NCR: Barca and the Fountain of Youth

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KHT_Crew, Oct 14, 2008.

1. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    FC Barcelona making bid to bring MLS back to Miami

I'll avoid any comments about Canadian expansion prospects as a result of such an announcement. I want avoid being "Archered" by anyone up north (I'm too close to the border.... I envision Mountie Elite Forces performing a black ops kidnapping while I'm sleeping).

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
  3. Indy footballer

Indy footballer New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arthur Blank submitted his application yesterday for a franchise in Atlanta, I assume that Vancouver and Montreal have thiers submitted. I'm not sure where other cities stand. I would have liked to see a submission by the group in St. Louis as we could stand to have more midwest clubs and St. Louis is long know for its soccer tradition.

What I do not want to see is FC Barcelona USA. The Goats are a retarded enough idea let alone having another. I did watch Jesse March on FFF the other night and there was discussion about rebranding the Goats. I'm not sure what exactly was said as I missed that part of the conversation but I saw the tease before commerical break.

4. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami already had a team and it folded. I think that since Miami already had an opportunity to have a MLS franchise, they shouldn't get another. They didn't even support them, if rememember correctly, they were at the bottom in attendendence with Tampa (and we all know what happened to them, too.)

There are plenty of other cities trying to get a MLS franchise. I think St. Louis deserves a team and probably another Canadian team.

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Rule #1 of MLS business practice: thou shalt not apply logic to business decisions, lest we piss off someone with a big purse.

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing about that... I remember reading somewhere that Randy Lerner wanted to put an MLS team in Cleveland and told Garber, "If you let me play in Browns Stadium, I'll write you a check today." and Garber said no.

7. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Fusion really even technically playerd in Miami outside of a double header or two played in the Orange Bowl. So they never really got a chance to tap into the larger population. However on a per capita basis they were still probably better attendance wise than NY.

8. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So far the question is which of the following two cities would you like to see in?

Portland
    Miami
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Vancouver
    St. Louis
    Atlanta

Looks like NYC is not putting a bid in, I’m not crying over the news.

9. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right about the per capita over NY, but my personal opinion is that Miami typically don't support their pro sports teams. Marlins games are practically empty. The Dolphins don't sell out their games if they aren't winning. Heck, I remember years ago, the Dolphins didn't sellout a playoff game (and I'm a huge Dolphins fan and that piss me off.)

I just think there are better options than giving Miami another team. But if Barca throws a lot of money for a team in Miami, the MLS needs to really consider the fan base and a new stadium to make to decision.

10. Indy footballer

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    StL & Atlanta. Arthur Blank is a good owner and seems serious about the investment. Montreal isn't going anywhere and can be added later. Vancouver would be a good spot but has no viable stadium option. Portland, nothing stands out to me, Ottawa same as Vancouver and Miami has tried and failed. The assessment about the lazy fans in southern Florida is correct.

NYC should never be considered. They can't even get fans to the first team they have ie LA/Goats.

11. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm rooting for St. Louis solely based on it's proximity to Columbus! If they get a team it's one more easy road trip every season.

12. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    The only thing I have against Atlanta is that Blank has put out no information about stadium plans yet. If he has just been keeping things under raps that’s fine and I’ll be interested to see his plan but until then I’m somewhat dubious. My hope has been for St. Louis and Portland then three or four teams in the south the next couple of rounds.

13. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put Portland, St. Louis, and Atlanta as my top three, in no particular order.

How about the one of those three that don't get and expansion team gets a rebranded Chivas.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any city other that Miami is a good choice provided they are playing in a SSS.

15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Winner

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Portland if only for the selfish reason that it's looking more and more like I'm relocating come summer and that puts a team 2 hours away from me rather than 4 in Seattle.

17. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I vote for Portland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Miami, Las Vegas, NY #2, Dayton, Schenectady, Albuquerque, Youngstown, Wheeling, Oklahoma City, Odessa TX, Intercourse PA, Fairbanks, Honolulu, Pago Pago (American Samoa), Clintonville, Grand Junction CO, all before I would vote for Vancouver, Montreal, or Ottawa.

18. RedBeardBlueRaider

RedBeardBlueRaider New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Schenectady Skinners has a nice ring to it. Schenectady Skunks?

19. Indy footballer

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Hell, PA. That could be a great Derby; Hell V. Intercourse. Wonder what you would call the trophy?

20. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Satan's Sex Pot!

21. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    both have a vary good history with soccer in N.America

22. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Atlanta fans are just as bad as Miami fans, so I see no reason to consider either.

St. Louis & Portland would be fine with me.

23. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Growing up in Eastern PA, there are a lot of interesting towns all in the same area:

Intercourse
    Paradise
    Blue Ball
    Bird-in-Hand

24. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland, Vancouver. Northwest FTW. The threesome of Portland, Seattle and Vancouver would be crazy for the rivalry, although it will certainly take alot from USL in the region.

Portland has some crazy ass fans in the Timbers Army, and PGE would certainly be a cool rennovation to a SSS if they get the franchise, it is very metro located, is set in the ground, sort of like the plans for Huntington Park.

25. RedBeardBlueRaider

RedBeardBlueRaider New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I have to agree about the fans in Atlanta, the league needs a southern presence. I live in Tennessee and it's pretty hard to be an MLS fan, much less a Crew fan, down here.