NCAA Selections Today 11/15

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by MotMot, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, I guess I should be grateful that we beat that crappy ranked UAB squad (who did NOT make it into the College Cup presented by Crack) to win the C-USA title. Otherwise, our 16-3-1 record probably wouldn't have been enough to make it into the frigging tournament.

2. iceman8716

iceman8716 New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Metrowest
  3. CollegeWatcher

CollegeWatcher New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    duke plays coastal carolina in the 1st round.
    bc has a bye, but gets the winner of ct v marist!

4. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Cal screwed, too, while the ACC gets three of the top four seeds. Same s***, different year.

5. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Big time for the Big Ten this year. Every school except Wisconsin got a bid and Indiana and PSU both were seeded.

My guess is The OSU v Memphis game will be Friday so as not to pull spectators from that small pointyball game in Columbus on Saturday.

Not a bad sporting week for me at all. I'm going to the Nat game Wed, OSU soccer Friday and will watch the OSU v Meatchicken game on TV Saturday(unless someone wants to loan me 200 to 500 dollars for a ticket. anyone? anyone?)

ACC was big too. I think I counted 5 bids and 3 seeded.

6. kizzyle

kizzyle New Member

May 13, 2004
    Michigan is in at 10-7-1, and having only beaten two top 25 teams (UConn at 22 and Ohio State at 24)???? Lost to Rutgers 3-0 (6-8-4) and tied Louisville (5-10-4).

If anyone can explain how JMU got snubbed, at 15-3-1, I would love to hear.

7. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Can anyone explain to me a legitimate reason why UCSB was seeded #9??

8. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have my College Cup tickets already.

Looks like I will get to see the Terps this year without having to get to Ludwig Field.

Who else? Maybe Indiana, UCSB and Virginia ????

9. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    And don't forget pounded by Northwestern 5-0 in the Big 10 Tournament, and only 2 wins in their last 6 games. This has to be the worst of the At-Large bids, IMO. It looks like this entire process is taking on a decidedly "BCS" conference flavor.

10. FAN0011

FAN0011 New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Region1
    New Jersey only has one team, Seton Hall, in the tournament, strange year. Seton Hall gets a home game ag. Hofstra.

Big East gets 5 teams in. St. John's and Notre Dame with the better draws. Boston College will probaby face a red-hot UCONN team in the second round.

11. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently so.

Like it doesn't piss me off enough in football.

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    To put it into perspective, 8 teams in the Great Lakes region (5-Big 10) got into the tournament this year (7 of the top 10 plus Michigan State as the Big 10 winner). And Michigan was ranked #10 in the region last week. That has to be some type of record.

13. jaques

jaques New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    SC
    Yeah...well...I guess CCU will have to take out another ACC "power house" :cool:

Oh..by the way...where's Clemson????? :confused: :eek: :D

14. UofMSoccer

UofMSoccer New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    I am still trying to figure out why Wake Forest got the top seed. I am not a fan of either but it seems to me like Virginia is a much better candidate. Virginia is 17-4 while Wake is 13-5-1. Virginia also beat Wake Forest twice this year, and Virginia won the conference tourney. It just seems insane to me that Virginia beat them TWICE and yet Wake gets the top seed.

15. s0ccerguy

s0ccerguy Member

Mar 25, 2004

I don't know how the seedings work, I don't think anyone does. I can only think of a few things. First, strength of schedule, second, winning the ACC regular season, and finally, bad loses, all of wake's losses have come to ranked teams and most of them are top 10. Those are the only reasons I can give but who knows what those people are thinking. JMU got gipped and they were ranked for a while. UNCG faces a tough second round opponent in UCSB, both who were ranked number during the season. We'll see who are really big timers and who's overrated. Should be a good tournament.

16. thisisstupid

thisisstupid Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Everyone keeps on refering to the rankings...I think what we all are failing to realize is that the rankings don't mean anything! Forget that NM is ranked #1 in the Soccer America poll. It doesn't mean squat. Forget that Mich. St is #9 in the SA poll. How can a team go from unranked and barely making the tournament to being #9 in the country? The media polls are all BS and are just for fun.
    The NCAA uses the RPI to figure out who is where. Don't go off soccer ratings.com either because you don't know what value is given to what particular category (re: wins, S.O.S., losses, etc.)

It is probably their own BCS type computer that puts together all the facts and figures.

Truth is WF and UMD played a hell of a schedule. In the end, UVA's weak games put them behind them and the fact that UVA did win the postseason tourney probably got them the #4. They should be ecstatic. UVA barely played any games away from Klocker but it didn't matter because they won the games they needed to.

On the other hand JMU had one of the weakest opponent schedules. Show me a team with a weaker one? UNC gets in with a 10-8-2 record because they played teams that were good. It is a message to JMU, Hartwick, etc. that you can't just beat up on the little guys and expect to make the field. The message is loud and clear, play good teams and you will be rewarded.

17. cent

cent New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    JMU got screwed. Simple as that. Someone gave it tooooo much thought. Hello!!!

18. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew University of Kentucky. They would get snubbed. I don't blame them (selection committe). I look forward to next year. In this case, own goal cost them. That is how. They lost in tourney. They had weak schedule (Rank of 31). Good results: Won against Akron and UAB. They tied Michigan and Indiana. Lost to Tulsa and SMU. Exhibition Tied Michigan St. and lost to Saint Johns. I not condem others. A universtiy with enrollment in excess of twenty five thousand. This might have been downfall. They did win regular season crown. Kentucky soccer is 100 years old altogether, last decade made it varsity (was club now ten pluse years as sport of reference). We need a good tournment. Either way, this is good shot to take against UK.

All Kentuckians Bleed Blue!:p

19. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    No. I'm guessing that they don't use any particular methodology other than record and schedule strength, with a strong bent toward the "power conferences" (BCS if you like). If they did, they would have passed over Michigan entirely.

20. Force10

Force10 New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pinehurst, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Hartwick missed out on last year's tourney with a 15-2-1 record they made efforts to schedule stronger opponents for this year. They travelled to the William and Mary Invitational and the Rutgers Adidas Classic. Rutgers was in the 2003 tourney, but only went 6-8-4 this year (albeit with a tough schedule). Hartwick gets hurt with a weak conference as well as with the intrastate rivals they play each and every year. These intrastate rivals (Cornell, Colgate, Syracuse) have not recently been strong.

Hartwick also did not just slip by these little guys. During a 9 game win streak this year they outscored opponents 29-5.

While I'm not saying Hartwick should be in this year (1-2-1 vs. teams in the tourney), I do feel the NCAA is biased to these "BCS" conferences.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In fairness to Michigan, they played a rough schedule.

First off, they're in a conference that send five other teams to the NCAAs. The Wolverines made the conference semis so that's seven games against NCAA Tournament teams right there. Granted, they went 1-5-1 in those games, but they certainly help their strength of schedule.

Michigan's non-conference games included six teams that made the NCAAs: UConn (win), Western Illinois (win), Long Island (tie), Indiana (loss), Notre Dame (loss), Akron (win) for a 3-2-1

Thats 13 games against NCAA Tournament teams, which is quite a claim, and they went 4-7-2. It's not a great record, but they played the teams and got a couple of results - UConn and Ohio State being the big ones - that make their case.

22. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I agree. Consider that Michigan was 4-7-2 against teams in the tournament (and 1-4-1 in their own conference), and not even in the NSCAA regional Top 10 this week. It's pretty intellectually dishonest to claim that the selections were based on travel costs and 1st round attendance, then send Milwaukee out to play San Francisco, when Stanford played a stronger overall schedule than Michigan (who gets to host MAC champion Akron as their reward). Milwaukee should be hosting Akron (they'll get more fans than Michigan), and Stanford needs to be playing San Francisco. It's virtually impossible to make the case for Michigan getting an at-large, other factors like competitiveness, travel costs and attendance proposed as being important.

23. PB04

PB04 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    It seems obvious to me that the field should be expanded to 64 teams. There is so much parity in Men's college soccer that I think it would make for an exciting tournament plus many of the bubble teams would get a second chance.

24. Force10

Force10 New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Pinehurst, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I had e-mailed one of NCAA soccer chairpersons last year (griping about Hartwick getting snubbed) and asked him about expanding the field. He said that they have some sort of guideline based on the overall number of teams as to how many should be in the post-season tournament. So based on the number of teams in DI men's soccer, 48 is the apparently the number.

25. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO

I agree. I think it's rubbish that some teams get a bye in the first round anyway. In my opinion, to win a national title, EVERYONE should have to prove that they can win 6 matches in a row.