NE - new main rival?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by scaryice, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, it seems there is more than enough hate in the heart of Dallas fans to cover Chicago, DC and Houston. The real question for Dallas fans is what to do about RBNY and Dema. Four ways might be a bit much....

But you Chicago fans have no need to worry about your place in Dallas' hearts. Luckily for you, even with the new blood that has come in over the last two or three years, there are enough old school guys that the hatred for Chicago is not going to go away anytime soon.

(Short version of this post - "Why does there have to just be one?")

2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure - no problem jumping on the NE rivalry bandwagon. DC though? No way. I admire what the club has achieved both in the early and current incarnations. Further, Piotr is their coach. I really admire what he's done with the squad and therefore, while I want the Fire to defeat them each and everytime they play, I respect them as an opponent. Plus from a broader view from the individual match, I respect the club. Can't jump on the DC hate.

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    A couple of points. If you admit that there can be a discussion as to whether there is currently a rivalry, then in my mind, it never really was one. There are lots of instances in sports where two specific teams of players and their fans have an intense period of competition, but as the players change and the teams fortunes change, the intensity fades.

I grew up in KC. In the late 70s and 1980, the Royals and Yankees met 4 times in the playoffs, often ending in dramatic fashion. As a young pup, I assumed it was the greatest rivalry in the history of sports (next to the Chiefs Raiders). It wasn't. It was too very good teams butting heads at the same time.

Second point. I didn't make the factual statement that the rivalry was contrived. I said, "It seems to me . . ." which is a very important distinction. I am definitely not pooh poohing how other people feel about dallas and I admit there were some great heated games early in our existence.

Personally, I feel that we had bigger games that caused elation or blood boiling with LA. Two semifinals in our first four years and I believe two USOC semis in consecutive years. I hated the players on that team, but the only one left is Ms. Cobi.

I do think LA/Chivas has a chance to develop quickly. geographical teams may turn into true rivals sooner rather than later. But, in my own personal opinion, I don't feel it with Dallas.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I have more respect for DC United than any of the other 10 "non Fire" teams in MLS, but I still hate losing to them and love shutting their fans up. Anyone who was at the playoff game in RFK last year knows what I'm talking about.

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Columbus is like Milwaukee-- it's a convienent place for Chicago fans to go see a game at, but really, it's not a rivalry. Not in my opinon.

6. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee was chosen the drunkest city in America by Forbes, Columbus and Chicago are in the top ten. :)

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  8. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    There is no D.C. hate bandwagon. Every other team in the league has hated D.C. since 1998. I mean we hate them less because we actually beat them in an MLS Cup and all but D.C. United is the closest thing MLS has to a New York Yankees and always has been.

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All a got to say is New England has a bunch of cry babies on there team. For one if Dempsey does want to play in the league just leave right now, because your making are league look bad with all your dirty play. He's the one that start the almost bench clearing brawl at the US OPEN CUP game. Joey "F----N HACKMASTER" Franchio (sp), Jay Heaps , and even Taylor Twellmen what a bunch of babies.

10. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    God I wish DC and Chicago were close enough to do one-day bus trips. The rivalry would outshine anything we've seen in MLS.

*sigh*