[NDR] USA vs Mexico - Day of Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by *rey*, Feb 10, 2009.

1. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
  2. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Call me a hypocrite, but I loved what the fans were saying last night to Sanchez during goal kicks. My hypocritical excuse is his dirty play going after our player two years ago (or whenever it was). now we have figure out something ot yell at that loser Paco.

3. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it was a Nike ball... :D

4. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Rey... :D

5. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, judging by your text I think I just bumped you back to #2. :D

6. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    roflol!!

Oye, Mexico has a history of playing their not-so-best football in Columbus, so I'm not reading too much into last night as to how they'll play the rest of the tournament. They will likely get better.

Azteca Stadium. August 12th. If USA FINALLY beats Mexico in Mexico City, then the US statement will be made. But I think we've gotten to the point a few years ago where if it's USA vs. Mexico in the US, then the US are the favorites. There was no upset last night.

7. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when Mexico made there first change they put up the wrong names.

8. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I forgot about that, they said it was Pardo coming in, Pardo was playing and kept playing.

And a minor thing, I heard the stadium announcer tell the crowd that Howard had received a yellow card, it took forever for the ESPN guys to let us know, and they never explained what it was for.

9. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they even said the card for Howard was for the marquez incident.

10. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was for time wasting

11. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't chimed in...Mexico is still Mexico lol

12. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was. But I think the announcers saidit was for the Marquez incident. I mention this cause we're doging the ESPN telecast.

13. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    USA vs Mex is like

GER vs England ( f. them ! ) OR
    Bra VS Arg

so ya'll get used to emotions. :D

did i mention Deutschland vs re-wheel inventer England ??? :cool:

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. Now those two are competing on who can make a more rediculously knuckling ball than the other? The whole thing is out-of-hand. That ball dipped 4 feet over the last 5 yards. Only Tony Caig would have kept it out because he would have been out of position in the first place.

15. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oye, back to this USA-Mexico thing. I love America, but there's nothing to brag about yet. The US beat Mexico at home. That's what they're SUPPOSED to do. Back in the day, Mexico was the best team in America. Now, America is the best team in America. What, do we deserve a cookie? That's not dominance yet; that's handling your business and fixing a "glitch" or a "flaw". Mexico does the same thing in Azteca. They handle their business. I'm tired of Americans selling ourselves short, and other countries "expecting" to win in America.

Neither team's fans have anything to brag about or feel bad about yet. If the US win in Mexico for the first time, THEN it can celebration/depression session depending on which side you cheer for. THAT would be progress for America. Until then, no one should read into Mexico playing not-so-well in Columbus when America has been getting home-field results there for a decade now.

16. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We win here, they win there, we both beat the other little countries who fight it out for the other spots. Then we go to S. Africa and we both screw up again. Same old same old. :D

17. katom

katom New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    stuttgart
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know... it would have been pretty hard to chest a ball that low to the ground...

18. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoMos PuRo HoUSton!

:D hitches please!

All I have to say is that once again , Houston folks showed everyone that a USa and Mexico EB party can coexist for a WCQ match!

We threw it down with duel National Anthems sung at the top of our lungs! with respect and had a great time.

I don't give a flip about what all the jaiters on both sides say!
    I can rep my colors any which way I like, todo mesclado y boracho.
    Call me a fakexican, Guildo y OSo Blanco, Border ticket baby or mo ja do
    Really doesn't make me mad anymore, just proves how narrow minded some folks are. Yeah I tend to be silly or tonto sometimes but it's all in trying to make ppl laugh and having a good time , but if you can't take it ..then fcuk u!

:D <TooT TooT>

19. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SoMos PuRo HoUSton!

(reposting this part since it got moved)

The outcome was what I hoped/expected for this game. I also expect Mexico to win in August. Like Flippin said, you're supposed to win at home.

What surprises me are the people that are worried that Mexico might not qualify for 2010.

20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    speaking of getting all worked up.

did anyone watch Futbol Picante post-game show on ESPN "Ocho"? seriously, i thought one of those fools was going to pop a vein and die live on TV. for entertainment value/pure comedy, Futbol Picante is the best soccer show on TV hands down. i'm convinced one of the days during a heated argument one of those dudes is going to reach across the desk and knock someone else out.

EDIT - for the unintiated or non-spanish speaking peeps, Futbol Picante is a roundtable ESPN show with a focus on Mexican soccer. its very similiar concept to "Around the Horn"/"PTI" with personalities very similiar to Stephen A. Smith, Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, Jay Mariotti, Woody Paige, etc all sharing one desk. on the 1560 soccer show i/we try to bring the same vibe, but in English and obviously not that entertaining (yet). :D

PS - so now when you're trolling the Mexico boards and someone says "Futbol Picante is going to be fun tonight, i'm stopping to pick-up a six pack on the way home" you know what they're referring to.

21. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is more based on there form last year, as opposed to losing to us. the thinking goes; if we barely get by Jamaica and Canada, can we get by Costa Rica, Honduras, and the U.S.?

22. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mexico would have to get a lot worse to lose to those teams at Azteca. Even on current form, they are good enough to take points off of Costa Rica and Honduras at home and they can easily beat T&T and ES on the road. Mexico may be hitting a poor patch but there's no way they are not qualifying for 2010.

23. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mexico doesn't have to fight for first, they just have to get second or third. Worst case they have a play-in with someone from South America, but I don't see that happening.

24. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm almost certain they will qualify, but I could definitely see it coming down to the wire for them, like the US qualifying campaign for the 2002 cup. I've never seen a Mexico team so out of sorts as the one in Columbus the other night. Sure, Guardado would have made a huge difference, but that team was a long way off of being a power house. All you folks who are so sure they are going to beat us when we go to the Azteca, I'm not so sure. They have six months to get it together, but without some substantial improvement, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us come out of there with a point or three.

25. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

What score does Mexico need for satisfaction? Does it have to be a 2-0 or a wider margin? Does a tightly contested 1-0 victory mean much?

On the other hand, would the US call it a moral victory if they lose 1-0 in Azteca with 100k opposing fans? It'll mean more for the US winning there than losing.

But what's been said is true. The US's advantage is that there is little to no media pressure. The fact that Miguel Tejada took over the front page of the Sports section leaving the US/Mexico game as a blurb is appalling. (..self-censoring rant on the media..)

The important games will be collecting full points against the other CONCACAF opponents at home and stealing some points away.