[NDR] Copa America Centenario

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Feb 22, 2016.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    It's not as ridiculous as you make it out to be. Up 3-0, Messi had 2 clear chances at goal within 5 minutes but pulled up IN THE BOX and made bad passes to get teammates goals. He never does that in a tight game. Normally he would've just blown past the defender and scored.

US had 0 shots on goal, 32% possession and only a handful of times managed to string 5 passes together. It was quite evident that Argentina slowed down after the third goal.

I'm not justifying nothing, I'm just telling you what I saw.

El Naranja repped this.
  2. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You were saying...?

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think the weather helped Colombia from getting slaughtered

4. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #329 Hydro, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

Chile took their foot off the gas pedal otherwise it would have been 7-0 or 14-0. ;-)

dadcoachref and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All jokes aside, the way I saw it, Colombia was dismantled. Chileans are playing like possessed by the devil. Awesome performance.

The Argentina chile game will be a great game to watch.

Soccergodlss and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Haha. Imagine the score if Vidal had played

Hydro and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  7. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cultural battle will be amazing too - Chile has a chip on their shoulders and they (for the most part) dislike Argentina VERY MUCH. They are neighbors to the west of the Argies so you can already imagine.

Hydro repped this.
  8. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Vidal had played now you're talking 20 - 0 for sure!:eek:

Heft and Hydro repped this.
  9. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #334 Hydro, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

So, I've worked for several years in Argentina and Chile. My perception is that:

• Argentineans believe they are better than Chileans

• Chileans often behave like the younger brother, not realizing that they kick Argentinean ass in many aspects. I have not checked the data in years, but I suspect that Chile has better economy, employment, government, infrastructure, social programs, education, crime rate, transportation, corruption, police, etc etc.

Argentineans will quickly tell you that at the beginning of the 20th century, they were in the top 10 global economies. They also tell you that Argentineans invented the ballpoint pen (el birómetro). They may also tell you of Argentina victories over Chile, like the Laguna del Desierto thing. Some stupid Argentineans will point to their own almost-undiluted European blood, and compare that to other Latin American skin colors.

With bitter anger, many Argentineans talk about Chile's role in the Malvinas war.

Chileans, on the other hand, were too busy getting over the Allende/Pinochet years, and building [arguably] a beautiful post-Pinochet democracy, that they even forgot who perito Francisco Moreno was.

In my opinion, most Chileans don't mind Argentina that much, except when it comes to getting hydrocarbons from them. That's probably one of Chile's "R-Kelly's" heel, they depend on Argentina for their natural gas to produce electricity. It sucks to be on that side of the Andes.

But Chileans want to win in soccer, just like any other Latin America country would.

CeltTexan and Heft repped this.
  10. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was my understanding that Argentineans act like they're more from Europe than S. America and think they're better than all of S. America.

I've never been there but that's what I've heard from other S. Americans

11. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Generalizations are always flawed. Like saying "all southern whites are racist."

Years ago, Argentineans probably looked at their white skin and compared it to the rest of Latin Americans, and they realized that they were different. At some points, they may have thought that this made them BETTER..

But the sh*tty governments, the Falklands war, their enormous unpaid debt, the dictators, their multiple economic crises, the Kirchner governments, etc etc, they have slowly come to terms to see that they may not have a privileged place in the world. The decades of failures have had a humbling effect on many Argentineans.

There are probably some Argentineans who think they are better than the rest of South Americans simply because of the blood that runs through their veins, but they are probably the minority.

Luckily, I have met nothing but beautiful people in Argentina. I have made fantastic friends in that country. I would never characterize them as racist or even arrogant. Now, some of them call me "negro", but I take that as a term of endearment.:p

12. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on Hydro. I haven't been to Chile only to Argentina (One of my best friends moved back) and what you said is exactly how it is.
    The difference is that Argentineans who live in Argentina aren't as snotty as the ones who live abroad.
    Latinos (Being vague and General) seem to have a sense of inferiority when they live somewhere other than their birth country so they have too much unneeded pride; That is where the whole "I am European I am better than you" stems from. Many Venezuelans also suffer from this as they assure you even though they have black and browns their culture is of European descent. But once in either of those cultures you see that they aren't like the ones that live here.

Argentinean's are madly competitive in sports, their culture is a bit almost american in that they wan't to dominate and be known worldwide. They have major players in every international sport (save for baseball, football which aren't that popular). They have over 1million cars that run on natural gas and they are major producers in that market and very self sufficient as they do sell to neighboring countries like Chile.

The capital of Chile I believe is the most modern in all of Latin America iirc. Advanced Metro System, Shiny new buildings, malls, great public transport, good economy. You every wonder why you don't see that many Chileans here? Chile is futbol crazy - we all saw their antics at the World Cup and at the Copa America - but they have been underwhelming on the international scene. They finally are catching up and I doubt they want to let their victory lap go easily.

Hydro repped this.
  13. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having been to other Latin American countries and then to Argentina; their culture definitely is more European - you could see it in their traditions, food, and architecture.

Now do they throw it in your face?? NO! Completely false. Granted this is from the pool i've met but they seem like really honest down to earth people who are just proud of their culture as anybody else would be.

The whole "My country is better than yours" really applies to mostly US based latinos that don't realize how stupid it sounds when you are living in the US just like I am. (Disclosure - I am latino)

Heft and Hydro repped this.
  14. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We are probably going to get kicked out of here for talking non-soccer crap, but your comment:

"Latinos (Being vague and General) seem to have a sense of inferiority when they live somewhere other than their birth country so they have too much unneeded pride"

This made me stop and think. WOW, you are right. At least, that describes my personal experience.

Growing up, I always felt inferior in Europe or in the US, I felt like my poor language skills -not to mention my skin color- would make everybody look down on me. I am hoping I have changed... but you made me stop and think if I still have that inferiority complex.

Now, most of my experience came from places like France, Germany, England, and the American South...

While I don't have statistics, I suspect that most Chileans in the 70s and 80s fled to Europe and not the US. I never met Chileans in the US, but I would see thousands of them at the Quilapayun or Inti Illimani concerts in the main capitals of Europe. Every time I went to a Latin American party in Germany, it would be dominated by Chileans dancing with that handkerchief thing. I wonder if most of them returned after Pinochet left or stayed in Europe?

Argentineans have soccer, rugby, and probably some other sports where they are always at the top tier. I'm glad for them, they need that to keep their sense of pride. They have had very, very tough decades.

Nevertheless, I'm all Chile, brother!!! I am going to be wearing Chilean colors this weekend!!! (OK, I'll be wearing my Texas colors, same thing).

Heft and ChrizG13 repped this.
  15. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Chile!!!!

[​IMG]

;)

CeltTexan and ChrizG13 repped this.
  16. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yellow cards for all - but yeah buddy - I don't think we realize it but it's true to a very high degree. How many times have you been around a certain culture and they start telling how in their country you can do this and that,that the women are hot, the food is amazing, the best beaches, nightlife, mountains etc etc. When I hear that it makes me think "then what the heck are you doing here? so far away from Utopia!!"

We should all just be happy we live here now lol:

upload_2016-6-24_11-6-16.png

CeltTexan and Hydro repped this.
  17. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA!

CeltTexan repped this.
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argentines are Italians that speak Spanish that live like the British who really want to be French.
    This old joke told to me by my old Argie, model, tennis player, insanely hot girlfriend I had as a younger man...this old joke never gets old on how one can sum up the Argentines as a people.

And yes, they take winning and losing VERY seriously. The only culture, save the Russians and us United States sports lovers, who take their sports and winning every game no matter the cost are Argentines.

The rematch Grand Final between Los Ches and the Lone Stars should be one for the record books. Both teams are firing on all cylinders and both teams are flush with talented footballers who know how to link up with each other like they were a club team not a National Team. Just great entertainment to be had sports fans!

Hydro repped this.
  19. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "If Chile would've kept going against Argentina like Chile did against Mexico, Chile could've scored 14 last night."

hahahahaha!!!

[​IMG]

CeltTexan, ChrizG13 and Heft repped this.
  20. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil wasn't good enough to be in the final so they sent Heber Roberto Lopes to destroy the match.

I expect PRO to offer him a job this week.

*rey* repped this.
  21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Talk about a worthy champion though, Chile in the knockout rounds: destroyed a pre-tournament #16 ranked Mexico; beat #3 ranked Colombia in a rain delayed game then took the #1 ranked team in PKs.

No complaints from me. They're legit!

dadcoachref and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Case in point: just saw a post on another forum by a girl who figured out from Megan Rapnioe's snapchat what hotel she was staying at for the Copa America final, went to that hotel and staked out in the lobby until Rapinoe showed up then got pictures taken with her. Rapinoe was a good sport and took a bunch of pics with her (probably didn't realize the degree of stalking that went on).

The replies to the post were entirely of the, "well done, you're so lucky, blah, blah sort".

Any where else in society, we'd call that stalking and wouldn't praise it. With the USWNT, in particular, it is fan behavior that is praised by other fans (and that the players routinely have to put up with).

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I hate when English football is raised up on a platform as noble and cheat free as compared to Latin American football. Down 1-2 and in the last 5 minutes I've seen English defenders pull shirts and 2 go down easy on 50-50 shoulder challenges. They didn't embellish, but to me that doesn't make a difference since the intent was to fool the ref into making an incorrect call.

24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Looks like another inquiry, and official hand wringing is in the future for England.

25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Somewhere Aaron Johansson is sobbing to himself.

*rey* and Dynamo_Forever repped this.