NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    as I understand it, NBC has the rights to the EPL for just the remainder of this season and the NHL for another season after this current season. Does anyone know where the negotiations are for either league?

I can only imagine ESPN getting the rights to either one or both of these leagues. I would say TNT but the whole Champions league/Bleacher Report thing didn't work out.

Precarious times indeed.

2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    With premier league, it’s anyone’s guess. I doubt it will be ESPN. It’s too expensive to put on ESPN+ and half the season overlaps with college football.

For NHL, it will probably be multiple deals with ESPN, Fox, and NBC all getting something.

3. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I could see NBC renewing the EPL rights with one match on NBC, then one or two on USA, then the rest on streaming. They're really the only network who could conceivably show the 12:30 pm Saturday/11:30 am Sunday matches on network TV every week.

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Fans who prefer their matches on TV should hope that NBC renews their EPL rights. As noted by @KensingtonSC above, no other network could deliver the late Saturday match on TV.

No matter where the EPL ends up, most matches will be on streaming - and not only because of kickoff times. Streaming is the future and the future is now. Painful at times as the major players adjust but it's here to stay no matter what. If I had to take a wild guess at who will end up with the rights if NBC do not renew, I would consider CBS. They put their toe in the water with the Champions League and will be looking for more soccer content - especially during the winter break that the CL takes. It would mean 1-2 matches only on TV but believe me, the Premier League only cares about the bottom line and streaming is NOT being looked down upon by the leagues as it is with many fans.

And as a final note, do not overlook a huge surprise like Amazon getting the rights. They have partial rights in the UK and certainly the money to be a player. They just announced that they will be bidding for Serie A rights in Italy so their push into holding soccer rights fits into this timing. They could partner with NBC or CBS to keep some matches on traditional TV. I'll go ahead and say it for the record - for me, Amazon are the current frontrunner to get EPL rights in the US next cycle.

SA
    soccertvblog.com.

Art Deco repped this.
  5. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It appears that Peacock is once again offering replays of Premier League matches shown on NBC/NBCSN, so one less thing for the doom-and-gloomers to complain about.

Statman repped this.
  6. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Would be fine if they paywalled the whole league and I could cut my 'cord' and pay a one time fee, but it never works out that way. Especially as they are under the Comcast(cable) umbrella.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could Fox want some of this stuff with intentions of raising the profile of FS2?

It's a stretch, but Fox Soccer Plus is still holding on. Could Fox pick EPL back up and put it on FS2 and Fox Soccer Plus?

CNBC has shown some NHL playoff games plus they show Olympic coverage. I'd imagine their programming Saturday AM isn't much of anything.

Remember when ESPN2 had one Saturday AM game and Fox had the rest? Could we be headed to another shared-rights situation?

8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sad. NBCSN's early coverage of the EPL was phenomenal. It has gradually deteriorated and went from easy to follow to as convoluted as one rights holder could possibly make it. Sad.

Renzi, Statman and NorthBank repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2134 Kryptonite, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    "Everything's streaming."
    "Streaming is the future."

Now people are complaining because stuff is diluted.

I agree though. Streaming apps/sites should be used for overflow stuff like when there's two games on at once or for niche stuff.

It's getting to be too much between all these apps and flipping inputs back and forth. From ESPN+ to the home screen to scrolling to the Peacock app, into that tab, then finding the game itself and waiting for it to load. (Peacock is the slowest app in the history of apps.)

I love my TV remote where it's a matter of going right to that channel. I can go from NBC to ESPNU in under one second.

10am:
    Manchester United vs Everton (NBCSN)
    Aston Villa vs Newcastle (Peacock)

Alternatively, here's an NHL scenario:
    7pm:
    Washington DC vs Boston (NBCSN)

9:30:
    Colorado vs Vancouver (NBCSN)

If the first NHL game runs long, it can start on time on Peacock and NBCSN in the Colorado TV area.

NorthBank repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. That's why seeing EPL coverage on US TV again in any significant quantity is sadly a huge long-shot. :(

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. And more succinct than I tend to post.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Could've sworn in the not too long ago, there was the potential that FoxSports may be going away in the not to distant future. Can't remember where I saw it.

sitruc repped this.
  13. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    The WWE Network is also moving to peacock in March.

Peacock just surpassed ESPN plus in value.

They have already added the supercross, and speed skating and figure skating to what they had already (rugby, snow, Prem, etc).

14. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's news to me. That would suck. FS1 has some legit content.

15. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot take:

What if Peacock starts some sort of "UK Sports" channel? It could be EPL, Sky Sports, Men In Blazers, etc.

The other loss, of course, are those two shows. It's fun to see what's going on in cricket, rugby and everything else.

16. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope, at the start of Peacock, was that the platform would result in a net gain of EPL and EPL related SKY content. Unfortunately, that hasn't materialized yet, but your "hot take" does sound great, which is why it won't happen. Comcast has always existed for the sole purpose of getting me pissed off.

Elon Musk, please hurry up with Starlink service to my area so I can finally throw my Comcast equipment to the curb!

NorthBank repped this.
  17. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fios isn't available in your area? Ouch.

18. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Its Comcast or cellular data here, and I'm a bit off the beaten path so i get limited 4g.

19. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow:
    12:30 Premier League Live on Peacock
    1pm Chelsea v Wolves on Peacock
    1pm Burnley v Villa on Peacock
    2:30 B&H Albion v Fulham on Peacock

3pm (coverage begins) MUFC vs Sheffield United on NBCSN
    3:15 Everton vs Leicester City on Peacock.

Of course, it's two hours of Sky Sports News on NBCSN tomorrow. I get that Chelsea is having an awful year, but even ESPN isn't dumb enough to show SportsCenter instead of a live game.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've enjoyed having SSN this year on NBCSN, even if their airing of it has been at times inconsistent. With my DVR visual fast-fwd'g I can zip through each 1-2 hr show in about 25% of the total time.

It's just one of the many many programs I'm going to miss when EPL coverage on TV is 98% removed next year.

Kryptonite repped this.
  21. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question:

How do commercial establishments show games on Peacock? Yeah, it's not much of an issue now with reduced seating and all, but I'd imagine it could become a major issue once NBCSN shuts down.

22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure well-run sports bars have Roku or comparable tv's and can figure it out for games with enough interest. Chain restaurants and dive bars probably not so much, especially if the game is more niche.
    Hopefully platforms improve and it gets easier for a disinterested bartender to get streaming games on the screens. It wouldn't surprise me if big companies like Applebee's develop an in house platform for their places.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it''s certainly harder and harder for them, compared to the good ole days of grabbing a remote and changing the channel on a cabled TV. And to have individual control of multiple TV's means that their "IT infrastructure" is going to have to be upgraded, e.g. multiple Roku's, a better/faster/newer Wifi router/AP to try to meet the demands of simultaneous streaming to those multiple TV's, if they can.

I wouldn't be surprised if bar owners, like me, are cursing this new fragmented streaming world, with the many more separate accounts/charges, the complex/cumbersome user interface, more remotes to operate, etc, etc.

24. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically...there isn't any sort of "Peacock Commercial" or "ESPN+ business" or anything. They're on the same thing a residential account is.

On the bright side, hopefully this means the days of $20/person PPV are over.

The downside is that we can't tell the bartender "turn on channel 287 or 672" or whatever it is. This would also mean another remote for them to potentially keep track of. If it's a place like BW3 or Applebee's, then it may not be worth the hassle. :(

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I think those have days have been over for quite a few years now... at least from my experience.

Agree 150%. In fact I think I said basically the same thing in the post right before yours. ;)