NCR :: World Cup packages...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by junior21, Dec 8, 2009.

1. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: World Cup packages...

I've always said I'll start my travel fund for the next US World Cup when they officially announce it being here. I may as well start saving now. Maybe I'll have enough money by the time I die...

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still have no desire to ever go to South Africa. Also, is this topic really NSR? I had always assumed the World Cup was related to soccer.

5. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

Not to sound like the ugly American, but unless Bob Bradley gives me a call, I can't see any way I'd be attending - much like there's no way in hell I'd go to the 2014 Olympics.

Host cities/nations with rampant crime/murder rates are not all that appealing to me. Besides, there's a reason I bought the damn big screen HDTV - so I can sit at home and watch things such as this.

6. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

Check, please.

*by the way, 2016 Olympics, in Rio, not 2014, as in World Cup in Brazil. Also not on the travel log.

8. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sorry had a typo meant to be NCR

9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Joedogsweetman

Aug 18, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Something I just recently came to realize: never turn down an opportunity (if you can afford it) to go someplace in the world you had no desire in going to especially if there's something going on that you like in that said part of the world. (World Cup) I never had a desire to go to South America, and I just got back. Im glad I went and I want to go again.

Just some food for thought

11. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    a couple of things:

1. I am pretty sure Shawn Mitchell had something in his CrewXtra blog a week or ago (Clearly I am too lazy to look it up for you) about a local company who has prepared World Cup packages. I don't think it is the same one J21 posted here at the start.

2. The owner/President of my company is naturalized citizen of the US originally from South Africa. She is married to a man from Portugal (soccer mad). Neither of them would step foot in S. Africa, so they say.

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a difference in not wanting to go somewhere just because and people that have been there telling you "You don't want to go there."

For instance, I've never had much desire to go to say, Mongolia, but if someone said "Hey, you wanna go to Mongolia?" I'd say sure.
    Having been to South Africa, I'm adding that I was armed the only time I was there and wouldn't go back without being armed.

13. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.cartan.com/SouthAfrica_WorldCup_Cartan.html

And you cant get all of this starting at $2473 plus the cost of airfare!

14. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I have a friend who has a postdoctoral research position at a University in SA and loves it, and another who did some of his doctoral research there....also loved it.

Could be the context though.

15. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I have travelled a lot of places around the world including some really scary places like Brazil, Trindad, Russia. It is great that people are discussing the dangers of places like SA and other and you should always think about that, but I agree it should not deter you from going a location like that. There are ways to be safe in countries like these, and you just need to stick the guidelines for travelling to them.

I would be willing to bet that SA knows they have a crime issue, and with a global event coming, I am going to believe (not just assume) that they would take more drastic measures to ensure the safety of the vistors.

16. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

During the Confed Cup didn't some of the teams get Robbed while they were playing, if they can't protect the players Hotel what chance will I have. I would rather save my money and go to Brazil, I know it is crime ridden too but we shall see how the Olympics go.

17. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007

"...there is so much fine looking poontang running around it is worth the risk!"

18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reminded me of this movie quote:
    This isn't about freedom; this is a slaughter. If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is "poontang".