[NDR] Kyle Rote Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Apr 12, 2012.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt know where else to post this so i thought i would start a new thread that probably will soon be forgotten. But I really thought this was an interesting story about one of the first big US-born soccer stars. I always liked him in his Dallas Tornado days and was excited when he was traded to Houston. I never knew the trade "devastated" him, since this was way before BigSoccer, the Internet, or even good soccer reporting or television coverage. I thought the story about how he first learned to play was interesting. I always knew the why but never the how. Read it here:

http://tumblr.xiquarterly.com/post/20976172323/kyle-rote-jr

This article is from the new soccer quarterly magazine XI which itself looks like it could be interesting. They are looking for people to help them kick in start-up money to get off the ground.

1 person likes this.
  2. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird. Just started a thread about that yesterday.

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, sorry, I read that and thought it was interesting. But I was thinking I had read it on Twitter, I forgot it was on BS. I could have posted this in your thread, but I think the KRJ story stands alone.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked for Kyle in his Houston soccer camps for a summer or two.

Really good man.

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered if you were working for them then. Cool.

6. drew622

drew622 Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the story on KRJ. As the article states, his dad was quite a Texas football legend. My mom actually dated Kyle Rote Sr. while they were in high school. True story.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rote Sr. and Rote Jr., with their passion and playing of both codes of football, when KRJ was traded to Houston it got a gridiron only guy like my father to take his lil' son to see Rote Jr. play in our Dome that '80 season. Got my first Houston soccer gear that day.
    Trivia fact: KRJ is the first American soccer player to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated.

8. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Same story here. My dad took me to a game in the dome because of Kyle Rote Sr playing football. Got Kyle Rote Jr's autograph when I went. Can't believe the Houston Hurricanes used to play in the Astrodome. Memories....