NC Courage 2017

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Jan 12, 2017.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jen Cooper interviewed Neil Morris, beat writer for NC Courage at WRALsportsfan.com on The Mixxed Zone - the conversation is the first half of the pod cast. It sounded to me s like he will be a really good reporter to have covering the team.

One factoid he relayed: 9 or 10 of the Courage players have already played games at WakeMed Soccer Park for their previous teams.

2. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did turn the flood lights on. Played @ 7:30 & final score was 1-0 NC with a scrum goal from Eddy after Doniak (I think) struck the post.

CoachJon repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sean Nahas makes five on the technical staff.

I'm not sure what the relationship is (brothers, cousins, father/son), but Damon Nahas used to coach the U16 GNT and is now on Anson Dorrance's staff at UNC. Sean, apparently has also worked in the GNT WYNT system.

It'll be interesting to see which bench Bill Palladino is on tonight.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Please note: These images are not in the public domain and must be properly licensed (for actual money) to be used anywhere else. Full set at www.andymeadphoto.com
    ajm170408_nccunc030.jpg ajm170408_nccunc037.jpg ajm170408_nccunc048.jpg ajm170408_nccunc073.jpg

CoachJon repped this.
  6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 20 player roster:

GK- Sabrina D'Angelo, Katelyn Rowland
    DEF- Abby Dahlkemper, Elizabeth Eddy, Abby Erceg, Jaelene Hinkle, Yuri Kawamura, Courtney Niemiec, Taylor Smith, Meredith Speck
    MID- Debinha, Samantha Mewis, Rosana, Samantha Witteman, McCall Zerboni
    FW- Makenzy Doniak, Kristen Hamilton, Ashley Hatch, Darian Jenkins, Jessica McDonald, Lynn Williams

blissett repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well this was a lot of fun:

851522751793946627 is not a valid tweet id

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    According to a local source, Yuri Kawamura left Japan yesterday, headed to North Carolina.
    She says she is eager to play and to face the challenge of an adventure in a different country; anyway, the article mentions that, just in case, "she is bringing along a trunk filled with Japanese rice (2 kilos) and all kinds of other ingredients and daily necessities". :laugh:

babranski and holden repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not necessary. There are at least two full sized Asian-centric groceries, and numerous smaller ethnic markets in the Triangle.

Li Ming's is where I go when I want to shop. If I know what I want, there's a few hole in the wall markets I go.
    http://lm-globalmart.com/

blissett repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CoachJon repped this.
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Another one on their Twitter feed. At least you can embed tweets.

851908087585931265 is not a valid tweet id

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I followed a twitter link and found the David Glenn show streaming on WSJS 600 AM (Winston-Salem). The Paul Riley interview was entertaining to me (no shocker there).

Dean Linke was substitute host today.
    Linke has been broadcasting Carolina Railhawks for 10 years and the will do NCFC this year. I don’t know about the Courage. He also did some WPS games for Fox.
    The last hour, he had NCFC midfielder Austin DaLuz in studio.
    • DaLuz, a Winston-Salem native, was a Railhawks player 2012 – 2015 and is back on the NCFC in 2017.
    • His Dad, Tony DaLuz, has been head women’s soccer coach at Wake Forest for 19 years.
    • Tangent: Maddie Huster, who is Tori Huster’s younger sister, will be a senior at Wake Forest in 2017; she played DM and CB and captained the Demon Deacons in 2016. Maddie has played on the Washington Spirit reserves.
    Linke interviewed Paul Riley and Curt Johnson.
    Johnson talked mostly about the overall club and tipped his hat to the women, saying they were great personalities with great passion and a very welcome addition to the club.​

A few of Riley’s comments:
    • 2016: “…we stumbled into the playoffs…”
    • Mewis: “…we built the team around her…” “..she has been working hard after practice – heading in the box, PKs, and free kicks…” he expects she will be a Captain
    • Hatch: “… she will get time off the bench…” "…we want to help her grow her game in the same way Lynn Williams has over the last 18 months…”
    • Williams and McDonald: “ …the difference this year is teams will be focused on defending Williams and McDonald from the very first game…”
    • His Coaching Staff: “… they have humor, experience, and soccer knowledge; it is great having more eyes and perspectives..." "...the keepers love Nathan Thackeray - I hardly see them at all…”
    • Player development: "….our job is to push as many people forward as possible so Jill Ellis can win the next World Cup…”

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOVE this image!
    Not even considering they are my two favorite players, period.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two of my favorites on the club.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Dean Linke was the USMNT press officer during WC94. He's been around. He also does a ton of Olympic Sports work for the Big Ten Network.

Bill Palladino needs little introduction. He's been at Anson Dorrance's side longer than I can remember. He moonlighted as an assistant coach for the WNT during the April Heinrichs era. He's married to WNT legend and broadcaster Wendy Gebauer

Sean Nahas has worked with the WYNT and GNT organization. He's the younger brother of former GNT head coach Damon Nahas (who is now on the bench at UNC - Last year's U20WNT was Damon's as U15s photos here)

Don't really know anything about Thackery.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CoachJon repped this.
  18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy - You're bringing out their great personalities and good looks in your shots!... NC is going to love them; it's inevitable.
    Do you think they'll get 5,000 fans to the home opener? Have you got any scuttlebutt on season ticket sales?

AndyMead repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have no clue. I can't see that I've seen any local marketing whatsoever. But then, I'm not the demographic they're chasing. I don't listen to local radio, and I don't watch local TV, and I don't get the paper anymore.

I will say that the RailHawks were getting 2500/3000 when I was team photographer in 2010-11. Traffic professionalized the front office and rebalanced the budget from all players to making sure the front office had marketing and sponsorship marketing dollars. By the time the FIFA hotel was raided a couple years ago, attendance was in the 5-6k range. Steve Malik has continued the gains made by Traffic.

They're definitely pushing for an MLS team, and making many changes to be ready. I shot the NCFC/Atlas game and it appeared that they had three people in the press box working social media during the game. I've noticed the Courage social media efforts are already in full sprint.

Until next Saturday, we really have no clue. Yeah, it looked like at least 500 people showed up for the UNC scrimmage last weekend, but then, 500 would've shown up if the Spirit had come down to scrimmage UNC here. And 500 people showing up for free doesn't mean 500 will want to pay parking and for a ticket.

I'm more interested in attendance in August/September than I am in April/May. But that won't stop premature teeth-gnashing if it's 3,000 or premature celebration if it's 7,000.

Based on nothing other than years of doing this. I would guess the team is targeting a stable 4-5k. Below 4k, and they'll have some work to do, above 5k and the challenge will be to not get too far ahead of themselves.

The positive signs are that the NCFC organization is definitely tying the two teams together as much as possible. They're creating a "club" with two teams. Love one, love the other. Sponsor one, sponsor the other. It's pretty shrewd.

The Courage are inheriting the RailHawk's jersey sponsor, while the newly renamed North Carolina FC bring in new revenue with Circle K.

*note for ease, I plan to continue using "RailHawks" as it is much easier and less clunky than "North Carolina FC". Additionally, I reserve "NCFC" for the organization as a whole - except when it's obvious in context I mean the NASL team.

Short version: I think 5k is a decent guess, but it's not based on anything I know.

20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the whole post.
    I think this is a wonderful about-face for team spirit: Integration being the theme for the men's team and women's team as opposed to alienation, as experienced with the Rochester Rhinos.
    Here is what you pointed out in action:
    852885020146626561 is not a valid tweet id

holden repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.nwslsoccer.com/videos/15867912

Well, I had said that Kawamura could have been dangerous with headers from CKs and set pieces, and indeed she was.

General considerations about the match and defense in particular?

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 CoachJon, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    My reactions to the game are in my post (#22) in the Week 1 Discussions thread.

blissett repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok, not familiar with how the info is normaly parceled on this NWSL boards. I thought "Week 1 Discussions" was more for general chat about the games, while the club-dedicated thread was for a more supporters-oriented talking (a little as: in general-chat thread I talk as a neutral soccer fan, in club thread I wonder about the chances we have to beat others and reach play-offs :p).

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #124 AndyMead, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    I just watched the game. Hard to say anything about the defense. With the injuries, Washington was completely on the back foot. I will say that the few times she was asked to get involved, Kawamura looked really solid.

I think this team is going to go where Debinha takes them. From early preseason to today, she is absolutely a force of nature in the midfield. If she gets on the same page as our attackers, we could put up some big goal scoring totals.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that.
    I only pointed to the other thread because I didn't want to copy and paste it to this thread..... not because I think you should have looked there first... sorry.

When I went to Flash games I used to post my "game report" in the weekly discussion forum because that is where I figured most of us would see it..........

blissett repped this.