NBCU Strikes New 10-Year NHL TV Deal

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by JJ Mindset, Apr 19, 2011.

1. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    ??? This is fantastic news.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You like Versus and NBC coverage? I mean, I admit, there isn't much better, but I'd rather have ESPN at least get some games. Or maybe just have CBC expand to the US.

1 person likes this.
  5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Oh, that's what you meant. In that case, I understand. ESPN was better. And if Don Cherry was across USA airwaves, the NHL would surpass the NBA. He makes it much more entertaining.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bummer, because we can find a way to get Skysports announcers for the EPL rather than the Fox Soccer guys, but we have to listen to NBC and Versus brutalize the broadcast for us.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'd be interested to see this actually - he has a very good persona for US TV, and NBC would be smart to get a solid PBP guy from TSN to do weekend games - a guy like Chris Cuthbert would be a good choice - lots of enthusiasm and solid game calling.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They try to copy him with Mike Millbury, but it just fails miserably.

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is great news, ESPn cares Fuc... all about hockey, I am glad they stuck with a network that will make them a priority and got a good bit of money out of the deal this time.

11. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hockey Night in Canada is on almost every Saturday night on NHL Network. They pull used to pull the early game and late game. Last year the early game was on live, then the late game was broadcast on Sunday afternoon. Don't know why.

They had the full CBC feed. Don Cherry at the intermission, hot stove lounge at the 2nd intermission and the pre and post game show.

You are right though, CBC too. HNIC is the best hockey show going. Its intangible, I can't put my finger on why it is better, but it just is.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's better because they treat the audience like intelligent and educated fans. They make programs and talk to us like hockey fans. NBC and Versus are always targeting the casual fan in everything they do. They are always treating the viewers like they have never seen a hockey game, so they keep the commentary and analysis kindergarden simple.

Furthermore there is still an understated approach to sports programming in Canada. It's similar to some of the stuff that filters through to me from England. NBC and Versus are all about loud, quick soundbites. They are Chris Berman and Mike Millbury. "HE COULD GO ALL THE WAY!!" CBC is more Bob Cole, much more about calm, composed analysis. I'll never forget my wife, who is a very casual hockey fan, and who had never heard of the game before moving to this country, commenting one summer while were in Manitoba, "wow, Canadian TV is so much better. They actually talk about the game here!" Too much of American announcing is about that funny joke the announcers heard earlier off the air, or about talking nonsense to each other.

The worst offenders by far are Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin. Just tune into a CSN broadcast sometime, I've heard them talk about the sandwiches that were on the plane and other non sense all while the game is going on. I've never figured out if Americans actually like this sort of stuff. But considering that I know Comcast and NBC are multi billion dollar companies and obviously do focus groups and all that, I have to come to the conclusion that they do, I guess.

14. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Often find American announcers seem like they started doing their job calling baseball, where they have to fill every second of non-play with stories, stats and other ramblings. They don't like letting the game flow and calling the game.

15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    With the notable exception of Mike Emrick.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's good, but when they put Eddie Olycyk it's like watching Shakespeare have a conversation with a donkey.

17. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  18. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Bumping this up because Ed Sherman thinks that the deal has paid off for NBC and NHL so far:

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-...orth-with-multiple-platform-playoff-coverage/

19. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC has really upped their game

otterulz and MasterShake29 repped this.
  20. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I've watched several NBC Sports rebroadcasts up here on TSN this season - and I must say the most noticeable change was that the broadcast quality was improved - specifically talking hockey to hockey fans, which I thought was lacking previously.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first year was horrible. I still never understood why NBC thought it was a good idea to make their audience feel stupid by talking to them like they had the IQ of 60. Hockey more than any other major sport in the US is about the hardcore fan. All they did was alienate them.

22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The games I watched had Gord Miller doing play-by-play - one of the best in the business IMO - I'll watch those games (even with Buffalo market ads) anytime.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like they just picked up a TSN feed.

24. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  25. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the god awful contract the league first signed with them, this is a huge improvement. NBC is doing good things with their sports division. Now just get rid of Pierre, please.