NCAA Week 4 (Through Sept 22) [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Hararea, Sep 17, 2013.

1. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    18-1-1 when Porter arrived. Much nicer stadium, a couple exceptional years (2009, 2010) but pretty close to what found level wise - a sweet sixteen level group.

2. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincy 0 - 2 Memphis

Sherrod with his 1st goal of the season. Then he adds an assist on the 2nd goal.

3. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Virginia 1 - 2 Michigan. In OT

4. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Hampshire 1 - 0 Grand Valley. Goal scored in 97th min.

5. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCF 0 - 3 Louisville.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Creighton 1, St. John's 0, 2OT. Fabian Herbers with the goal in the 109th minute. Teams combined for 4 shots on go..... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jays_soccer_fan and CCSoccerFan repped this.
  7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Wow.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Temple wins a Philadelphia derby 1-0 over Villanova. The Owls, who have have 2 straight very good recruiting classes, are quietly 5-2-0.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    While this is undoubtedly true, it remains to be seen if the coach is as good as Ken Lolla, who has proven at Louisville that the 1-loss season he had at Akron wasn't a fluke.

Porter was able to build on what Lolla did. It's unrealistic to think Embick will build, or even maintain, what Porter did. But whether he can get to Lolla's level is the real question. If he does, Zips fans should be thrilled.

10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    #85 Hararea, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Lolla occasionally posted big won/loss records at Akron ('93, '98, '04), but overall, he didn't raise Akron's level much. He ended up with 68% wins, which is the exact same mark as his predecessor, Steve Parker, a successful coach in his own right who took the team to a national title game.

In Porter's first season - with the team left behind by Lolla - the team wasn't much above its historical level. It won 71% of its games. The next year, it won 76%. And the next five years were incredible, winning 86% overall. Yes, Porter's team suffered an upset in last year's Sweet 16 (a thrilling game in which it dominated), but calling that team a Sweet 16 level group is ludicrous.

Timon19 and fknbuflobo repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    To be clear, the point I'm trying (apparently not very well) to make is that even if Embick manages to get Akron to the levels of where it was before Porter that they'd be good but they won't be elite so that will seem like a let down even if it's actually a case of water seeking its own level.

A big disadvantage Embick has is that he doesn't have the "new car" smell that Porter did. Instead, he has a "used car" smell. Now, there are some really good used cars out there. But they aren't like a new car like Porter was.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Back to tonight's results, Fr. Coco Navarro of the RSL Academy has a pair of assists in Maruette's 3-0 win over Loyola-Chicago.

Navarro has 2 goals and 4 assists through 7 games.

Hararea repped this.
  13. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all makes sense now why Porter always wore his warm up jacket zippered all the way up. He was trying to keep in his new car smell.

Hararea repped this.
  14. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UAB tops Mercer 4 nil.

15. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte tops Campbell 3 nil.

16. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nebraska Omaha 0 - 3 Cal Fullerton

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Charlotte pulled their GK, Klay Davis, in the 75th minute, costing him a shutout. Here's his reaction to being subbed.

18. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #93 jdgaucho, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    I know Fullerton winning helps the Big West's bottom line but dang it, I want to see Nebraska Omaha do well. It's only their third year of playing as they are also still in transition to D1 but it would really help UNO out to have a winning season.

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    UNO's star freshman of last year (Giovanni Giattino) is now playing at a community college back in his hometown. That obviously hurts.

20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah, that makes sense to me. In a sense, Embick's challenge is to give the program a smooth landing.

21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is precisely the sentiment the riles me! I can just spit out my teeth!

Our intention should never be to make expectations more realistic. Shame on anyone at Akron suggesting this!

It has been proven that championships are attainable at Akron. So, that should always be our expectation.

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Suppose that Embick runs a program at Akron that often wins MAC championships and is a match for most Big Ten teams but rarely if ever is a threat to go deep into the post-season. Are you going to want him out?

23. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

24Seven repped this.
  24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Ok, then yeah, I can see why my sentiment pisses you off. ;)

25. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Crazy game. Michigan dominates first half and leads 1-0, then leaks a goal in the 90th minute with 13 seconds remaining in the game (on a throw in again like Marquette game). Goals by Zeke in first half and the OT winner was a screamer from 20 yards upper v by McAtee.

Real Mobile repped this.