NDR: Soccer Goes Digital With Intelligent Ball

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Dynamo_Forever, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was interesting there was still controversy after adding an offical behind each goal. It's amazing how quickly a well struck ball can be in and out of the goal.

Link

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it looks like MLS will probably implement goal-line technology next season: click here.

3. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember the adidas ball the MLS started using in 2008 had goal line chip technology in it. the teamgeist 2.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sort of thinking we could get competent ball boys going first before we got into goal-line technology. Actually, decent refs would should come first.

I have no doubt that somehow, someway, if MLS is a test league that there will be a system error in a game, when a ball clearly doesn't go across the line but the system lights the goal light or whatever it is. Just seems par for the MLS course.

*rey* repped this.
  5. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it will benefit the Galaxy or Red Bulls..... LMAO! They should put lights on the goal posts too and do away with offsides. Just add another line about 30 yrds from the goal line that offensive players can't cross until the ball does.

I think something needs to be done, after all if you score a goal you should get the point. At the same time I don't know if it needs to a micro chip in the ball solution. With enough camra angles you should be able to tell if the ball went in. Why is there never a straight down view for replay? It seems pretty simple if the cross bar is the same width as the goal line a top down view should show if the ball completly cross the plane. Part of the ball is either touching the line or it isn't....why do we need micro chips?

6. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that if the ball hits the cross bar hard enough, the shaking might affect the cameras.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I think the main benefit is that the ref can be notified immediately if the ball goes in, as opposed to having to stop play and review it.