NCR: Taxi for Michigan!

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Eggy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An NCAA investigation of a guy who's completely off his rocker, who's pulled things out of his ass in the past, and will probably do it in the future. He beat his school's main rival and won the NCAA championship as a freshman, and might have had a legitimate shot at the Heisman as a junior or senior. Investigation one didn't find much, other than he off the team for lying to them. So he has the NCAA back, long after he even saw a practice field. :rolleyes:

2. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true man. OSU is OSU. They will always be a top recruiting school. Besides, I wouldn't want it any other way. It's not good for OSU or Michigan to dominate the rivalry for any length of time. These two schools absolutely have to bitchslap each other every season. It's unfortunate for us Michigan fans that we've got the better end of the beatings the last three out of four seasons. But we still have two Big Ten titles to our names and two trips to BCS bowls.

This series should always be tight. It's as if God has mandated it Himself.

It does neither side any good to distort each other's records and not acknowledge what each school accomplishes on the field each season. This is especially important given the level of the rivalry which is unmatched anywhere.

3. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Funny, I was looking at this and thinking it was exactly the kind of game Michigan would lose.

Still, with a freshman quarterback, freshman running back, freshman in the secondary, I think most Michigan fans would have snapped your hand off if you offered them a 9-2 season with a return trip to Pasadena.

4. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    You can forget about Clarett. We've got Ginn now.

5. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarett who?

6. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you please enlighten me as to what it does mean? The most I could find was that they "were the hardest working team in America" and the three guys on the shield are construction workers. Is there something else to the story?

Honestly, I'd really like to know.

7. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh so true. This rivalry is commonly rated the biggest in college football and one of the biggest in U.S. sports. The rivalry being close is what makes it so sweet to win.

8. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Drive down to Columbus. No matter WHERE you go, you'll run into orange barrels. Doesn't matter what time of year, you'll see them.

Constant road construction has something to do with it.

They also had a name the team contest and there was only one entry of "crew." I think the logo designers tried to tie "crew" into the constant road construction, hence the hard hats.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Is this response "tongue in check" because I really, really hope it is...

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Why is anyone trying to figure out why MLS named a team this or that. For God's sake, they named teams Burn, Clash, and Wiz. That's all you need to know about MLS names.

As for the name "Crew," I don't think it's that bad. Lot's of positives in "Crew," like we're all in this together. It's certainly no worse then naming your team "Fire" or "United"

11. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
    Hail! To the victors, valiant,

Hail! To the conqu'ring heroes

Hail! Hail! To Michigan the champions of the West!

12. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the point was missed by most of you (insert Andy smilie). What i was saying is that by the time coaches get the chance twist the evidence around...that is what they will be selling to kids. Is it going to hurt recruiting? Who knows...you won't really know until the upcoming signing period or two. Will OSU still recruit well despite their current problems? Definitely, but it might not be the top 5 class their accustomed to. That's all I was saying...

Just for Eggy I bothered checking and Michigan only has 10 Ohio kids on the team...only 4 or 5 are even significant players, but we'll take all the support we can get...especially if we have to play Cal. Plus you should always root for other Big Ten teams in the bowls...even if it is "Meatchicken".

13. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, you're right. I was just curious if there was any local significance to the name, that's all.

14. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

Who?

15. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    I didn't say it would be the whole team. But that's a significant amount.

16. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way Michigan doesn't play Cal in the Rose Bowl is if Notre Dame or UCLA beats USC (something I really hope happens). Then they'll get USC.

It's funny, but aside from OSU and Illinois (not that I've had to worry about how the Illini are doing in a bowl lately), I usually don't root for the Big Ten team in the bowls. I don't root against them, but I don't really put much effort into worrying about how the conference looks in the bowls.

17. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States
  18. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How is this "trouble"?

Two years ago, he commented on the fact that he and his players, staff, etc. had to run from the far sideline to the opposite corner and didn't want to be involved in any on-field post-game altercations.

And if you want to share pathetic programs...

19. jshecket

jshecket New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    UM Fans are revisionists with no short-term memory. Ed Martin doesn't mean anything to them anymore.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's called a psychological advantage. Deal with it you whiney, I've now lost to OSU 3 out of the last 4 years, Lloyd Carr.

"Project mayhem does not exist."

21. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something they might not have on AM in Mishitgan is the record in the rivalry over the last 50 years.

OSU - 24 wins
    M - 24 wins
    Both Lose - 2 times.

Giving up a record number of players to the draft is impressive. Maintaining a very high quality of play the next year is even more impressive. Looking at that, and realizing all of the players we lose this year, the future is scary for Buckeye opponents.

Even though we won't play on New Year's for this season, there's always something to aim for