[NDR] Official Beckham scuttlebutt/musings/etc. thread, part II [R for LAG games]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Huh, correct me if I'm wrong girls but didn't Beckham injure his knee?? and the injury he had was in his ankle??
    Beckham look real good at the start of the match. but he crashed with El Pollo Salazar fighting for a ball.

2. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It twas his ankle that has been injured. But playing injured often leads to more injuries. It was the knee on his right leg, whereas it's been his left ankle that is causing him problems so maybe it's not directly related, even still he doesn't look to be near mobile enough and I think that's why he's trying to so hard to get involved in unnecessary challenges like the one yesterday. He probably went to ground because he couldn't get to the ball fast enough.

3. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His ankle hasn't been 100% since he got here. Apparently, he messed it up more in one of the recent league games (Chitvas?) Now, only an MRI will tell him what he did to his knee. He needs to get healthy if he wants to play and be effective in the long run, IMO.

4. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    This will give him 4 weeks of rest and he will be ready for a sell out crowd in Houston in Oct 7.

5. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic, but playing injured and ultimately getting more injuries, is the reason I hope Brad, Stuie and Waibel don't come back until they are healthy and ready to play 100%.

6. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I agree with Rooney even though he is ignoring me.

I agree about letting them come back slowly. We have a long time till the playoffs start, lets rest and concentrate on another cup.

7. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The minute I saw him go down, I hate to say it but the first thing I thought of was, "There's gonna be a lot of disappointed Dynamo fans holding tickets to the LA Galaxy match early Oct."

I don't think he'll recover in time.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No reason to be dissapointed. The Dynamo will be makin a run towards the SS and that'll be exciting enough. Plus the players always play harder (1st game of the year notwithstanding) when playing the Gaylaxy

9. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're absolutely right.

I should have clarified my earlier post by saying a lot of "first time" ticket holders who were primarily going to see Becks.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p

Fair enough...I knew what you meant but just wanted to give some reasons for people to come....of course, those first timers don't read this so it is moot.

11. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    knee scan today, officially sprained medial collateral ligament, out six wks...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_y...ug=ap-galaxy-beckhaminjured&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm guessing it will be a little less crowded than I feared in the press box on Oct. 7...;)

12. elementbr10

elementbr10 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Texas City, TX
    Yeah, so if people want to drop their prices back to reasonable, what has two thumbs and still wants to go? This guy.

13. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Beckham possibly out for 6 weeks...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=458681&cc=5901

He suffered a sprained knee last night, so that would put him out for the game against us. Hmmm. Boo freaking hoo. I really wanted to see him, but I sorta want to laugh at this whole situation, but at the sametime I guess it's bad for the league and all that stuff. This could be good for the Galaxy in the long run, just let the guy get his rest, sign another big name DP in the offseason and get Klinsmann in as coach and you've got a nice and new traveling circus ready for next season.

Ah, just one more reason to say thanks Joseph for that exceptional penalty kick. Ok, I think I'm past it again.

Mod: Sorry if this should have been put in one of the existing Beckham/ Galaxy threads.

14. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. I'm sure all the people who bought 5 or 10 game ticket packs to watch the worst team in the league are going to be lifelong fans now. :rolleyes:

Good call MLS.

15. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple look-on-the-bright-side things to this whole thing:

1) At least Becks finally gets to rest. If he were fine at the end of yesterday's game, he wouldn't be the next, and probably would have been overplayed to the point where he'd limp around the field every game.

2) It gives people another reason to look forward to the 2008 season. We'll all get to see how Becks plays at 100%.

3) MLS and AEG have now learned what NOT to do in terms of marketing a single person by giving his team an unfair schedule while calling him "just another player on Galaxy", and hopefully will not lose their minds next time they hire a star like that.

4) If his goal in signing with LA Galaxy was to get more people talking about soccer and/or MLS in America, getting more people to league games, and getting more kids interested in the sport, he's already succeeded.

5) He's going to be more motivated than ever to prove something next year and take his name to a new level. As a result, the main goal for him on Galaxy will be to stay on the England team all the way to Euro 2008 and/or World Cup 2010, and to win a major championship with Galaxy. That alone makes every championship available to MLS teams taken up a notch in terms of importance in the soccer landscape. Not saying MLS Cup's automatically Champion's League because of him, but it's going to be more appreciated to the team that wins for the next five years, than if he didn't come into the league.

16. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    He more likely will win with Galaxy a MLS championship as England will qualify for Euro 2008 ? or win even anything .... 41 years, still standing with empty hands...

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    whoa...i never realized that england has never won the Eurocup....no really you would think that the country with the best domestic league in the world would of at least pulled a 2nd place finish out of their hats.

ps - i remember the english league before it was the EPL. that's why its hard for me to digest what some of you newbies try to push. cue CeltTexans "potato-patch post" in 5..4..3..2..

pps - no really, i hadn't realized that they had never won it.

18. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    they were never ever in an Euro final .And the WC they won 41 years ago ...and no, I won't comment the Wembley goal ....
    So here you go, Beckhams chances to win a MLS title are much better as with his glorius English national team to win anything !http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_European_Football_Championship

19. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I hear what you are saying and i understand it, but it sure sucks seeing those ten extra tickets i bought for that game looking like they will sell for under face value now rather than paying for my season tickets for next year.

oh yeah, and rooney is still ignoring me. i guess that is how those tu people roll.

20. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN Soccernet updated the wire service story they and and Yahoo ran yesterday with this little tidbit (new item in bold) -

8-10 wks would mean the rest of the season. But it also cracks me up somehow that Ryan Seacrest is breaking MLS news...

21. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, both Seacrest and Beckham are connected to Simon Fuller . . .
    :rolleyes:

22. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    duh, thanks, that should have jumped right out at me...

BTW, LA goalkeeping coach Tim Hanley (who had been with Hou last yr, but joined LA this yr to be back home in Calif.) was "dismissed from the team for 'personal reasons,'" to be replaced by Ian Feuer...

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_6745438

I recall Feuer as a keeper in MLS w/NE, also played for Colorado, and in Belgium and England.

23. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're interested at all in Beckham's history so far here in MLS you should catch a replay of today's Fox Soccer Fone-In (there's one at 10pm, there will be many others I believe). Alexis is in the studio for the second hour and at least in my opinion it was interesting. Both the hosts and the callers ask Alexis many of the questions people here have been asking and Alexis does his best to answer them. Many of his answers are along the lines of "hey, the Galaxy is in a position that no other MLS team has ever been in, we're sailing in uncharted waters and we're bound to make some mistakes." Which is really lame I think, it's much like the US getting into Iraq, why do it without a plan? Some of his comments, though, are insightful. It's particularly interesting when they go game by game through the progression of his MLS/England summer, beginning with his last games in England and Spain, going to the press conference, then his games here. They ask if ESPN or MLS ever put pressure on the team or Beckham to play. He didn't deny that ESPN might have pressured them in his first game against Chelsea. The one thing they forgot to mention was about the SuperLiga final, many people suggested he shouldn't have played but they never brought that up. Alexis did say the game brought pride to MLS and to Galaxy.

There were lots of other interesting moments. Lalas does hold up well under the assault of Galaxy fans calling to complain about the season. My favorite part is when one of the hosts asks him if AEG would like the Galaxy to do as well as their other teams, and Alexis says, "they'd like us to do as well as Houston!" Ha! In your dreams, Alexis! :D

25. Yo_soy_rayado5

Jun 16, 2006
    El Norte
    lol beckham should have known not to go against el pollo salazar in a 50/50