[NDR] Who have the best soccer broadcast?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by santeroatomico, Jun 17, 2007.

1. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    I am bilingual and I have noticed that Spanish soccer broadcast are more entertaining than English ones.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Re: Who have the best soccer broadcast?

I don't even speak Spanish and think theirs are more entertaining.

3. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't speak Spanish (Spanish II in HS) either and the Spanish ones are way better.

Plus on Telefutura they always show hot chicks in stands, and the commercials always feature girls with their tits hanging out..

4. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

We need to add a poll.
    FSC
    ESPN
    Telefutura

5. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do not mind ESPN, but I know some people do not like it.

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You must be in my Spanish 2 class, you don't speak Spanish and you think you're seeing girls with their tits hanging out everywhere. :D

Sometimes the Spanish broadcasts just get too flowery with all their descriptions, especially with some of their praise. But they are emotional, and that's cool. I really don't see anything wrong with ESPN either, I think they do a great job and Wynalda et al are really pretty good, I don't see why people complain about them. I know a lot of people absolutely hate them. The Fox guys sometimes are a little lame, but really I give credit to anybody bringing soccer in English to the masses. And you should include HDNet in your poll, because Glenn is one of the best.

7. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm moving to East Bernard!! :D

[​IMG]

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sometimes the Spanish broadcasts bother me because the broadcasters make fun of people for their names, like the way they say Ching and Bornstein. The highlights and analysis seems to be better on the Spanish stations though.

9. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Spanish broadcasts are better, no doubt.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    poll

I agree that the Spanish language broadcasts are generally more entertaining, but it still depends on the broadcast team. Pablo Ramirez is a little over the top for me and he spends too much time chatting aimlessly, much like the ESPN announcers. I used to really like Andres Cantor, but he's really been coasting for the last ten years or so. I lost a lot of respect for him when he did MLS broadcasts. It's not that Cantor was critical - he was just lazy and unprofessional. My favorite broadcaster, in perhaps any language I know, would be Jorge Ramos. I think he has the right combination of enthusiasm, knowledge, and pacing.

11. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Re: poll

I do not mind ESPN but FSC does not do anything for me. the only issue I have with Spanish broadcast is that they do not go to the games but do the braodcast from a studio and some times miss the action specially cards.

12. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering about that.

13. Dynamo_Joe

Dynamo_Joe Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    1. Glenn Davis on HDNet & 55 (get rid of Charlie P ).
    2. Ray Hudson doing La Liga matches on Goltv (would love to hear Ray call a Dynamo match)
    3. Spanish Broadcasters
    4. FSC (if there isnt one, a drinking game for every time max bretos emphasizes some spanish surname during a match. You might be drunk by the 7th minute if you are watching an argentine match.)

99. ESPN

14. flint

flint New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Sugar Land
    Broadcasting from a studio! Man, that sucks. That's like minor league baseball radio broadcasts which used "wire re-creation" for away games. At least you knew the broadcasters were faking it.

I don't know his name, but the announcer who yells, "GOOOOOOOOOOL" for 2 minutes after a score sounds professional and very entertaining, to me. I wish I understood Spanish.

What I can't stand are announcers of any sport who obviously haven't done any homework and their "insights" is stuff they're reading off a piece of paper put in front of them. That said, I'll bet some of the espn2 guys hate soccer and know vitually nothing about the game.

I think Glenn Davis is tops. Granted he's no John Madden, but his knowledge and love of the game, make him very easy to listen to. I look for him to write a book someday titled Dynamo: The First Five Years with lots of pictures. I'll have an autographed copy on my coffee table.

15. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was too bad that Jorge Ramos basically lost his job to Cantor when Telemundo made their big swoop to sign Cantor and Jessi Losada away from Univision a few yrs ago. Does anyone know if Ramos is calling matches on TV anywhere right now?

And re calling games from a studio - I believe FSC was calling MLS games from their studio in LA until the new TV deal this yr. And it may be apples and oranges somewhat, but I think we've all gotten pretty used to ESPN calling the CL from the studio in Bristol...

16. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Jorge Ramos is on Fox Sports en Espanol. He also does a very entertaining call-in show with some great banter (Hernan Pereyra )and great eye-candy.

i agree w/Anderson & Zola that as far as US based announcers Jorge Ramos is tops. my 2nd favorite would be Fernando Schwartz (color guy).

17. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    U.S. soccer announcers are absolute rubbish with no exceptions. I envy the British who are absolutely supberb at calling and analysing a game. If I had a choice of listening to Martin Tyler or any of the American announcers, the answer is obvious.

Do us a favor ESPN, FSC, and ABC .....do what the Canadians and Aussies do.....get the British announcers please?

18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i actually feel sorry for those of you of the caucasian persuasion that don't understand spanish. if i had to listen to Max Bretos i would of ended my life by now.

19. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell, I don't "really" understand Spanish and I still wished we'd had Telefutura on instead of FSC when we were watching US-Panama at the Mezz on Sat...

20. Marquez

Marquez Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Houston
    Whoever voted for FSC needs to be shot in the face.

Unless you count the absolutely horrible camera work and analysis that sounds like its coming from a third grader entertaining.

See you in the North End

21. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    I don't speak Spanish but I switched to Univision after the first few games of the World Cup. I was sorely disappointed with the American commentators and am very pleased to see others voicing their disgust and disappointment with ESPN/ABC World Cup coverage.

I complained with ESPN on numerous occasions since 2002 but they still persist with such annoying morons as Dave O'Brien, Balboa, Messing, Harkes, Wynalda et al.

As I've stated previously I ended up watching Spanish coverage of the last World Cup which was much more informative and exciting despite my lack of Spanish.

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, the good thing about FSC is, well, it's soccer.... :rolleyes:

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You rang?

[​IMG]

24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would maybe vote GolTV but I can't stand the stupid People'sPC commercials they run continuously at halftimes. Not only is it an annoying commercial, PPC doesn't even support Macs, so they rank at the bottom of my interest level.

25. flint

flint New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Sugar Land
    I was in England during Wimbledon once. The word to describe their announcers is "restraint", which is something all network announcers here lack. About 20 years ago, ABC did an experiment by having an NFL game with no announcers at all, just silence and commericials. Obviously, it failed to impress since it was never repeated. However, I wish they would try it again with only one announcer, a play-by-play guy. My all-time favorite was Frank Gifford.

Well, soccer would have to be an exception since it's so fast and there are things happening on the field the camera can't pick up. Last summer, I watched a number of World Cup games at lunch at a little Mexican restaurant near downtown that had a TV on a Spanish station. The announcers seemed to be exactly what the crowd wanted with their 90 MPH, non-stop commentary.