[NDR] For Figopimp

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by bayernguy311, Nov 9, 2006.

1. bayernguy311

bayernguy311 New Member

Apr 3, 2006
  2. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: For Figopimp

The whole reason MLS is single-entity was to prevent what happened to the NASL in terms of exhorbitant salaries.

While I'd love to see Figo, Beckham or other players that can still play at a high level come play for a few years in the MLS, I think 5MM a year is a bit steep, regardless of the benefits.

It will be interesting to see what comes of any "name" stars heading this way or at least rumored to be.

Interesting article Bayern, thanks for the post.

3. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps the problem with the NASL was all the "exhorbitant salaried" players were on one team - the Cosmos. What good is a league with one team of super players and the rest of the teams without? (correct if I'm wrong - i'm speculating a bit on my knowledge of the NASL)

I think the "Beckham Rule" can only do good things for the MLS as far as publicity is concerned. Now whether or not these "super players" will gel well with their teams in MLS is another story. I have a feeling some of our stars might feel overshadowed a bit, especially if there are sacrificial lambs who might be better team players that get bumped for these stars.

Could you imagine Davis sidelined because we got Beckham (obviously that particluar scenario won't happen)? Wouldn't Davis feel a bit "cheated" as well as some fans? I love my Dynamo the way they are - and while I love Beckham I'd hate for him to get playing time just because he's Beckham when maybe Davis is playing better (maybe I'm thinking too highly of Davis?).

Just some thoughts.

4. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas

I hope the new "rule" also will include a salary raise for the current group of players. With the new revenues that each team will receive from the TV deals and shirt sponsorships, it's only fair to reward the ones who have bled for the league all these years. They need to make sure they take care of these guys as well.
    They also need to not give these "new" players a paid vacation. Just like Dagluish said, he not here for holiday...Lother Matheus anyone?

5. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not to Chivas, please, not to Chivas!

While it would be great to see Figo play in the MLS, I have to agree with some of the thoughts in the other posts. You have to be wary of the Cosmos syndrome and bringing the MLS down just like the NASL.

However, if done right, something like this could work. But do we want to become the league were old stars come to fade away, or were new stars come to shine? Seriously, it could end up being the "Galacticos" graveyard: Beckham, Figo, Ronaldo, Zizou (comes back from retirement), R. Carlos, Raul, etc.

"Gee, my back really hurts and I don't think I can play in the Champion's League. I think I'll go the the US and make a quick million or two."

As for Figo, who knows. He's always stated that he wanted to retire in Sporting and he's trying to get a Formula 1 team going. There may not be enough incentive for him to come here.

6. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that one of the main incentives for any player to come here at a reduced salary would just be the benefit of living in America. I'm not trying to oversell the point but don't underestimate the pulling power of living and playing here.

And it was the Cosmos who had many of the "overpaid" players but you ended up having a domino effect where the other clubs, in order to try and keep up with the Cosmos in terms of both marketing and on the pitch, started paying those same salaries.

I think there's some middle ground here, I just don't know where it is. The Lothar Matthaus example is a good one but look at a player like Youri Djorkaeff who though a bit older, could still play at a high level. He wasn't a big name draw but again, where's the middle ground?

It'll be interesting to see how the MLS looks at this going forward.

But one point brought up earlier and I wholeheartedly agree with is instead of spending 5MM on a Figo, put some more money into the salaries of your current players and raise the baseline level.

When I see reserve players getting $11,000 per year, I'm sorry, but that isn't "professional" no matter how you slice it.

Bring the baseline up to $75,000 or $100,000 and now we're talking.

7. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Figopimp and I have worked tirelessly to bring Figo here. I am personally going to discuss this with Commissioner Garber, Oliver Luck, Jim McInvale, and others, to ensure the we have "a man's man" playing in Houston.

Talk about hitting another segment with discretionary income!

8. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah...giving all players a salary bump would be a good thing if the league can afford it. Heck maybe THAT's what this mystery "major announcement" is going to be - "All MLS Players will receive a 25% pay increase next year."

I have no problem having superstar players past their prime coming to play for MLS. We still have up and coming American stars, which we will always have - but I don't know that we'll ever be a league that can compete for new overseas talent with the Premiere league, or La Liga, Serie A, etc.

I think new American stars plus older international stars makes for a good mix....I like it...just want it to work out nicely.

9. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston

Sad but true :(

10. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd even go as low as $50,000/yr. for a bottom-of-the-barrel salary. Enough to live on, at least.

11. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dunno about this. Bringing a couple of super-stars into the league will seriously unbalance things. Lets take Beckham to LA. That would give LA a huge player that, while no longer in his prime, is still a very capable player who is used to playing at a very very high level of play. No matter what you think of him, I think everyone will agree that he is/was/has been (take your pick) one of the greats. I can't see this as a really good thing, balance-wise. While I know a certain NYRB official wants "dynasties", there still needs to be some parity. The Yankees are a good example. Despite their salary and buying all the best players, when was the last time they did anything? There remains some parity in baseball. (Btw, I love that rule that if you make too much, you must give $$ back to the poor teams...go Robin Hood!)

And I know it says that each team can have one Super-Star but...can MLS really lure 13 Super-Stars of more or less equal vintage in a short period of time? I don't want this league to turn into a retirement home for a bunch of has-beens. It should be competative and strive to be on par with the Brits and Germans and Spanish and Italians etc etc. How they handle this will define the league......hopefully they don't screw it up.

Personally, I think the league should take this slowly...don't grab the best has-beens or near-best in a mad rush to improve the league....make it a grass-roots effort. Lets be fair: MLS is a second tier league in the world (so is my opinion...others might grade it worse). So, lets grab some second tier players from around the world, build up our own soccer programs in Middle, High School and College, and upgrade all of soccer. Then we will have natives who can "Bend It Like Beckham"...(btw, I read an article about a real life guy from Green Bay who is raising a few eyebrows over the pond...)

I know MLS wants to hurry up and establish themselves....but patience can be a virtue...so long as they are pulling a profit, they shouldn't complain...and when will they realize that SSSes won't solve every cities problems?

12. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Proposition F, on the Houston ballot, was Proposition Figo, which allows Houston to raise taxes in order to bring Figo and other all-stars to Houston. Very similar to his move to Real Madrid, Figo signed a letter of intent that stated if Prop F passed then he would come to Houston.

Bem vindo a Houston, Figo!

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

Here's the thought: You don't have to pay Figo his super-high salary. You give him a share of team ownership, rake in the sponsorship money to off-set it and get a stadium built. Then, AEG sells the remaining shares to Figo, at the new value of the team shares, while they keep the stadium. They can recoup their $35M while offloading the team and getting their stadium.

I guess the real question is can Figo bring in the dough as necessary? This is do-able with Beckchumps, not sure if we can sell 100,000 of Figo Dynamo shirts, plus get tons of sponsors.

14. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah...I can't imagine Figo (or anyone except maybe Ronaldinho) is as popular in the general US conscience as Beckham.