[NDR] Official Beckham scuttlebutt/musings/etc. thread, part II [R for LAG games]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Jul 21, 2007.

1. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yey, Bex played against Chelsea (did you enjoy that rey? :D) and did nothing but walk around all game long and complain about the ref and how he wasn't getting the ball.

Who the f is David Beckham?

2. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: [NDR] Official Beckham scuttlebutt/musings/etc. thread

I felt something - I think it might have been a bowel movement, though.

Seriouxly, I'm glad they suit-n-ties were able to put on such a spectacle as that at the Tool Box, but just in case any of you hadn't noticed, I saw a fairly decent game going on in the background.

Just... wow.

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was a pretty good game, and the Galaxy looked better than they have all year I think. It was sort of hard to see while watching for Beckham ankle updates, are his shoes on? off? half on, half off? He stood to clap for that goal attempt, wow, and it didn't look like his ankle bothered him while he was clapping!!

I did like the show before the game about Beckham, it was really interesting. Another thing that I thought was funny, during the game, Drew Kerry (I forget how to spell his name) kept worrying about being interviewed so he wouldn't look like the interview during the MLS game that was going on while the MLS scored a goal. Then he said that people need to come out and watch the game in person, since it's a lot more fun than watching it on tv, which made the ESPN guys really nervous and have to argue that it's really fun watching it on ESPN also.

4. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston

lol..i was laughing during the entire drew carey interview too. dude kept looking back and was talking to the reporter while his face was turned back to the game. hilarious.

5. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town

F. Beckham .Ok people are talking now about football ( soccer for ya'll)

Beckham , big deal ......

6. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    [NDR] Things I Learned Tonight Watching Chelsea and LA [R]

Don't merge this thread Anderson or Nobius, because this is not just a Beckham thread.

After watching Chelsea and LA tonight, I heave learned some very important things. Here is the short list.

1. Celebrities who know nothing about soccer are more interesting than a game. Please Jennifer Love Hewit, soccer fans call you a "Bandwagon Jumper" for not being at soccer games sooner. Your career was over a long time ago, so please do us a favor and disappear.

2. Arnold Schwartzenegger cannot pronounce California. Arnold, you cannot be governor of a state you cannot pronounce. I think your term as governor has been as successful as your role in that movie where you played a pregnant guy. PATHETIC!!!!

3. Eric Wynalda will bang a blow up doll of Victoria Beckham. He will also make sure the blow up doll is wearing sunglasses. I thought you were better than this Eric.

4. David Beckham stood up twice in the first half, and then touched the ball while he was warming up. I do not need to see the highlights of that.

5. Steve Sidwell is now one of my favorite players. Great tackle!

6. Kelly Gray can play good soccer. Well done tonight Kelly!

7. Landon Donovan will be a whiny b**** because he is not willing to give up a couple of corner kicks and free kicks. Landon, you cannot strike the ball as well as Sir Beckham, so do us a favor and step aside.

8. Landon Donovan will disappear off the face of the earth, just like he did in the World Cup. Landycakes will not be able to take the pressure, so look for his sorry a** to be traded soon. With the first pick in the 2008 Expansion Draft, the San Jose Earthquakes select, Landon Donovan!

9. Abel Xavier is a beast, but he was probably all hopped up on Steroids. You know, he is not too far from BALCO! (Hint, Hint!)

10. Rob Stone has a huge man crush on Becks and would probably engage in nasty man sex with him if he could.

11. LA will still not make the playoffs because they have no one that cannot put the ball in the net. Alan Gordon? Carlos Pavon? Landon Donovan? LA needs a goal scorer and needs one bad.

12. $80 for a David Beckham jersey is way too much for me most of the time, but to have a piece of American soccer history, I shelled it out. Call me a turn coat, call me a traitor, I don't mind. Seeing the crowd and the excitement was big for soccer here in the States, and I hope that this is a sign of things to come. Excitement is something that we need to continue to generate, and I hope that Beckham, Blanco, Angel, and who ever else decides to come to MLS can be productive and successful.

13. I really miss Heather Mitts sideline reporting.

14. Chelsea dominated the game, got their goal, and won. You might not have seen that if you just watched Sportscenter. Not bad for a team that has only been training 10 days. A perfect 3-0-0 in the US is a good start.

That is all,

Senor Cool :cool:

7. Cmack

Cmack Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Pearland
    Re: Things I Learned Tonight Watching Chelsea and LA

I said the same thing as soon as he made the tackle. It took huge balls to do what he did.

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Things I learned while watching LA for 20 minutes when I got to the Mezz:

LA sucks. We got 3 points in the bag on Oct 7.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great points Senor Cool. I agree Landy Donovan is a **********.

Kelly Gray looks like he can play soccer because half the guys on the Galaxy can't even connect a single pass.

I'm really worried though because my friends watching the game with me at my house wanted to know what the big deal was when he came on. One of them confused Kyle Martino with Beckham a couple of times and when I pointed out Beckham later on in the game they were like WTF he didn't do anything. I wonder how many non-soccer fans felt the same.

10. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I seriously thought he was about to say, "just go away and let me watch this game." I think he was almost going to say it.

Then Arnold came on and wouldn't shut up, something about passing, shooting, and kicking and ball control, for about 10 minutes. And how all American kids play football and baseball, and all Austrian kids play soccer. I don't think Arnold has been paying attention for the last 20 years. :D

11. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007

Oh that was a soccer match? I thought it was the David Beckham Arrives on the Bench Show. We saw him take his boots off, put them on, scratch his head, adjust his socks, and oh yes, we got to see Pouty Spice talking to some dude . I must have missed the game part...

I hope that type of broadcasting ends soon. It was all about will he, when will he and here he comes :confused:

12. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You forgot one, we also got to see him adjust his c0ck. And for the last time O'Brian, it's a referee not an umpire.

13. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

i have to say yesterday felt like a circus. when all the media in circle beckham and his teamates on the bench was just silly. I think they over did last night showing beckham everytime even when he scratch his balls.

Im glad I live in Houston and we dont have kind of circus here but the circus is coming to town soon.

14. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007

At the All Star game practice my son was the youngest kid around so a reporter wanted to talk with him. He asked him if he was "excited about the arrival of the greatest player ever to play in the MLS". My son replied, " Brian Mullan has been playing for 6 years now. He didn't just arrive!" and then he glared at the reporter and mumbled something I still can't get him to tell me.

At the game he was asked if he was hoping to see Beckham - his reply " No I'm hoping to see DeRo, Rico and Ching destroy Celtic". Then he asked me why everything has to be about Beckham .

15. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If we get Marquez it would be like that here too.

It was ********ing embarrassing because Chelsea weren't even trying I only saw one piece of skill and that was from Kalou.

16. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your son is f'in awesome!! Great answers!!! Love him.

17. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

yeap you could tell chelsea was not trying. Lalas must have spoken to them and said " hey go easy on us please dont kill us in front of our fans and the world"

our goal should be to bring Marquez to Houston.

18. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
  19. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is a big deal if it gets MLS TV time, so they don´t have the slightest idea about football, so what?, so they are focusing 100% on Beckhams and the Galaxy, so what?, I prefer that over being consider as newsworthy as the local baseball amateur league.

Is he that good?, no he is not, was he a great player?, yes he was and will probably give a few great games, is he the savior of MLS?, forst of all MLS doesn´t need a savior, and if it needed one Beckham would not be the one, but he is getting what MLS needs, air time, for that I am thankful.

20. lokibeat

lokibeat Member

May 6, 2007
    Houston

Not sure that this thread is not devolving into a Beckham thread, but I think perhaps most telling was after the Sidwell tackle. You could tell Beckham was lying on the ground in pain and then he suddenly realized what that image could imply and he got up as quick as he could.

It was as though he realized the implications of everyone thinking he could be so fragile, among other things, and sucked it up and got back on his feet.

I think that speaks volumes to his commitment to doing things right here. I think any other player would have lain on the ground and thought, I need to sell this foul, or my ankle hurts, I want to get attention and slow the game down.

Frankly, I don't think he should have played last night. It's a shame the buildup pretty much forced their hand.

When he did touch the ball I think he showed he's superior quality even if he didn't have much of an effect.

I'm looking forward to more games once he's healthy.

21. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it is much more important for ESPN to air the first Beckham league game where he plays a full 90. If that is next week then so be it, but that was hardly what I would call a debut. The game was a joke because of the Gals poor quality and Drogba, Lamps, Terry, and the rest of Chelsea's lack of effort.

22. ethan

ethan Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Hyde Park, HOU

Why any of you would watch the ESPN feed is beyond me. Telefutura just had the game; imagine that.
    Xavier was player of the game.
    Wynalda needs his own show, TV or otherwise.
    Did anyone lose a yellow chihuahua?

23. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excuse me while I have a fangirl moment.

Cobi and Beckham sitting next to each other last night. :D

24. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's only because Beckham promised him beauty tips.

25. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's interesting, I didn't know Telefutura had it on, I for one have been insane with Beckham Mania since I saw the first "You Say Goodbye" ad on ESPN a month ago. :rolleyes:

So, did they use the same video feed? Did you get to see Becks taking off his shoes, putting them back on, standing to clap, looking expectantly, looking whistfully, and just plain looking? Did you get to see Victoria clapping, and sipping champagne, and clapping some more? If not, you missed half the show.

By the way, I wonder where Victoria and her pals will be sitting when they come to Houston. Our luxury boxes are rat infested, so I hear. Maybe she'll sit out in her luxury motor home in the parking lot.

I see a major publicity nightmare when David and Victoria come to Houston. The front office will have them at mid field to present them with flowers and a big Texas sized welcome to Houston, and the curious never-seen-soccer-before Houstonians will politely applaud, while the TA and EB will be hurtling profanity-laced chants and truckloads of streamers. :D