NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm running behind watching the DVRd recording of this game and noticed the same thing. Arlo is now the Chicago Fire announcer. Was that his choice or did NBC dump him? I like Drury but I also liked White and thought White provided the needed insight having lived in the US but also being English and starting his career in England.

MLSinCleveland and NorthBank repped this.
  2. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I think his contract was up and from what Arlo posted on Twitter at the time it sounded like they couldn’t agree to terms.

of course a week later White was hired by the Saudis to do commentary on their golf tour. Who knows what happened but White may have been negotiating with both sides simultaneously and when NBC wouldn’t meet his demands he chose the Saudi blood money.

The Fire thing was probably a year long deal that obviously ends with the new MLS / Apple deal next year.

I like White’s commentary, but I lost respect for him when he signed on to the Saudi deal.

NorthBank repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I and my family want to genuinely thank NBC this weekend.

They put only 2 matches on TV, one of which was Arsenal thankfully. Virtually everything was on Peacock.

If they end up putting more stuff back on TV and my DVR in subsequent weekends, then I’m sure I’ll be watching more of their content in a friction-free, time-shifted, spoiler-free way.

But their decision this weekend really freed my time up for other things.

This is the honest truth but obviously a bit tongue-in-cheek. I’ve been a paying subscriber to Gold/Peacock for quite a few years now.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the lovely Rebecca Lowe someday walks off into the sunset, I’d be fine if Cara Banks replaced her. She’s experienced, poised and knowledgeable.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2355 NorthBank, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    Another little fail by NBC today.

Riveting match ends on NBC channel (happened to be my team, but I think it would've been riveting even for neutrals), and within a minute or two of FT they were done with their coverage. No studio comments, no highlights. NO GOALZONE show.

OK, I know that NBC had to quickly cut to golf, but why the hell not put the post-match stuff on Peacock? Like they've done more than a few times before? Isn't that one of the big selling points of digital streaming? No more of the restrictions that dogged the cable channel scheduling?

Why are they so inconsistent with how and what they show?

Borderline bush league, if you ask me.

richsavare, BocaFan and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  6. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I might be missing something but it looks like City-Crystal Palace is only listed in Spanish on Peacock. The NBC web site didn't list CNBC as an option. Brighton-Leeds was the USA Network game. Did I missing something?

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t think we’ll see many EPL games on CNBC anymore. Maybe only on a few special days like opening/closing or boxing day.

8. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    The English file appeared very late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. Maybe it was just a tech glitch. Both the English and Spanish files required scrolling to the right passed the highlights file, which was strange. And, again, a search only produced the Spanish file. Anyway, I never watch anything live so no big deal.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, wish they would just keep all the TV games on USA network (unless showing multiple games on TV at the same time). I don't have the stats but it just seems like there is almost always a post-game show on USA and never one on NBC.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been GZ shows on NBC from time to time. It’s just very inconsistent and unpredictable. Gone are the good ole days of NBCSN.

BocaFan repped this.
  11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I miss him (I don't), but Oliver Tse would probably be here to post about how Comcast shutting down NBC SN was a good/bad deal for Comcast because...

And it'd probably have something to do with them getting more subscribers to Peacock (or to ISPs that include Peacock) and more money even though they could charge every TV subscriber a few dollars/month for NBCSN rather than select people for Peacock.

12. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    They're running a special on Peacock till the end of September

1 year for $20 (PROMO CODE: Oneyear)
    12 months for $2/month (PROMO CODE: September)

BocaFan repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That’s a great deal. Is that for “Premium”?

14. hwkn

hwkn Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Comcast customers'll also be paying $1.99 a month or $19.99 a year for Peacock Premuim eventualy once the free deal ends.

15. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    It's the version with ads.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's to for Premium then it doesn't include EPL? At least that was my understanding. Could be wrong though, or they could've changed their tiers?

17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regular is free- limited programming no EPL
    Premium is $4.99 (regularly) and has EPL
    Premium plus is $9.99- same programming but no ads.

18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I both love and hate the midweek games. Obviously more EPL is great. But there is no way to have time to stagger my viewing in ways I like to with work during the week. That means if the teams I most prefer to watch are on USA then I have to deal with that stupid rotating spoiler but on the screen when none of that idiocy exists on Peacock. I wish they'd do away with that and put a banner up from time to time about going to their web site or phone app to see updates.

19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    My solutions to the above problem:

1. Watch the non-USA games played at the same time first
    2. If I don't go with #1, I drape a washcloth over the top right corner of my TV to cover the box with the other scores since they're not usually mentioned by the commentators.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is that just for new subscribers, I wonder? I am going to see if I could take advantage of it. I don't even know if my current subscription is monthly or annual, I just know I have the Premium with ads membership.

21. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Not to change away from the topic, but has anyone been having issues with USA network freezing up routinely during the games?

I usually DVR through comcast, and am not getting this from any other channel..

thoughts?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2372 Kryptonite, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    In a worst-case scenario, you could probably always start with a new email.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that there is no football in England this weekend, does anybody know or has NBC said what they’re gonna do with all those timeslots that had EPL content? Law & Order reruns Would be the lazy solution.

24. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Maybe extra coverage of the Rugby World Cup Sevens, Vuelta a España and Diamond League.

25. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premiership Rugby is playing this week