NCAA D1 Tournament General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 12, 2021.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can think of the UCLA loss to UC Irvine this way:

Adjusted for home field advantage, the RPI rating difference between UCLA and UC Irvine, going into the game, was 0.1230.

With that rating difference, the UCLA had a win likelihood of 93.1%, tie 4.2%, and loss 2.7%. So, rounding off, if the two teams were to play 100 times, one would expect UCLA to win 93, tie 4, and lose 3.

This was just one of those 3 games.
    [​IMG]

L'orange and HeadSpun repped this.
  2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    yet UVA we’re dinged for scheduling them. Who knew

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if you read some posts here on BS, there are some excuses given for why Santa Clara won the 2020 championship, rather than giving them credit for being deserving.

nwnittany49, HeadSpun and McSkillz repped this.
  4. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Wow, some people need to put their head down on their desks and take a break. Too long on this forum being bothered by trolls and idiots. Need to ignore them.

I will say this another way. I have too much respect for Santa Clara to ever put them in the discussion that we were having about upsets. In a far greater discussion, I don’t consider Santa Clara a mid-major in women’s soccer anyway. To me, their history is too rich and they have been too good for too long in women’s soccer to get that tag. I guess some people will consider anyone outside the P5 as a mid-major which is fair in the greater context.

5. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    That's the literal definition of mid-major. But of course you are correct that in women's soccer, Santa Clara is hardly what one thinks of as being a mid-major. Same with Georgetown, Pepperdine, BYU, and a few others who have earned it.

FreshPow and Number007 repped this.
  6. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I watched Brown vs St John's, having not seen either team all year. With all their recent success, I was pretty disappointed with Brown. Physical kickball soccer, lump it forward at every opportunity, nothing resembling a build up or passing or rotations, etc. I guess they got some strong athletes and have dominated the Ivy that way? Or am I being too harsh, as admittedly this is the only game of theirs I've seen?

7. Jules99b

Jules99b Member

United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Rutgers just won 2-0 over Bucknell. Really hard to quantify how dominant RU was in the second half. The only shots from Bucknell in the second half came from one trip down the field. I counted only five trips down the field in the second half for Bucknell. Of note, Gabby Provenzano, B1G defender of the year, was starting today after being carried off the field in the B1G tournament final.

8. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    Here is the conference breakdown from the weekend. Interestingly, no game went to penalties.

AAC 2-1
    ACC 7-2
    Big 10 5-1
    Big 12 1-1
    Big East 2-3
    Ivy League 1-2
    Pac-12 2-2
    SEC 4-3
    WCC 3-0
    1 Bid Leagues 5-17

West Ender, Jules99b and cpthomas repped this.
  9. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    A couple of additions:
    Seeded teams were 13-3
    Home teams were 24-8

10. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Some paper tigers got exposed today. Harvard and their #12 RPI and South Florida and their #20 ranking both got dusted pretty comfortably. I need someone to explain Ivy League RPIs to me. Harvard's best win was, what - Monmouth?

Carolina92 repped this.
  11. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Looking ahead to Round 2 matchups, and NC State and Pepperdine - did anyone know this about Pepperdine head coach Tim Ward? From his bio:

'An accomplished musician, Ward is a talented singer and acoustic guitarist. He was a member of the band "Your Moose," a group that performed original contemporary folk rock and released its first compact disc in 1997. His group "Ward & Egertson" released a CD in 2009.'

I think that's pretty cool! So many head coaches are single-minded, driven, all work types. Pretty neat to see this kind of thing. Someone should get FSU to crank some "Your Moose" during pregame. ;)

FreshPow, L'orange and SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  12. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pia Sundhage and Tim Ward collaboration album: "Tim and Pia"
    First song: We coach women's soccer

goaleemama and Enzo the Prince repped this.
  13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I’ll say again: the committee is not allowed to be a seeding slave to RPI when it comes to most schools but be arbitrary with others.

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Where is that written. Im pretty sure they can do whatever they choose.

15. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    The committee can essentially do what they want when it comes to seeding teams. They have a very specific set of guidelines for selecting at-large teams, but are given no criteria for seeding teams. It is left up to the committee’s discretion on how they would like to seed teams.

West Ender repped this.
  16. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The ACC/SEC rivalry is fun as long as its not Football ;). Alabama and South Carolina beating their biggest ACC rivals a consolation prize in an otherwise abysmal first round showing for the SEC.

17. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    I recommend that you listen to the “College Soccer Nation” Podcast. The Ole Miss and SMU coach host it and give good insight into the selection/seeding/matchup process. The Ole Miss coach is on the NCAA tournament committee and had another Tournament committee member on as a guest on the Nov 8th show. Apparently, the committee selects the seeds and at-large teams but then a computer does all the bracketing using the NCAA travel and no in conference matchups in the first two rounds criteria.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/college-soccer-nation/id1531816877

https://collegesoccernation.podbean...e-to-the-2021-ncaa-women-s-soccer-tournament/

SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    that process was confirmed to me by a member of the committee.

19. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    It certainly makes sense. It probably would be a bit of grind for the committee to sort out the travel requirements. Once they set the seeds and identify the at-large teams, they have done their bit.

20. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I still feel like basic exclusions should include no first round games between opponents that faced each other in the regular season and no potential in conference clashes until at least the third round.

21. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    The second part of what you said already occurs. No in conference matchups are allowed in rounds 1 and 2. This weekend there is only 2 possible in conference matchups for the 3rd round. Both ACC and when you get 9 teams it gets hard to avoid the possibility in round 3.

The first part is a bit more problematic as it would make it more difficult to follow the travel restrictions they are given. They probably would never add this since a lot of the more regional matchups are games that have high probability of being scheduled in season. I do get the gripe, though. I am sure a school like South Alabama would love to get a new experience rather than play in Tallahassee again.

Carolina92 repped this.
  22. VictoryCB

VictoryCB Member

Florida State Seminoles
    United States
    Dec 4, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a dumb question - is SMU flying or driving to FSU for Friday's game? Is this one of those things that the NCAA will cover flights for teams during the tournaments?

23. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The NCAA pays for all transportation and accomodation

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    they will fly.

per the ncaa travel policy:

VictoryCB repped this.
  25. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Best regional to watch this coming weekend?

The FSU quadrant looks daunting after first round play. Every team that advanced did it comfortably.

The Duke and UVA quadrants have blown open a bit after just the first round. Will see if that makes them exciting or boring going forward.

FSU, Santa Clara and Notre Dame* are the last blue bloods remaining after UCLA, UNC, and Stanford bowed out early.