NCR: Take A Half-Day! USA@MEX 4:00 PM On A Weekday

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by RoleModel83, Jul 9, 2009.

1. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annoying. :(

3. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks. Lucky for me I only work till 3:30 so I should be home at 4. But that sucks for those who are forced to take a half day to see a game that should be in the evening.

4. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Any weekday in particular?

5. RoleModel83

RoleModel83 Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009

6. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if ESPN will go for it or decide that high school softball game full of overweight women is more important.

7. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not overweight, they're husky :D

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Evidently they are asking for some ridiculous sum of money for the English TV rights so it might not even be on English language television at all...

9. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt that smack dab in the middle of their workday, too?

10. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and driving from any part of Mexico City to Azteca is usually a nightmare. I can only imagine how bad it will be at 3pm local time.

I bet (and mark my words) that the FMF will give away many tickets for free. This is such an important game that they will be willing to make less money but have a full stadium at 3pm. Maybe they think they can make up the difference by charging ESPN a ridiculous amount of money for the tv rights. Let's see if ESPN goes for it.

If not, it will be Mr. Goooooooooooooooooooooool, on Telemundo.

11. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least this way we can hear "Dos a Cero" on TV.

12. DaKeeperMan

DaKeeperMan Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Wickliffe/Columbus OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything, in any language is better than Max Bretos, or Tommy Smythe (or whatever the feck his name really is) and that ESPN crew. However, the video quality from ESPN is usually superb.

13. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A non-English language broadcast will not affect any of us die-hard soccer fans but it is really going to suck for the casual fan. We are just starting to see some respect from casual fans and some of the media. Heck, Colin Cowherd even is running promo's that for the first time in his life, he knows when the next big US soccer game will be played. It will really suck if there is no English language broadcast.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Any American, or any bar for that matter, can find ESPN or ESPN2. If the game is only on Univision or whatever Spanish-language channel, it might as well be on Gol TV or Setanta where only the serious fans can find it. If it were on ESPN, then there's the chance that the talking heads (SportsCenter, PTI, Around The Horn, etc.) would be hyping it up. "You may not be a serious soccer fan, but this game is HUGE. Turn it on for a few minutes. You won't be disappointed" stuff.

However, if ESPN doesn't want to pay the fee for a 4 PM weekday kickoff, i'm not sure they can be blamed. That time slot sucks, no matter how you slice it.

But if ESPN doesn't want to pay it, could they sell it, sub-license it, whatever to FSC?

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turning the volume down and watching in HD is always a good option. Most of us would probably be at a bar anyway, where we couldn't hear the announcers.

16. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least if ESPN picks it up, it's likely to be shown on ESPN360.com, where, in the words of the late, great Billy Mays, "live sports surrounds you!"

17. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    We'll crash the internet like we're North Koreans.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But, at this point, it doesn't look like it'll be on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN360/ESPN anything.

Still, I wonder if FSC could pick it up, if they're not busy showing a replay of Andorra v Holland, or whatever other C-list teams they're showing that day.

19. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Mexico looked like s#it vs Panama.. its going from bad to worse ...to bad...

20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, Mexico looked bad. Even 10 minutes of 2nd half stoppage wasn't enough for them to get a shot on goal.

21. namesaregone

namesaregone Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That entire game was bonkers.

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    So FSC is going to pay a crazy high fee that ESPN won't, really? Peter back way from the pipe.

23. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worry not. ESPN and the FMF will come to an agreement. I cannot imagine this game not being shown on ESPN or any other english speaking channel, especially after the Conf. Cup high.

24. Gman777

Gman777 Member

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A terrible referee was the root cause. We complain about bad CONCACAF referees all the time. I wonder if anything can be done.

25. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'm not worried either. The interest in the USMNT is at an all time high. Hamburgler mention earlier about Colin Cowherd interest in the team. Yesterday I heard him say "I don't get it. I used to make fun of soccer. I can't explain it but I like soccer." so I would be shocked if it isn't on one of the ESPN networks.

Now if it isn't on ESPN or FSC I'm going to be really pissed since I don't get those spanish channels.