News: [NDR] FIFA leaders busted

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Dynamo_Forever, May 27, 2015.

1. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure this won't amount to much.....but it's interesting

FIFA: U.S. indicts 14 for corruption, Switzerland opens separate probe

2. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Hopefully it's just the beginning, and the whole house crashes down. The charges seem to be based a lot on the upcoming World Cup bids, and I would love to see those two countries stripped of the Cup, because of their bribery.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #5 newtex, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    There are two sets of cases being pursued.

1. The U.S. government is going after corruption involving CONCACAF and CONMEBOL officials and activity which flowed through U.S. banks. That is why all of the FIFA officials being extradited are from the Americas. Switzerland will not extradite for tax evasion but they will for criminal charges. The people, including the sports broadcasting and marketing officials, being indicted by the U.S. could face jail time along with fines and other loss of money.

2. The Swiss government is investigating corruption related to the World Cup bids. They are going after FIFA officials from various countries. That is being investigated as a domestic Swiss crime since FIFA is chartered in Switzerland and those officials are effectively being charged with defrauding a Swiss company.

MLSNHTOWN and Heft repped this.
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Indicted by the U.S. Attorney:

Jeffrey Webb - president of CONCACAF and FIFA vice president
    Chuck Blazer - former CONCACAF general secretary and FIFA excutive committee member
    Eduardo Li, current FIFA executive committee president and president of the Costa Rican soccer federation.
    Julio Rocha, current FIFA development officer and former head of the Central American Football Union.
    Costas Takkas, an attache and former general secretary of the Cayman Islands Football Association.
    Eugenio Figueredo, current FIFA vice president and executive committee members.
    Rafael Esquivel, president of the Venezuelan soccer federation.
    Jose Maria Marin, member of the FIFA organizing committee for the Olympic football tournaments.
    Nicolas Leoz, former FIFA executive committee member.

Jose Hawilla - owner and founder of Traffic Group
    Alejandro Burzaco, a sports marketing executive based in Argentina.
    Aaron Davidson, president of Traffic Sports USA and General Director of NASL
    Hugo and Mariano Jinkis, principals of Full Play Group, a sports marketing business based in Argentina.

7. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some light reading for my BS peeps.

These indictments appear to stem from a couple of years ago when Chuck Blazer in an effort to save himself began cooperating with the Feds. He apparently pled guilty in 2013 presumably on an information filed by the US Attorney. His plea was sealed in order for him to cooperate with the investigation.

Here's a copy of the indictment​

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c85v09xnv7x3a7x/Concacafindictment.pdf?dl=0

Heft repped this.
  8. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Sep is calling Hillary right now to find out the best way to destroy emails in a pinch?

CeltTexan repped this.
  9. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s my proposal for 2022. Ask yourself. Why do we need FIFA to have a tournament of the world’s best teams? America has the investors, the infrastructure and the logistics experience to put on events of any size. All it would take would be to get enough big time investors to get the ball rolling and provide legitimacy to the tournament and then get a few big teams to take a chance and be the first domino. We could call it the 2022 World Football Championships.

10. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting how "Don" Blatter was able to keep from being connected to all of this...

Chuck Blazer: American soccer bigwig turned informant

11. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this comes up again now that these lawsuits put the Russian and Qatar bids in a different light..

U.S. senators ask FIFA to move 2018 World Cup out of Russia (From April 1, 2015)

12. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heft repped this.
  15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I hope that these crooked bastards rot in jail for their corruption, and match-fixing.

Hydro, TX Bill and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  16. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Furthermore....I know it was $10 mil but if you are going to bribe someone, why submit an official letter from your gov to FIFA documenting it?! LOL

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out Sepp! HAHAHA!!!

Hydro repped this.
  18. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what happened between Friday and today?

guessing Seppy got a look at the evidence and pulled the parachute. That or the Feds showed him their hand and threatened to nail him unless he stepped down and cooperated.

I hope its the later

PS

Fck you Qatar!!

Hydro and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  19. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know you are prob joking, but i love the idea.

The problem is that there arent enough fans in the US to support this idea. People would miss the economic advantages and would concentrate on misperceptions such as "boring game that accepts zero zero ties, low scoring, diving. Sport for foreigners"

I agree that the world doesnt need fifa. Fk tradition.

20. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the only thing these crooks care about is money, my theory is one or more of the top-tier WC sponsors (Visa/Coca-Cola/McDonalds/etc) specifically demanded Sepp's head roll or they'd withdraw sponsorship.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  21. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This letter was uncovered that contradicted what FIFA had said about $10 million bribe to S. Africa for the 2010 WC. It basically found that Blatter’s right-hand man (Jérôme Valcke, the soccer organization’s secretary general)
    may have played a key role in the organization’s ongoing corruption problems.

The FIFA criminal investigation got too close for Sepp Blatter to survive

MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's probably some consideration to the potential legal and criminal issues in the US that pushed Blatter to resign (I'm sure he's got top legal counsel on this) but you are probably right, much more likely that the major sponsors were going to start to pull their money out and except for Gazprom and other Middle Eastern government-owned entities, no major global company would replace those lost dollars. If Coca-Cola pulled out, Pepsi was not rushing in.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    One of my theories is that a corporation or group complained to the FBI about being extorted, or possibly several entities. The enemies of FIFA are powerful, I am assuming, and FIFA's overreach is epically greedy.

24. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the election? Because if he loses the election he is out. Now he gets to leave on his terms. I would much rather cover my track from inside my office than from out on the street. Plus as someone who is stepping down he still has weight in all sorts of decisions.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  25. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am actually somewhat serious. Plus, there are plenty of fans. World Cup is the ONLY soccer that, as a whole, America watches. Plus you have fans from all over the world coming in. Its all about getting the first few domino to fall.