NCAA Week 4 (Through Sept 22) [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Hararea, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well then, why prolong the misery? You should just go ahead and fire Embick now. ;)

2. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    UCLA leads Northridge 1-0 at half after being gifted a penalty shot. Pac-12 gotta Pac-12.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UC Riverside (5-0-2) stays unbeaten with a 2-1 win over Vegas (2-5).

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Victor Chavez has a brace and Leo Stolz a goal and an assist as UCLA wins 4-2 to give Cal State Northridge their first loss of the year. Bruins are 4-2-1 (and apparently should never play on Thursdays) while the Matadors are 7-1-0.

5. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I disagree. The CSUN keeper played over Williams and denied him the ability to head the long flighted ball. Lucky he wasn't sent off as the last defender.

6. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bruins rebound nicely after a miserable showing at Irvine. CSUN is talented and deep with a number of offensive threats. Despite a good first half by CSUN, the Bruins dominated the Matadors from the open of the second half. It was only until the Bruin own goal did CSUN wake up to affect a momentum change. However that was snuffed out when UCLA netted their third.

7. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    The keeper wasn't even the one called for the foul and booked.

8. Deadhorse0908

Deadhorse0908 Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Happened twice last year (foul by sub GK in a game last year giving up PK...and shutout). Charlotte is about 'team' and I'll bet he's OK with as giving the sub GK experience is a good thing...jic

9. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Penn State 1 - 0 Duquesne.
    Gotta admit...underwhelming results against underwhelming competition for PSU. Hopefully it still leads to a good run in conference play.

Just wanted to comment on this post - Gtown which was a final four team had the exact same stats as Penn State yesterday 12 shots to 9 shots and a 1-0 victory at home. Not to say that Penn State should be ablet to score more goals aganist a team like Duquesne but if a final four team from last year was only able to beat them 1-0 at home Penn States result aganist them is pretty good. It's college soccer anybody can beat anybody on a given day - The fact that half of Duquesne's roster probably wanted to go to Penn State and where really fired up for the match. This result is probably a very good one for Penn State ! I saw the match and Penn State missed two breakaways minutes before they scored and Jordan Tyler should have had a goal in the first half.

10. jiggaman123

jiggaman123 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Penn State 1 - 0 Duquesne.
    Gotta admit...underwhelming results against underwhelming competition for PSU. Hopefully it still leads to a good run in conference play.
    Just wanted to comment on this post - Gtown which was a final four team had the exact same stats as Penn State yesterday 12 shots to 9 shots and a 1-0 victory at home. Not to say that Penn State should be ablet to score more goals aganist a team like Duquesne but if a final four team from last year was only able to beat them 1-0 at home Penn States result aganist them is pretty good. It's college soccer anybody can beat anybody on a given day - The fact that half of Duquesne's roster probably wanted to go to Penn State and where really fired up for the match. This result is probably a very good one for Penn State ! I saw the match and Penn State missed two breakaways minutes before they scored and Jordan Tyler should have had a goal in the first half.

11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    UC Davis 1-1 at LMU

Davis scored first, LMU responded before haltime.

Davis earned a red card (two pointless yellows within 5 minutes) and had to play short-handed 55 minutes to salvage the tie. As it was, they had a deep crossing pass and header just wide of the LMU goal in the last minute of second OT.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I seriously doubt that. Yeah, they skew old, but that's going to be the same for season tickets anywhere.

13. HoyaHooligan

HoyaHooligan Member

Sep 10, 2008

In addition prior to the 1-0 loss to Georgetown Duquesne had not given up a goal. Sure they let in 3 goals in the game in between the Penn St and Georgetown game, but they're still giving up less than a goal a game.

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Only if PSU gets a lot of applications from Europe. Duquesne's only in-state starter is their GK.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :sneaky:
    I apparently sit in the geezer section , which is right below the entrance to the press box.

16. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And...Keep in mind, my comments ar in regard to the overall season, not just one game.

17. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Nice win for Drake on Friday at soon-to-be-former #14 New Mexico. Drake has played a pretty tough schedule and has some losses to show for it, but I'm hoping it pays dividends when they begin Creighton-less Valley play.

18. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denver (2-3-2) notches a Sunday 2-1 overtime win over San Diego State (3-4). I like Denver and hope they join the Big West someday.

19. bravessoccer

bravessoccer Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Saw this score come up a dug a bit. http://www.golobos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26000&ATCLID=209264903

Looks like Drake converted its only chance.

NM has had some tough luck the last couple of matches.

20. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Since Stanford played in Charleston's tournament last year I assume a return trip was part of the deal. Colgate seems to travel all over and filled in for the second team in the tournament. The bigger question was how they convinced an ACC school like Maryland to fly out. I recall Maryland coming out previously and Duke coming for a mid-season game with UCSB. But when is the last time some other ACC schools like UNC played out West?

BTW the game itself was on Pac12 network. Given Colgate's record I wasn't expecting much of a game but other than the first 15 minutes of the second half and the last 5 minutes of the game when Colgate threw everyone forward it was pretty ugly. Stanford only managed 5 shots in the first half and their attack seemed to consist of a couple passes between the backs before they launched the ball down field for one of their forwards to try to chase down against a fairly deep line . I was expecting much better especially given how well they moved the ball a man down against Georgetown.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    At times I've ripped the ACC for failing to travel, but I'll back off on that criticism this year.

What's changed? The ACC has gone to an 11-game schedule plus tournament, and what this means is that (for example) Maryland spends 10 of its 11 weekends facing conference opponents. By adding a west coast trip on top of that, they're really pushing themselves. I love the fact that they did it, but I'm not going to be too harsh on a program that chooses not to.