[NDR] Dallas Tornado 32 game, 26 country, 7 month tour

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Jan 26, 2014.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking it's ok to post a story about a defunct Dallas team from 45 years ago from a British newspaper? Hope so, cause this is interesting. And crazy. I find it especially interesting because as a kid I was living in Bangladesh during that time, and the Tornado actually played in Dacca and Chittagong. We spent a lot of time in Dacca and travelled several times to Chittagong, but never heard about the games. Back then, it wasn't the type of place you would expect to find an American soccer team (or many Americans at all, for that matter.) We also were in Singapore in '67. Then in '68 we started heading home, but toured some of the same cities the Tornado did...Karachi, Tehran, Athens, but did it in reverse order. It's a pity we weren't big soccer fans, we could have followed them. I just wonder if at some point we might have crossed paths somewhere. As it was, I was interested in soccer and played a little but had little real contact with it. But when we got back to the States we moved to Ft. Worth and I did go to a couple of Tornado games, never hearing about this epic journey.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/jan/09/forgotten-story-of-dallas-tornado

Barrelhead and DonJuego repped this.
  2. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone said ESPN is doing some pieces building up to the world cup, this would be a fascinating one.