[NDR] Official Beckham scuttlebutt/musings/etc. thread, part II [R for LAG games]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Jul 21, 2007.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Dynamo adidas 2008 gear (pic-heavy)

That does not back your claim at all. You did not say Beckham sold the most, you said Beckham sells more than all the other sports combined.

Let's say Peyton Mannings sells the most football jerseys and he sells more jerseys than individuals in other leagues. Does that mean he sells more than all other football players combined? I don't think so.

The article that you cited says:

Show me a statistic that says fewer than 200,000 football, basketball, and baseball jerseys were sold and then you might have an argument.

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again that article was one week in to the Beckham debut and the new jerseys were unveiled for only about a week and a half. There have been many more sales and I can't find it but on the ESPN telecast and on PTI they said that Beckham had sold more jerseys than MLB, NBA, and NFL combined.

3. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

So just the three leagues now, not the three sports total?

You sure there weren't other qualifiers?

How recently did you hear this "fact"? I'll do some research and see what I can find.

It might be true, it might not be true. I'll believe it either way if I see some confirmation.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  6. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=ro-beckham080607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Still can't find what you're looking for but I'm sure I heard it from Wynalda's lips.

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I know Becks sold a lot of jerseys but I can't believe he surpassed any of those names. Here is an article from LeBron's rookie year stating 600,000 sold that year (between June and December). I realize it is a different year but he goes from number one at 600K to the number 1 this year being below 200K?

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/2003/1202/1676476.html

Neither the NBA of NFL release numbers to the public so it can be hard to actually find the truth.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I'll believe that the Beckham jersey is Sports Authority's best selling jersey. No problem. But more than all their other jerseys combined? Hard to believe.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WTF how thick is your skull? Sorry...

BECKHAM SOLD MORE THAN 200,000 JERSEYS. More. He sold 200,000 BEFORE... BEFORE THE FIRST GAME HE PLAYED.

He's probably sold 1 million or more by now.

Sorry I'm just getting fed up with the fact that people don't understand he sold more than 200,000.

Go Dynamo!

10. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it means anything, I've never ever seen a David Beckham jersey around East Bernard.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen many Beckham jerseys anywhere, except during the LA/Dynamo game, when DB wasn't here.

11. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a few around Houston at random times.

12. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Beckham and the LAG vs Houston

I dunno if this has been mentioned before but I've been wondering why Becks and the LAG get to play 3 matchs in Dallas this year.
    One of the matches was a preseason match to make up for Becks missing the match in Dallas last year, but IIRC I don't remember seeing Becks in H-town with the Galaxy for last years match in October. The MLS schedule makers threw FCD a bone with 2 Galaxy matches in Frisco this season and then Becks and the Galaxy added the preseason match to make up for last year and I think that's bulls--t.
    The Galaxy should have played a preseason match in Houston instead of Dallas since they(LAG) will only be in Houston once this season. They were scheduled to be in Dallas twice already and could have used one of the matches in Dallas this season as a makeup game to those who bought tickets for last seasons match that Becks missed.

I know some prob. don't care about Becks or the Galaxy hype but for the most part it's been proven that the fans come out when Becks and the Galaxy are in town.

I just thought of that and think it sux.

14. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Re: Beckham and the LAG vs Houston

I can't remember exactly what the deal was, but FCF and their fans got all worked up about missing out on Beckham, so they got the make up game. I think they were the first ones to sell it like he would be there and have him miss out because his ankle wasn't fully healed from the Real Madrid injury... so a bunch of people who could have cared less about FCF went flocking out to the burbs and didn't get to see golden balls. I just don't know what the big hang up was that got them the make up game... the same thing happened to most of the other teams but they didn't get special treatment.

Yeah it's weak that they don't come here until the next to last week, I just hope they have something to play for that week. I'm not a Beckham lover but even I would be a little miffed if he didn't play because they were resting him for the playoffs.

With all that said, we were a penalty shootout away from hosting the Beckhams in the Superliga Final. Thanks, Joe!

15. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember reading that when he was first signed. Here's hoping he actually follows through and sticks with it.

17. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious if when Beckham says he's planning on buying a team if he means "I'm going to buy a current one," or "I'll bring in an expansion team."

18. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering the same thing.

Anyone else think that NYC#2 is being reserved for his royal highness?

19. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping it's an existing team. I really don't want to see (nor expect to see) MLS expand to more than 18 teams after the next few rounds of expansion (Philly in 2010 and the two teams that might come in 2011).

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. The USL just swooped in and "claimed" that market

21. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so dumb. That team is just drawing fans away from RBNY.

22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RedBull is doing enough to keep fans away from RBNY than anything USL will ever do.

23. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you taken a look at Red Bull Arena yet?

24. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it on good authority that the team Beckham will be buying is FC Dallas.

Apparently Becks and Posh were talking to their kids and Becks said "When I finally retire from football, I'm going to buy you an MLS team"

One of the kids (not sure which one) said "Daddy, I don't want an MLS team, I'd rather have a Mickey Mouse outfit".

Becks said "Ok FC Dallas it is then"

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah...quite lovely. AEG knows how to design a stadium, I'll give them that.

However, RedBull has done nothing to market the team in NY/NJ that wasn't already being done by previous management.

Meaning they may not be as bad as Dallas, but that's not saying much, either.