
    SD 2 65:46 GIRDNER, Jessica (1) ; Assist: ELLIOTT, Tiphanie
    NU 2 82:57 Timko, Brittany (2) ; Assist: Baker, Nikki
    NU 2 84:53 Andrews, Sasha (1)

Huskers win.

Nebraska outshot SDSU 18-8 including a 12-4 advantage on goal.

Aysha Jamani led Nebraska with 5 shots, all on goal. Timko had 4 shots, 3 on goal.

Katie Wright isn't going to hold onto that keeper job for long, Klages must be an upgrade, even though she's 2-0 and Klages is 1-1.

5. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Sounds like SDSU gave UN all it could handle. My friend who watched them play Portland and Wash said they are a team that is really coming on. That score turned my head, especially leading UN with what, 8 min to go? To come in there and do that is impressive.

Sounds like UN will have to adjust with the injuries....and who knows what the keeper deal is. You called Klages from early on...surprised we didn't see her at all today...she didn't play, right? Lucky day for the Huskers.

6. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    If you have Katie Wright standing in goal, she's a decent keeper.

However, John Walker always has his keeper playing sweeper, and Katie isn't good enough at clearing the ball, nor is she quick enough getting back into the box when need be.

SDSU almost scored a third when Katie got caught out of the box, but she lucked out.

Klages fits Walker's style better, I think he's just playing Wright until Klages really becomes comfortable in the pipes.

Nice to hear that Jamani has figured out how to fit into the Nebraska system. She looked awful against Minnesota, however, she's starting now and is scoring goals and threatening all the time. To her credit, she said she was awful against Minnesota and has since improved.

7. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska upset 1-0 by Colorado College.

Nebraska outshot CC 13-6 but couldn't finish to save their lives.

Looks like the Huskers are going to struggle for a bit as they absorb the losses of Sari Raber and Aly Scace.

Timko's got to put this team on her back, but she might just be too tired after all of the committments.

Playing Friday vs. Illinois, Sunday vs. Germany, Tuesday vs. SDSU and Friday vs. CC is a bit too much IMO with all the traveling in between + schoolwork. Same with Andrews.

8. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Huskers 3 Rice 1

Rice gets on the board first.

Huskers get two goals from Sasha Andrews off of free kicks from Brittany Timko. Britt has 6 assists on the season, Andrews has 3 goals.

Selenia Iachelli scored her first goal as a Husker to seal the deal.

Wright got the win in goal. 2 saves, 1 goal against.

Next up: Purdue.

9. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    The Huskers are now having MAJOR issues.

Nebraska just lost to Purdue, 2-1, and lost another player to injury, Ali Lokank. Not sure how bad the injury is, but she didn't come back after going out at the 31' mark.

Jamani got on the board early for Nebraska on a scramble in the box after a corner, assists from Sasha Andrews and Brittany Timko.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with this team, but in the last few games, only the Canadians have been doing much of anything. Timko isn't scoring goals this season, Baker can't seem to score, now Aysha Jamani is the teams top goalscorer with 4.

Jesse Bruch was the team's leading scorer in '03, missed '04, and has contributed zero points thus far in '05. Guess that ACL injury took something away from her game. Iachelli is getting a lot of chances but isn't finishing.

4-3 with some underwhelming losses isn't going to cut it in Lincoln. The Huskers need to get their act together fast. They have way too much talento to be out of the top 15, let alone the top 25.

10. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Ali Lokanc is out for the season with a broken leg.

That's FOUR Huskers out for the season: Sari Raber, Aly Scace, Ali Lokanc and Brigid Kenny. Lokanc replaced Scace in the starting line-up a few weeks ago.

Ugh.

11. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Hello. I attended my first Husker game of the season, the UC Irvine game. First time to the new field on campus. My few random thoughts:

1. The new digs are terrible. There is no home atmosphere. At Abbott, the bleachers were right by the field, but on campus there is the track moving the fans a long way away. The quality of the pitch doesn't look as good compared to Abbott. It looks like a faster surface, but it is uneven in places where there is drainage and on the corners. More importantly, it looks dangerous to play on. On all sides of the side and end lines, you go almost immediately from grass to the hard track surface, and sometimes to the tarp covered long jump areas. Especially in Nebraska where you can get cold and slick weather in the winter and spring, the layout is just a disaster waiting to happen. Moving the games up in time (because they don't have lights yet) doesn't allow me to attend many games. One of the ideas behind the move was to get more students to attend the games, but against UC Irvine, it didn't look like there were many students at all, despite relatively good weather. The crowd was maybe half in size of a typical Abbott crowd.

2. Timko is the best player I've seen ever come through the program. And that's saying something when in just the last few years there's been talent like Nonen, Boyd and Latham.

3. The freshman keeper (Klages?), has talent, but she's far from finished. Agile, a strong leg, but indecisive and can get caught out of position. Maybe alot of it is having brand new defenders in front of her, due to all the injuries.

Overall, I think the team is on the right track again. Next year they should be really good and maybe they could be a dangerous team around postseason time this year if their freshman break through.

12. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska 2 Colorado 1 in Boulder.

Colorado scored first, but Nebraska scored twice in the second half. Both goals came off the head of Jessie Bruch off of Brittany Timko assists.

Brittany seems to be in on every single goal this season.

13. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Kiss all that depth goodbye.

The Huskers have added freshman reserve forward Lindsay Poehling to the list of players out for the season with injury. She joins Sari Raber, Aly Scace, Ali Lokanc and Brigid Kenney.

14. blake2003

blake2003 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    College Station, TX
    That really sucks! I always enjoy it when Nebraska comes to town... they just seemed to be jelling after a couple of uncharacteristic losses early in the season. A&M isn't in the same boat as you guys from what it sounds like, but we did lose two very highly rated recruits before the season started to injury. I still hope they have a successful campaign through the Big 12, that is, except in College Station! ;)

15. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Don't forget that the game against Missouri on Sunday is going to be televised on the college sports channel CSTV, which some people might have on satellite or expanded cable, and also locally on one of the NETV channels. The Oklahoma game later in the month will also be televised.

16. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Luckily I have CSTV.

One question though, given that the better women's matchup as a Husker fan or a neutral would be in volleyball, where Mizzou is just as classy, ranked similarly, and NU is the far and away #1 in every poll in exhistence; are you sure this is a soccer listing and not volleyball?

NU Volleyball has been all over CSTV because almost all of their matches are televised. Justifyably so as NU has an opportunity to be one of the best teams in the history of college volleyball. NU has beaten and mostly swept Top 5 Stanford, Hawaii twice - once in Honolulu, Minnesota (the only team to take a game), Penn St. and #20 Texas A&M. Not bad.

After I typed this, I checked the www.huskers.com website. Both are televised. The listing for CSTV is for soccer - Sun. at 1 pm. In volleyball, #1 NU travels to #7 MU in what might be the preview of the Big XII (eleven) title match. That is local and live on MetroSports in the KC area, and later on Fox Sports Midwest. Ill be watching both, you should too.

17. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Minnesota took two games off of Nebraska and lost 15-12 in the fifth set.

Pepperdine also took a game off Nebraska.

Beware of Missouri, they swept Wisconsin, a team that Minnesota just lost to 15-12 in the fifth set.

18. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska 0 Kansas 0

Gotta love those scoreless ties.

19. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska looked great today for their apperance on CSTV. That was the Nebraska team I had been looking forward to seeing this year. Perhaps the players are finally getting used to their new positions with all of the injuries?

Aysha Jamani opened the scoring in the fourth minute with a beautiful strike for her fifth goal of the season.

The second goal came from Jamani as well. Vern Fitzgerald nearly put the ball in the goal off of a Timko corner kick, and Jamani sent the rebound home.

The third goal came from Selenia Iachelli off of a Timko corner kick.

Jamani looked great before she went out with an injury midway through the second half (it didn't look to be severe, she was standing on the sidelines at the end of the game). It looks like she has figured out how to use her speed and possession abilities in the Nebraska system.

Timko is without a doubt one of the top players in the nation. I doubt there are many girls in the world who can place a corner kick as well as her. She now has eleven assists on the year, and she had a hand in the second and third goals. Her goalscorer has been down this season, but very few goals are being scored without a Timko touch at some point of the possession.

The defense was strong, Klages looked great as well in goal. She's won the goalkeeping job full time it seems. Nice to see three goals from the freshman plus the shutout from a freshman.

The Huskers are now 7-3-1 and look like they're on a roll at 2-0-1 in the Big XII.

20. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I missed the game. :(
    Not only is Timko a good college player, but she lit up the U-19 Worlds, showing that she can perform at the international level. Still, I think that sometimes Nebraska is too dependent on her. They try to direct everything through her, as if she was Maradona or something.

Jamani is a very exciting player, her speed with the ball at her feet makes her dangerous in the counterattack.

Why is Klages starting every game at goal now? Have they settled on her as the number one, or is something wrong with Wright? Klages is very talented, but every now and then, she's liable to do something that makes me go :eek:

21. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Klages is a much better keeper than Wright. Wright is average, Klages is on her way to being a Husker legend.

I think everyone knew Timko can perform on the international level, she's been starting on the Canadian Senior National Team for about four years now. It's apt to run most plays through her, she's that good.

22. cornbread1

cornbread1 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Can NU deal with the big doggs ie Portland,Penn ST, UCLA,and the like...this will be the question come tourney time.

23. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    No, I don't think the Huskers can play with the top teams. I think Nebraska is going to have to fight all the way through the conference just to qualify for an NCAA berth. There seems to be much more parity in the conference in recent years.

Still, would you want to play Nebraska in a single elimination tournament? They have a talented keeper and at least 2 players who can create a goal out of absolutely nothing. You could dominate NU for 89 minutes and lose 1-0.

My random thought of the day is underrated players. My favorite all time underrated Huskers are Becky Hogan and Christine Gluck. Are there any current Huskers that are flying under the radar but deserve recognition? I don't see the team enough to know.

24. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Nebraska has the defense and keeper to keep top teams struggling to score. They have the forwards to be extremely dangerous on the counterattack. Timko also serves some of the best corners and free kicks in the nation, always dangerous.

I don't think Nebraska has the depth or experience to go head to head with Portland or UNC this year, but they could definitely pull out a victory if things went just their way.

My favorite underrated Husker was Becky Preston. I don't think there's anyone particular underrated this year, but I do think that Lauren Isenhower is a tremendous talent that is just waiting for a breakout game.

25. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Are you just picking good looking players? :p :D

How about Vern Fitzgerald? (Edit: I mean for underrated ;) )