[NDR] Cafe East or WWC 07 (R)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Offebacher, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, looking like a real Genius so far. This could be real bad by the time it is over.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just following on matchtracker at the official FIFA site, but when you have an own goal, you have to wonder about communication between the keeper and her teammates. Obviously, the highlights will give a better indication.

It's just over-coaching to make that sort of change. There was a funny moment between the commentators during the Germany x Norway game when they were talking about this US keeper change. Tony DiCicco, the very successful former US coach, stopped mid-sentence when he was saying something like "Sometimes coaches..." so that the pbp guy could call a goal scoring opportunity. Then the pbp guy went back to DiCicco and said something like, "Tony, you mean that coaches sometimes over-analyze - is that what you were going to say?" DiCicco said, no, that he was going to say that sometimes coaches are really "in tune" with their players. Fair enough. But it still looks like over-coaching.

3. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have not seen it either as I am doing the same on the match tracker. The move is just strange because I cannot recall something like this happening for the reasons he gave. Now, if a Goalie has been playing really bad or is injured/suspended that is a different matter, but this one makes little sense.

HT USA - Brazil 0:2

Also, Boxx second yellow. Real nice.

4. IHeartDynamo

IHeartDynamo New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    It's Usa 0-3 Brazil now. so sad.

I actually feel for Brianna b/c she hasn't had a game in a really long time and they are putting a LOT of pressure on her. I can only imagine what's going through her head right now.

Abby has gotten very little chance to do anything in this match. Looks like we're going to be fighting for 3rd place this year.

5. IHeartDynamo

IHeartDynamo New Member

Aug 21, 2007
  6. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, not saying it is her fault but this result makes the coach look even more of an A** than I initially thought.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Ryan put both Scurry and Hope in a bad situation. And it probably caused some dissent in the US locker room. I don't blame Scurry at all. She's a good keeper, but she hasn't played competitively in a while and was put in a bad situation.

8. IHeartDynamo

IHeartDynamo New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    True, definately a bad coaching decision. Everytime they show Solo on TV she looks frustrated...i can imagine.

Marta is bad a** though. Anyone watching on TV, did you see that 4th goal? Amazing...

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marta is really deserving of the FIFA World Player of the Year award. I'm looking forward to watching her and several of the other Brazilian players in the new US women's league. They'll definitely jump at the opportunity to come here.

10. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they get past Germany we may see how the CBF handels the Star on the Crest.

11. IHeartDynamo

IHeartDynamo New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Once i get over my sadness (anyone see Hope crying at the end of the game? so sad...) I will be looking forward to the Germany vs Brazil final. That's going to be one hell of a match.

12. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to watch this semi later, but it'll take some outstanding performances from Brazil's defense to convince me that they'll beat Germany. I suspect that the US team was probably a bit discombobulated this game. In any event, the Germans have played like world champions. I haven't seen any weaknesses in their play. Brazil has the talent to beat them, but it'll take excellent coordination by their central defenders and defensive mids. Then again, maybe it'll just be a crazy shootout. :D

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Well, when you're the coach and you gamble you either look like a genius or like an idiot. Guess how the US coach looks now? I was only able to catch the first half, and it was the goalie switch that got the US and the fact that they have been shaky in all the games I watched them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming it on Scurry who is probably still one of the top keeps in the world.

However, the first goal was total miscommunication: Scurry should of called for it, but more telling was the defender trying to clear a ball that was very questionable for her to chase. My conclusion is that it was her uncertainty in the keeper that made her try to clear it out (maybe Scurry did call for it, but I don't think she did). Anywho, in overcompensating she pushed the ball in the net. Ok, unlucky. 2nd goal: what can you say? Brasil has scored like this in every game, so where was the marking? Down 2-0 and the US looking like deer in the headlights, I figured it was over. I held on to hope that a halftime talk could steer them around, a 2 goal deficit can be quickly erased. But, with a man down and the whole game plan is to hack Brasil and kick it to Wambach, it wasn't gonna happen.

Maybe I'm being to hard on the coach, but the team looked off and their game plan was non-existent, except for the push Brasil and kick it to Wambach plan.

14. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why you gamble like that though. Scurry looked out of place on several of those goals.

15. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, if the ladies from the Brazilian World Cup team were to go to the WUSA and play like they did this morning, I'd definately watch. The 4th goal was more than ridiculous, but what impressed me was how they were crossing the US like an AND1 Mixtape.

Here's a couple highlights, but it doesn't give the 2nd half moves any justice. They do show the infamous Samba cross though...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3038594&categoryId=2378529

16. IHeartDynamo

IHeartDynamo New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    You're right, the game plan seemed to be non-existent, or just not working at best. The plan should have been to put the fastest defenders we have out on the feild. The Brazilians were too quick for us and were able to get around the defense several times almost effortlessly. :(

I still can't blame Bri for the goals b/c she was playing with a young team that was used to Hope being back there... I wouldn't doubt there was communication problems though.

I just read in the Chronicle where Coach was not taking any criticism yesterday about his decision and was telling ppl who were questioning him to "just wait and see"
    Well...we waited and we saw. You made the wrong decision Coach. Thanks:(

17. Super Dynamo

Super Dynamo New Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Houston
    [​IMG]

The Following red cards go to...first Greg Ryan such a dumb call...I'd rather have Hope as the keeper any day!
    U.S. goalkeeper Briana Scurry:
    On her strengths that match up well vs. Brazil:
    “I am particularly good at shot stopping, and my reflexes are very quick

Yeah...I did not see any of that this morning, all I saw is hesitation and lazy play on Bri...just my opinion. You can do better than that Bri.

What the hell Hope has been wonderful as our Keeper as well as consistant...why coach why...?

Next Red card goes to the Ref...THAT WAS NOT A FOUL! Ref you must have been on crack ...(second yellow =red Shannon sent off) :mad:

Last red Card goes to...Leslie Osbourne...ummm, your not playing for Brasil. Nice Header though...(20:00 Own Goal)

Dammit Marta, are you that DAMN GOOD? At least your not as creepy looking as Ronaldinho.

Well thats my take...Overall I love my Ladies in the USWNT, awesome job through out the World cup (even though there were bad decisions made - Sh*t happens)...and best of Luck to Germany and Brasil) ...THATS THE BEAUTIFUL GAME!

18. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( That was painful to watch.

19. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Hope called him out on it in the postgame. He better freaking use her in the 3rd place game.

20. IHeartDynamo

IHeartDynamo New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Ya i like how Hope just flat out said "he made a mistake by not playing me"

she was obviously shaken up by the whole thing. I hope he plays her for the 3rd place game, and i hope that she's ok mentally after all this.

21. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Personally, I think Solo's tournament is done. She shouldn't have gone to the press until after the tourney. Anywho, she'll be back on the team once Ryan gets fired. The US team looked like crap the whole tournament. Here is an excellent article in ESPN that pretty much sums up all my thoughts:

ESPN Article

22. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all this keeper la-di-da is doing a great job of covering up the cold, hard truth -

[from Jen Chang's ESPN column above]
    when this matchup was made, I was thinking back on Mon something like Brazil 4-2 USA. Look at all the weapons Brazil had besides the best player in the world, as opposed to one good physical goal poacher for the US. Had the US been matched up w/Germany in the semis instead, might have been a similar result.

Germany and Brazil not only have skilled, experienced players now, you can see the personality that we've come to associate with their respective men's teams - brutal efficiency for the Germans, mercurial brilliance and occasional defensive blunders for the Brazilians.

I don't blame Scurry for the own goal, that's just one of those things that can happen. The second and especially the fourth goals perhaps should have been saved.

As someone who got tired of the mythology of the "classic" '99 WWC Final, wasn't karma a little bit of a bitch today? The same ref who didn't order a retake and card Scurry when she came way off her line in the '99 PK shootout was the same ref who had the questionable sending off today.

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally watched the US x Brazil semi and have to agree with the others who have argued that the US was getting outplayed even before the odd ejection of Shannon Boxx. The US just hasn't showed much in the way of imagination this entire tournament. In addition to the bizarre keeper switch decision, you also have to wonder why Ryan left creative, attacking players like Wagner, Tarpley, and Kai on the bench. He really didn't make that much use of them all tourney. This team would've had a more creative attack if Wagner had been allowed to do her thing in midfield.

And then there's Marta. Wow. Marta was just ridiculous in this game. That second goal was as good as anything I've ever seen in soccer - men's or women's. But she was also creating and playing the jogo bonito all game. Just amazing stuff. That performance was the sort of thing that makes a kid grab a ball - or something round enough to kick and dribble - and go outside and try stuff.

I really hope that the CBF fully appreciates the opportunity that's staring them in the face. They have an incredible talent - who's only 21 years old - who has the potential to transform how people all around the world perceive this game. (Not to mention that they have a team full of talented, quality soccer players - and I mean soccer players.)

Anyway, here are some interesting links from the Chron:

Our friend Lark Howorth has some great comments in his blog (where you can leave comments): Brazil women school Americans in WWC

AP's pre-game piece: Solo or Scurry? Hard to say for U.S. at soccer World Cup

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole argument may be irrelevant because Solo may be done with the NT for good.....

That from the Chron on Anderson's link (thanks). Anyone think he's serioux about droppin Solo for her bad attitude?

Personally, with the same bad attitude, it worked for another bad-a$$ Solo....

[​IMG]

:D

That'd be harsh to drop her, or relegate her to 2nd or 3rd string....

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, doubt that Ryan will have the US job for very long after tomorrow's game. There's no point in firing him with a game left in China, but I can't see how he hangs on.