NCAA Basketball 2011 No BCS Crap: There is a Tournament! [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Playboy Red Devil, Jan 13, 2011.

1. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of 5.7 million entrants, exactly TWO brackets in the ESPN challenge picked all 4 final four participants.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This isn't necessarily directed at you since I know you were referring to the conference, but it annoys me when people refer to schools as big or small because of the conference they belong to.
    Virginia Commonwealth 32,303
    Kansas 30,004
    Connecticut 28,677
    Butler 4,512

VCU may be the second largest school in Virginia only behind George Mason (32,562 - which also surprises a lot of people). The school has nearly two thousand more people than Virginia Tech(30,739). There are five CAA schools in Virginia and with the exception of VT(#3) and UVA(#4), they are the larger schools in the state.

//All numbers are from Wikipedia and include undergraduate and graduate students.

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a pretty awesome tournament so far! I can't believe we're back in the Final Four! We're winning it all this year.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I assume from the handle and location you're a Butler fan...

5. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got my Final Four tickets today. I'm going to Houston! Too bad the Dynamo aren't playing on Thursday or Friday in Houston.

6. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS missed an opportunity here, a Sunday afternoon game would have been ideal.
    I wish I could be there this year, minor surgery later that week keeps me in Indy.

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    My boy Joey Rodriguez is killing for VCU. I'm rooting for them.

8. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

And Calhoun has had multiple NCAA violations, hardly any sanctions though.

They are referred as big/small schools because of athletic budgets, alumni donations and other financial differences that are clearly disparate.

Go JR!

9. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

VCU vs. Butler 3:09 Pacific

Kentucky vs. Connecticut 5:49 Pacific

Pulling for the winner of VCU / Butler to win the national title.

10. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My predictions: Butler, Uconn

11. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I say VCU and UConn.

12. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Close game, looks like it's going to be a close one.

13. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dang VCU missing some key and paint points.

It was a back and forth lead changing game, but Bulter executed plays and made shots in the last 9 minutes.

VCU were exhausted.

Butler was the better team.

14. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

VCU missed many shots in the paint in the last 10 minutes, shots that were layups and missed under the basket put backs after an offensive board.

15. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome game but we need to play better tomorrow. We're back!

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was. Andrew Smith needs to produce some points. The team needs to hit a few more of their three's.

17. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

UCONN won't be able to stop Howard inside. Is Mack going to be in charge of guarding Walker?

18. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Vanzant and Nored, mostly.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hate the women's Final Four court. I don't get it.

20. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Not bad choices, Nored can play D well. Walker wasn't on his A game against Kentucky, hopefully he isn't tomorrow either. If he heats up, it wouldn't surprise me to see some double on him. UCONN has a lot of size, some hard nosed zone D could help.

21. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Me too.

This court is also underdog friendly.

Fighting Irish upsets Maya Moore and UConn. We will not see another Mens and Womens championship in the same year.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was joking with somebody earlier that I wouldn't be surprised if the women's tournament goes with an asphalt look next year... if Oregon doesn't do it first. The past few years the courts have had interesting designs. Of course by interesting I mean hideous. It's one thing to have different logos or something at midcourt and along sidelines, but the women's tournament likes adding to the entire court for whatever reason. I especially don't get it since the NCAA is all about uniformity. Dayton and all of the men's sites had the same exact court and colors except for the city name on the endlines.

I felt bad for Maya Moore. She's a great player on the weakest UConn team in years. It was unfortunate that she was on such a young team and had to do so much. It's also worth noting "Mya Moore" was trending worldwide. A search for Mya Moore is NSFW. Fortunately, a few cities knew how to spell...

23. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

UC Davis happened to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time this year where we lost to Stanford in the opening game. The atmosphere was like any men's soldout game I've attended and the stands were practically packed. No doubt it helped that it helped that the NCAA put two NorCal teams head to head. That has been my only time attending an NCAA women's Tournament game, been to several of the NCAA men's games.

24. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are playing up the classic "Hoosiers" theme. Not bad

25. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006