NCAA Passes New Rule on Amateurism and Academies

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Stan Collins, Feb 4, 2010.

1. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NCAA Legislative Council Passes New Rule on Amateurism and Academies

Does anyone know if this has officially been passed?

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've waited for this type of new vision for Amatuer Status for a very long time.
    It will be a huge shift in talent sculpting in our soccer culture.

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like it can potentially have a nice impact. Time will tell.

OT: the original post quoted that only two sports were the exceptions to the new ruling, ice hockey and skiing. This thread has briefly explained the ice hockey bit, but as someone who is somewhat acquainted with the ski racing academy structure in this country, I find that bit interesting. Ski racing academies are essentially specialized high schools in the US, NCAA schools recruit from this field. Not sure what the reasoning is behind the exclusion is, I guess it may apply to those few elite identified in high school and grafted into the lower level teams of USSA? That would be where sponsorships and the possibility of income comes in, and those who go there don't compete in college. Strange to me.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Origin of NCAA Time/Sub Rules

I'm coming from a non-college soccer background so don't take this for gospel, but it's my POV.

I'm not sure about the clock, but the sub rule is likely for two reasons. First, it mirrors other American sports. Second, it allows more players to get into the game, something the NCAA strives to achieve, for better or worse. In their eyes, if you have a roster of 20-some and only 14 or 16 will potentially play, it doesn't advance the game. Coaches don't want it changed because they will have smaller rosters, recruiting will become more difficult and the ones who like to use subs will use that natural advantage.

Personally, I see no problem with taking away re-entry, but allowing 5 or 7 subs if they are concerned about participation. I bet the average number of players to appear in a game is less than 18 with re-entry so it wouldn't be a big deal.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Sorry I haven't updated. Amazingly, there are no mentions specifically of the rule since April, one week before the override deadline. But they all believed it a formality then, so I have to think it's passed. NCAA discussions on ammending the rule are phrased in such a way that one thinks it has passed, and stories about European basketball prospect Enes Kanter make it sound like the new rules apply to him.

Lastly, if the Union's pay information is accurate, FC Dallas is paying Ruben Luna but playing him on their youth team. If that's true, then they'd be jeopardizing the eligibility of all his teammates unless the reforms have been passed. Since I don't think they would do that, I'm guessing the rules must have passed.

6. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

has anybody confirmed if they are already paying him or if that was some sort of premature listing/clerical error?

i was under the impression that the salary listed in the release of league wide player salaries was simply what Luna's contract was going to be if/when he signed (perhaps at some point they were that close) but other things/problems had come up that prevented that from happening.

tho your interpretation could just as likely be correct obviously. i just didn't think MLS would make that sort of exception to its own rules. of course they still don't have any clearly defined rules so who knows.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Buzz reported this week that the deal is not finalized, apparently, even though he's on the list.

8. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999

College teams first allowed subs in 1914--one who could enter the game at any time and another who could only be used in case of injury.

Here's some historical articles on the sub rules:

1948: Coaches recommend adoption of unlimited subs (doesn't mention the rationale, but they had already allowed five subs and "three re-subs")
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...,747359&dq=college-soccer+substitutions&hl=en

In 1952 they were still advocating unlimited subs:
    http://digitalnewspapers.libraries....true&BaseHref=DCG/1952/05/06&EntityId=Ar00700

1989: Discussion of eliminating unlimited substitutions (which happened), with dissent from some veteran coaches:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/s...ge-play-starts.html?pagewanted=1?pagewanted=1

2004 article on allowing re-entry:
    http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/030104aaa.html

Not sure about the clock but for decades (starting by the mid 1920's) they played 22-minute quarters instead of halves, so progress has been made.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Hmm, I have to think that 'let's get as many kids on the field as we possibly can' mentality can't last forever. Especially since many of the best programs really don't use unlimited subs and would be only lightly affected if they were to limit to, say, 7.

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    1 person likes this.
  11. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas

what about the students before the Aug 1st date? can the Sophs and the freshmans that came in Jan 10' play on the reserves?

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

IMO, the easiest run-around the NCAA rules is colleges adopting fusbol as a competitive sport.

13. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA

i've been thinking about futsal for the past year or so. i would actually like to see it the primary U8 competitive sport, and it played in winter months at all levels.

for college, it's a different sport, so you could have the entire soccer team play futsal with the same coach part of the coaching team (probably better to have a pure futsal coach in primary slot).

i think it would do wonders for the American players touch and play in tight spaces.

for an example, i can't find it at the moment, but there is a video of a bunch of the USMNT (donovan, beasley, etc) playing 5 a side, and they look like amateurs.

i think including futsol in our program at all levels is the easiest thing to implement, that would have huge impact on skill levels.

14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

That's the idea.

Schedule the futsal as the soccer-off-season program and you'll have some sort of training all year around.

And you could shuffle scholarships and salaries to and fro as well.

Plus, it's not a bad spectator sport either.

15. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be sweet! I wonder if I have any eligibility left......

[​IMG]

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Eh, futsal, fusbal ... let's add both.

17. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from a couple of days ago, concerning Enes Kanter

"Kanter, UK's potential 11th player, also watched the scrimmage in street clothes. The 6-foot-11, 262-pound freshman from Istanbul, Turkey, still is awaiting an NCAA ruling on his amateur status.
    Kanter played for pro club Fenerbahce Ulker in his native country before moving to the United States for prep school last year, and the NCAA is reviewing benefits he received from the club."

http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...n+men+show+some+steel+in+Blue-White+scrimmage

18. ricksoccer

ricksoccer New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    So what exactly does the new rules do for college players? Are they allowed to play with professionals for example can they play in reserve games if its in the spring if its there off season?

I know quite a few teams are scrimmaging MLS teams in the spring. UCLA beat Chivas USA. They changed the subsititution rule to how professionals play also. I think that is a good thing. College soccer needs to change or it will get left behind.