NCAA D1 Tournament General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    That Michigan grouping should be some great games. Michigan-Wake and Tenn-Washington St. are interesting games.

I love that either Stamford or St. John’s will get to play in a Round of 16 game.

HeadSpun and L'orange repped this.
  2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    That's the first time I've heard FSU referred to as a blue blood!

USFSU, L'orange and VictoryCB repped this.
  3. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    #78 Carolina92, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    More blue blood credentials than UCLA now. Don’t worry, we’ll always be here to remind you of your humble beginnings. You’re still nouveau riche.

West Ender and USFSU repped this.
  4. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Unfortunately, whatever school Stamford is will not get to play in a Round of 16 game, but Samford should enjoy playing St. John's.:cool:

5. Jules99b

Jules99b Member

United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Just got my ticket for the Rutgers grouping but I wouldn't say those are the most exciting games. Glancing at the bracket, I'd say the whole FSU quadrant has the most intriguing matchups. Virginia's quadrant probably has the least intriguing but maybe I'm too confident in the seeds of that group getting through.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Four of the Power 5 conferences represented in the same group. From an RPI statistical perspective, Michigan and Tennessee are big favorites.

I think the Virginia group also could be interesting -- and it will be Thursday and Saturday.

7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is “Stamford” a college whose proud parents are Stanford and Samford?

Heeligan2 repped this.
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I hope this proves true, but Wash St. tied both UCLA and Southern Cal, which suggests it is a quality team (and was in the College Cup a year or two ago), and Wake has got talent and has got steadily better over course of season. But I’ll be pulling for the higher RPI favorites!

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    O
    its a bridge program.

Val1 and Centermid5 repped this.
  10. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I wonder what the RPI looks like after the first round. Massey keeps the rankings updated through each round. All 4 teams much closer in ranking there.

11. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That marriage would have one big culture clash. :0

McSkillz and USFSU repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost posted that I do not really believe it, that Michigan and Tennessee are big favorites. That is why I believe it will be the most interesting group.

13. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Interesting little note from the Georgetown bracket. The games will be played simultaneously at different sites. Wisconsin and UC Irvine are playing their match at George Mason at 1:30pm. At the same time the Georgetown-Santa Clara match will be played at Georgetown.

Obviously, part of the issue is that Georgetown has no lights and think they were originally planning on playing at 11am. Not sure they made the change so that the west coast teams weren't playing at 8am their time or because of field issues. Georgetown did play their game in the rain last week.

Either way, an interesting little development.

VictoryCB repped this.
  14. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I keep forgetting Georgetown still has no lights. Is there some kind of zoning or development issue there? Surely they can afford lights if they wanted them?

15. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    I think that they will never be allowed to have lights because of the hospital next to it which has a helipad. I know there is the possibility that a game could be paused to allow a helicopter to land. If I am remember right (but I could be way off), it is to transport or receive transplant organs.

Cliveworshipper and West Ender repped this.
  16. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You're right! Totally forgot. There have been multiple helicopter game interruptions over the years, even (I think) during the Round Two game with Duke a couple of years ago?

17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Looks like hell week version of soccer based on the schedule.

18. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Weird that the Canadian National Team is choosing to have a camp in November while NCAAs are still going on. Is that normal for them? Does the US have one too?

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It’s on the Fifa calendar.

because of time lost to Covid, there is A compressed calendar this year.

FIFA window either Nov 22-30 (type1 ) or Nov 22- Dec 1 ( type 2 - for all confederations except UEFA.)

Next year the November window will be a Nov 7-13.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/add7387945214a47/original/wcuchsbbdhsatd7udsg5-pdf.pdf

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  20. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
  21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #96 Cliveworshipper, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    now you know why the NWSL championship is when it is.

FIFA has never been much concerned with NCAA scheduling.
    Nor has the NCAA ever scheduled around FiFA windows.
    Several NCAA championships were scheduled during u21 World Cups

22. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    And just like that there are no PAC-12 teams in the Round of 16 while the WCC has 3. As well, the Big 12 has 1 by the skin of its teeth. 2 under performing Power 5 conferences this year in women’s soccer.

With 2 games left and 14 through, the conference breakdown is:
    Big 10 - 4 teams (Big 10 didn’t lose a game with Purdue going out on pens)
    WCC - all 3
    ACC - 3 teams (chance for 2 more although VA Tech is certainly an underdog at Arkansas)
    SEC - 2 (with Arkansas left)
    Big 12 - 1
    Big East - 1
    AAC - 0 (Memphis still to play Duke)
    PAC 12 - 0
    Ivy - 0
    1 bid leagues - 0

Hey NCAA, could you care enough to fix that St. John’s went through and not Stamford? Bracket has been wrong for a couple of hours.

23. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yayy for the Big 10.

24. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    A lot of good performances from the conference today. Wisconsin started the day throttling UC Irvine. Big wins for PSU and Michigan against big conference opponents. Rutgers was outstanding today and looked again like the team that went through the conference undefeated.

Jules99b and West Ender repped this.
  25. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Chris Henderson’s tweet summed up the PAC-12’s poor tournament. Apparently, this is the first time since 1998 that the PAC-12 has no teams in the Sweet 16. Ouch!