NC Courage 2017

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Jan 12, 2017.

1. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I didn't think it that complex...

1. Andy posts picture of Rowland on March 14th.
    2. holden comments that he didn't immediately recognize Rowland and that she's looking trim on March 14th.
    3. babranski goes to NC courage game on March 25th.
    4. babranski comments "I almost didn't recognize her" on March 26th
    5. holden posts link to post where that was mentioned on the 14th.
    6. babranski still doesn't get it.
    7. holden posts a summary.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nevermind, guys, I already had my answer a few hours ago, via Tweet.

According to a reliable Japanese source, Yuri Kawamura was signed by NC Courage for season 2017:

Good luck to her and, if you can, keep me updated about how she blends in the group and about the level of her performances, guys! :)

CoachJon repped this.
  3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't saying sorry because I didn't understand. I was saying sorry that I missed your post and/or at the idea you seem upset that I did. It was a small, easily overlooked part of the conversation I wasn't involved in. It doesn't seem like something that you should jump down somebodies throat for.

AndyMead repped this.
  4. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody even notice her on the sideline? I was keen on watching her play but I don't think she got into the game and if she did I completely overlooked her.

blissett repped this.
  5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I mostly avoided posting in these forums for the last number of years for a reason.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    She was not there, nor does she have a number.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks. Usually @Ndsk_foot is a reliable source, so I assumed what he wrote is true.

Maybe details of Kawamura's signing were still pending and she's going to receive a number and officially join the group from now on only.

Please, let me know if she shows up. :)

8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course, I have every intention of being at the next few games. The rest of the preseason games are in Cary so perhaps this one being in Charlotte limited the # of players they could take.

Saying that, I can't help but think of Bryane Heaberlin. Still hoping to see her get a look.

blissett repped this.
  9. thomas57

thomas57 New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Saying that, I can't help but think of Bryane Heaberlin. Still hoping to see her get a look.[/QUOTE]

there he is, that unc thing again, jeez

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Heaberlin is in Europe, but I believe the club plans to keep her in the mix after the season in (Germany, I believe) is over.

It sure looked like most/everyone still in camp was there. I believe they played 22 players play, plus the captain, Erceg, who continues to work out, but not play. She did participate in at least one of the ball drills.

I know they're waiting on a couple of the draftees to finish school.

I'm not sure what the NWSL roster limits are, but I'm guessing they still have a few bodies to cut before the 15th.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    If you think I was upset and jumping down somebodies throat, then I'd hate to see you interact anywhere else on the internet. Sheesh. I'll make a note to myself not to use sarcasm when responding to one of your posts again since apparently you don't understand it.

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #87 holden, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    To give everyone a chance to forget how annoying you are?

(I'm not saying I'm the most beloved poster here, but I do find it amusing you're complaining about me, when you've already pissed off at least half of the posters here at one point or another in the few months since you've been back)

13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaven Forbid.

14. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologized for missing the post... what are you on about here, holden? It's not that big of a deal.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    What are you on about here? I just found it amusing you noticed the same thing as me (albeit only a while later), so I was trying to point it out in a funny way. I was not upset and did not ask for an apology. Also when I posted my summary, I was thinking of Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride... but I guess I didn't really make that clear and so the general tone of that post was lost? I dunno... all I know is: [​IMG]
    (See it's funny cause it's using the picture of the success baby wrong)

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Presser
    Goalkeepers (2): Katelyn Rowland, Sabrina D'Angelo

Defenders (9): Elizabeth Eddy, Abby Erceg, Taylor Smith, Abby Dahlkemper, Jaelene Hinkle, Courtney Niemiec, Meredith Speck, Claire Wagner (NC Courage draftee), Tina Iordanou (invitee)

Midfielders (8): Michaela Hahn, Samantha Mewis, McCall Zerboni, Samantha Witteman, Rosana, Debinha, Maria Lubrano-Lavadera (tryout invitee), Megan Lindsay (tryout invitee)

Forwards (6): Makenzy Doniak, Lynn Williams, Jessica McDonald, Kristen Hamilton, Ashley Hatch (NC Courage draftee), Darian Jenkins (NC Courage draftee)

CoachJon repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    History lesson time!

In 2001, the original WUSA lineup included a team called the Orlando Tempest. It's founders included Michelle Akers.

Don't remember Michelle Akers playing in the WUSA, or a team in Orlando? Well, Michelle was injured and not expected to join the team until mid-season.

There used to be some pre-season photos on Getty, but I can't seem to find them. In fact, the only echo I can currently find is a mid-change logo - posted here on BigSoccer.

The Orlando club, owned by Time-Warner Cable, was unable to find a suitable place to play. With time running out, a deal was struck with the Town of Cary - who was in the planning and land clearing stage of a new soccer park which was going to have a 500-1,000 bleacher seat "stadium field". The Tempest would relocate to Cary, and the stadium field would upgraded to roughly 7,000 seats with locker rooms, press facilities, and a field house. In addition two FIFA level practice fields adjacent to the main stadium would be reserved for the club's use. The problem is that the stadium would not be ready until 2002. A deal was struck with UNC to play the 2001 season at Fetzer field, with temporary bleachers put up opposite the permanent stand and behind the goal in front of the Eddie Smith field house. Additionally a video board was trucked in for each game.

Here's the aforementioned graphic

[​IMG]

Yep, the infamous "toxic fart cloud". Don't remember it? The team was quickly rebranded the "Carolina Courage". Oh, and Akers - from Central Florida - retired for good instead of relocating to Raleigh-Durham, and Carla Overbeck, who was taking a year off (having recently given birth) and pondering retirement, was talked into replacing Akers.

Here's a photo by Scott Bales/YCJ - The first half of the 2001 season we were still shooting film:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BP0uuashmP1/?taken-by=theandymead

You can view some of the 2003 WUSA hits by Scott, myself, and (maybe) a few by BigSoccer legend BonnieLass at the bottom of this page:
    http://andymead.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/Club-Soccer-Womens/C0000fDK8VkWUyjU

At some point, I'll get some of the 2001-2002 stuff up, but it's a low priority. I still need to get the 2003 WWC up.

EDIT:
    Oh, yeah, I digressed. Anyway, the stadium - the first SSS for women's pro soccer in the U.S. - opened in 2002 as SAS Stadium, and the park was SAS Soccer Park. After the sponsorship ran out, WakeMed took over. The stadium field has not had a name for a few years - hence WakeMed Soccer Park, not WakeMed Stadium.

5-10 years ago seats were added to the hillside on Field 2, and it was rechristened Koka Booth Stadium.

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great History Post - If I could rep twice I would have.

20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I don't even think the stadium had a name until this point.

EDIT: Welp, I posted that 2 seconds too quick. Didn't realize it was SAS stadium, thought it was just park. Good post, Andy.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shame, of the 3 goals I was hoping to get a replay of the Debinha goal, it looked the most interesting from my perspective.

I can confirm it was Dahlkemper that took the corner.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Press release just went out.

Courage signed Yuri Kawamura pending a P-1 Visa from the government and her ITC through FIFA.

blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yuri is still in Japan.

I went out for the Duke scrimmage but lightning delayed the start, and with no lights to speak of on the field and another 30-60 minutes of storms (on radar) plus the 30 minutes after the last lightning strike before they're on the field and another 10-15 to warm up, I left.

Bill Palladino is assisting with the team on a volunteer basis.