NCR: Girl Scout Cookies

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Robb W, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I had my girl scout cookies order delivered to me here at work this morning and it's killing me to not open the thin mints. But if I just eat one, I will eat the whole sleeve, or probably the whole box. So I'm trying to at least get them home before the unavoidable process of indulgence, stomach ache, and regret. I'm 25 and I have little self control when it comes to cookies.

Someone please tell me some news about the Crew to take my mind off these cookies and prevent me from making a stupid post like this again. Two hours and ten minutes until I'm out.

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear to God that those damn girl scouts are run by some kind of Columbian Cartel. They put some kind of low-grade coke in those damn cookies and you just can't stop eating them. I mean, I'm not one to talk about eating cookies, as the obvious weight jokes are sure to follow, but I try to never even buy the suckers cuz I know how damn addicting they are. We wouldn't have bought any this year, but some coworker of my wife's came in with her kids one afternoon and sent around the precious little 6 year old (or whatever) and my wife couldn't resist. They're the god damn devil! Man do I love the devil.

3. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The same thing happened to me. I'd be better off just giving her money and not ordering the cookies. It's around this time every year when I avoid Kroger during their daytime hours because I don't want to have to turn down buying girl scout cookies as I'm walking in and out of the store.

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't even bother me so much when some co-worker brings around the order form. In most any workplace, everybody takes turns extorting money out of each other for their kids' sake. GS Cookies are among the least offensive products of this type. (The absolute worst is the big round tin cans of popcorn for twenty bucks. Crap tastes like cardboard anyway)

The kicker for me is the little table outside the hardware store or in the Mall. You already bought some at work, you ate six boxes in 36 hours and felt really guilty about it and suddenly here's your oppotunity to redeem yourself: just buy a few MORE boxes, only this time you'll be more responsible.

It's a second chance to prove you're not really an out-of-control cookie freak.

So you buy some, take them home and don't eat them. For about an hour.

Thin mints are a satanic creation designed to steal your soul.

5. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes. My old roommate made the mistake of buying boyscout popcorn that was not microwaveable. The only way he could pop it was in a pot on the stove, and that got pretty ugly and tasted like burnt toast.

True, but they're also the best deal. For 3 bucks you get two full sleeves of them. When you buy the bigger cookies they're in that crappy plastic tray that slides out and disappoints the crap out of you when your realize you just spent 3 bucks on 10 cookies that will be eaten in less than 30 seconds.

6. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just having a coworker with the sheet isn't so bad, but my wife can't seem to turn down a 6 year old kid. I have a problem when a coworker brings their kid to the workplace, where they're aren't supposed to be, in order to extort money from you. If you want to sell them at work, just bring the damn sheet, not the kid in uniform or something like that.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    timely thread.
    had surgery on monday, feb 7.
    could have nothing to eat from midnight friday, feb 4.
    saturday morning, went out to walgreens to pick up a prescription. three cherubic girlscouts selling cookies. bought a box of thin mints purely out of the goodness of my heart, as i knew i wouldn't be eating anything, let alone cookies, for over a week. came home. set them on counter.

now, i've already pretty well cleaned out the cupboard and fridge, as i know i'm going to be away for awhile. but now there are these cookies. well, needless to say, by around 3:00pm saturday, i'm starting to get damn hungry. and these cookies start calling my name. and it's still about 45 hours until i'll get the sweet relief of anesthetic. all night saturday night. all day sunday. monday morning. no food. all the while girlscout thin mints are sitting in my kitchen - mocking me. a kind of torment that you wouldn't think those little girls at walgreens even remotely capable of. i hate them.

fast forward. surgery goes perfect. projected week in hospital is only four days. end of diet restrictions moved up dramatically. by friday, i'm heading for home, with the doctor's green light to start eating some solid foods. heading home. i've had nothing but popsicles and frozen yogurt since the knife. i know there's only one foodstuff awaiting me in my house. i'm fully prepared to take my revenge on the thin mints that had so recently been my tormentors.

get home. empty box. girlfriend, who had been watching my house, bringing in mail, etc, has consumed every damn one of the thin mints. "they were the only thing in the house, pook." for a brief moment on friday, feb 11, i hated her, too.

i fully empathize with your situation, robb w. but hold out. two hours isn't so bad.

8. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sounds like you had it much worse than me. At least I know I've got them in my possession and no one's going to come along and take them. I've got 16 minutes until I'm out the door, but I'm still going to try to wait until I get home. Hopefully there won't be any long red lights.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    godspeed, friend.

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I did good this year.

I only bought 10 boxes.

11. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The samoas do if for me. I buy at least 10 boxes every year. They are so damn good. caramel, chocolate, and coconut, and I think I tasted a little bit of crack cocaine.

12. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, it's now one day later. All my thin mints are gone, and hopefully I can avoid the girl scouts for another year.