NCAA Tournament third round (r)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 27, 2004.

1. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Duke did have a big edge throughout, but the second goal was on a corner.

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody got a score on the Creighton Maryland game?

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind. Maryland won 5-4 on PK's.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It's all personal. I grew up in DE and always loved The Fighting Blue Hens. Never once complained that Tubby should go, even though he never won another title. SMU on the other hand, finds ways to lose every year in the soccer tourney (actually, it's the same hand). It's just frustrating that the old alma-U will never hand him his papers, because he's one of the best college coaches out there. I guess he does what they need him to do, and that's probably as far as they'll go.

Thx,

Jay!

5. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004

UCSB understood they had to do whatever it took to win this game, including some very unfortunate conduct for 90+ minutes.

UNCG's young team (EVERYBODY comes back next year) got a quick lesson in this when a UCSB player (#9 -- Jones I believe) came in cleats up on the first challenge (he wasn't even going for the ball).

Being a man down really didn't hinder UCSB as they just put eight behind the ball, and tried to counter whenever they could. UNCG could barely get off a shot as they were being pulled, tugged, etc. etc. on every run to the goal. It was a good way to frustrate a young team.

UNCG had a couple of good runs that ended in Patterson being pulled down from behind. This all being said, UCSB is still a very, very good team, and should run through VCU in the round of eight.

To quote the game story:

==============================

The match started out very physical as four cards were issued in the first 5:55 of the game, including two to UC Santa Barbara’s Neil Jones for interfering with UNCG goalkeeper Jay Benfield. Jones’ ejection caused the Gauchos to play a man down the rest of the game.

“You have to give UC Santa Barbara credit, they played very physical and were able to frustrated us on the offensive end,” said UNCG head coach Michael Parker. “We were not able to create quality scoring opportunities. I am very proud of our boys. This will certainly go down as one of the best seasons for UNCG soccer. I don’t want to compare them, but this will go down as one of the best. The guys on the field had never been to the NCAA Tournament. When you go this far into the tournament, you can’t help but feel the pressure and nervousness.”

============================================

6. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Here's what the UCSB site says about Jones' ejection.
    http://ucsbgauchos.collegesports.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/112804aaa.html

North Carolina-Greensboro had home field advantage, an east coast ref, and an extra man for 88 minutes. Even so, they could only muster 2 shots on goal to UCSB's 8.

7. GauchoFreg

GauchoFreg Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Thanks UNCG fan for your take on the game.
    Sounds like you were there?

How would you compare the Gauchos to other teams you saw play this year?

8. dlatane

dlatane New Member

May 9, 2002
    They sure should, but the great thing about soccer is there's no sure thing. Last year Indiana had to have a home penalty kick to beat VCU.

If you look at some VCU and UNC-G common opponents in the reg season, you find

Wake
    VCU loss 0-1 2OT
    UNC-G win 1-2

UNC-CH
    VCU win 5-2
    UNC-G win 1-0

College of Charleston
    UNC-G W, 3-1
    VCU W, 2-1

UNC-W
    VCU T, 0-0
    UNC-G L 2-3

I think if Santa Barbara comes out and gets a man red-carded after 5 mins against VCU they're gonna be out.

9. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Presumably, Neil Jones will be suspended for this game, which is a pretty big blow to the Gauchos. He's a 6'4 forward who also plays for the New Zealand national team. For UCSB, he was second in goals scored and first in assists.

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    So this weekend's games (host institution second):

Tulsa v Indiana

St. John's v Maryland

Duke v. Virginia

Va Commonwealth v. UC Santa Barbara

At least one ACC team in Final Four.

11. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    UCSB is good, bigger than UNCG for sure and very physical. I was impressed to say the least. I think they'll beat VCU at home (probably 1-0 in OT again :) ).

I was surprised at the tactics today, but I think I might do it too, if I watched the tapes of UNCG's two losses and a tie. All were very physical efforts that seemed to knock us right out of our game.

my pick is for the gauchos to go to the final four, especially after what I saw today. And best of luck to you guys too, should be a fun trip.

12. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    uncgfan ... sorry to see the run end ... however, with everyone back next year you guys should be set up for another great year.

Where was Phil Long in the last two matches? I might have missed something, but I didn't see his name listed in the box score.

13. GauchoFreg

GauchoFreg Member

Nov 24, 2004
    UCSB-UNCG should not have met up in the Sweet 16, these teams were between 1-5 in most polls.

There should be more accountability in the selections.

14. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    UCSB is a very agressive and physical team so I wouldn't be too surprised about the tactics. They are also very good at defending with all 11 (or 10 as in today) players. They have a terrific forward duo in Jones and McAthy which has enabled them to play a more defensive style because those two put away most of their chances and don't need too much support.

15. Nanananooooonan

Nanananooooonan New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Sorry, can't let this go.

Final Score in NCAA round of 16 - 2003

IU 5
    VCU 0

Sure, IUs first goal was a PK...but 5-0???? Cmon...

http://iuhoosiers.com/menssoccer/results/03-04/mscrs11-30-03.html

16. uncgfan

uncgfan New Member

Sep 22, 2004

Phil must be sick or hurt because he is an integral part of our attack to say the least. Nobody in the stands seemed to know, and his absence is part of the reason we lost today.

We return everybody, and from what I understand have a few targets on the recruiting trail that could add some more firepower.

The core members of the scoring unit are sophs and freshmen so we're gonna be good offensively for a while. Just hope we can shore up the back line. Good luck everyone and may somebody not in the ACC or Indiana take it home. Those guys get enough of the hardware as it is :).

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, that's usually a pretty safe bet.

At least one ACC team has made it to the Final Four the past three seasons, 12 of the past 15 seasons, 17 of the past 20 seasons and in 26 of the 45 NCAA men's soccer tournaments. Three years, two ACC teams have made the Final Four, so all told, ACC teams have made the Final Four 29 times.

Here is a year-by-year breakdown of ACC representation in the Final Four, all time.

(r) is runner-up, (C) is national champion.

59 - NA
    60 - Maryland (r)
    61 - NA
    62 - Maryland (r)
    63 - Maryland
    64 - NA
    65 - NA
    66 - NA
    67 - NA
    68 - Maryland (C)*
    69 - Maryland
    70 - NA
    71 - NA
    72 - NA
    73 - Clemson
    74 - NA
    75 - NA
    76 - Clemson
    77 - NA
    78 - Clemson
    79 - Clemson (r)
    80 - NA
    81 - NA
    82 - Duke (r)
    83 - Virginia
    84 - Clemson (C),
    85 - NA
    86 - Duke (C)
    87 - Clemson (C), North Carolina
    88 - NA
    89- Virginia (C)*
    90 - NC State
    91 - Virginia (C)
    92 - Virginia (C), Duke
    93 - Virginia (C)
    94 - Virginia (C)
    95 - Virginia, Duke (r)
    96 - NA
    97 - Virginia (r)
    98 - Maryland
    99 - NA
    00 - NA
    01 - North Carolina (C)
    02 - Maryland
    03 - Maryland

* - Co-champs; Maryland shared with Michigan State, UVa with Santa Clara.

18. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul

19. rhydogg

rhydogg New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    West Coast
    Sandon,
    Would it be possible for u or anyone else who may know, to list what teams have been in the final four the last 10 years or so? It would be good to see what teams are consistenly making it to the final four.

20. dlatane

dlatane New Member

May 9, 2002
    Oh, that's what happened after I quit listening!

It was 0-0 in the 56th minute when VCU's Cephas (ace striker, Liberian international) was red-carded for a high kick, and then Indiana got a PK, followed by 4 more in garbage time as ten-man VCU had to push up. The last came with 16 seconds left. VCU's two strikers graduated to the A-League, and I'm actually a bit surprised they've gone farther this year than last.

The UC-SB game offers some similar dangers for VCU -- big physical team, at home.

21. Nanananooooonan

Nanananooooonan New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    IU may have been big two/three years ago with Tyler Hawley, Ryan Hammer, Pat Noonan, John Swann and the like, but to call them big this year or last is a mistake. Their key player was 5-7 Ned Grabavoy, and I think there may be only one or two other guys on the team that were 6 foot. The rest were little midgets, and they are small again this year. Small...but good.

22. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    From when I started paying attention to college soccer (Champion, Finalist, Semifinalists)

1995: Wisconsin, Duke, Portland, Virginia
    1996: St. John's, FIU, UCLA, Creighton
    1997: UCLA, Virginia, Indiana, St. Louis
    1998: Indiana, Stanford, Santa Clara, Maryland
    1999: Indiana, Santa Clara, UCLA, UConn
    2000: UConn, Creighton, SMU, Indiana
    2001: UNC, Indiana, Stanford, St. John's
    2002: UCLA, Stanford, Maryland, Creighton
    2003: Indiana, St.John's, Santa Clara, Maryland

To clean that up a bit, multiappearance teams since 1995
    Indiana: 6 (4 finals, 3 titles)
    UCLA: 4 (2 finals, 2 titles)
    St. John's: 3 (2 finals, 1 title)
    Creighton: 3 (1 final)
    Maryland: 3
    Stanford: 3 (2 finals)
    Santa Clara: 3 (1 final)
    UConn: 2 (1 final, 1 title)
    Virginia: 2 (1 final)

23. Shutout

Shutout New Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Completely agree...college soccer fans are being cheated by not seeing these two teams (UCSB/UNCG) meet in the final 4...not in the 16...
    UCSB is even #1 in the soccerratings.com poll as well as two to three other polls...don't care about RPI...they are proving they are a top side and better than a 9 seed...they have proven that by making the final 8!

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I started following college soccer when I got to college in 1984.

So, this goes back as far as I started following the game. Conveniently, it creates a nice 20-year window.

84 - Clemson ©, Indiana ®, UCLA, Hartwick
    85 – UCLA ©, American ®, Evansville, Hartwick
    86 - Duke ©, Akron ®, Fresno State, Harvard
    87 - Clemson ©, San Diego State ®, North Carolina, Harvard
    88 – Indiana ©, Howard ®, South Carolina, Portland
    89 - Virginia ©*, Santa Clara ©*, Rutgers, Indiana
    90 – UCLA ©, Rutgers ®, North Carolina State, Evansville
    91 - Virginia ©, Santa Clara ®, Indiana, Saint Louis
    92 - Virginia ©, San Diego ®, Duke, Davidson
    93 - Virginia ©, South Carolina ®, Princeton, Cal State Fullerton
    94 - Virginia ©, Indiana ®, UCLA, Rutgers
    95 – Wisconsin ©, Duke ®, Virginia, Portland