NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You only get every NFL game if you pay an exorbitant sum of money for Sunday Ticket, which is only available on one provider. (I think they now offer a streaming option but I think it's quite limited re who it is available to.)

2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not live. And it if it's not live, it's dead.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's see what happens in a year or two with the next NFL TV deal, but as of now:

Two Thursday night games are on NBC. Many more are on FOX. Amazon (I guess to appeal to the "everything's streaming" crowd) has simulcasts. All Thursday night games with the exception of the NBC ones are on NFL Network.

Sunday night games are on NBC.

Monday night games are on ESPN.

Sunday afternoon games are online (if you can provide the address of an apartment) or via DirecTV.

Three games per Sunday are on Fox and CBS with the exception of the last Sunday when both networks get a double header.

Saturday games seem to vary between NFL Network, ESPN and broadcast channels.

In summary, to watch every NFL game of a specific team, you'd need:
    CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network and Sunday Ticket.

I believe all playoff games are on broadcast TV.

4. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's see what happens in a year or two with the next NFL TV deal, but as of now:

Two Thursday night games are on NBC. Many more are on FOX. Amazon (I guess to appeal to the "everything's streaming" crowd) has simulcasts. All Thursday night games with the exception of the NBC ones are on NFL Network.

Sunday night games are on NBC.

Monday night games are on ESPN.

Sunday afternoon games are online (if you can provide the address of an apartment) or via DirecTV.

Three games per Sunday are on Fox and CBS with the exception of the last Sunday when both networks get a double header.

Saturday games seem to vary between NFL Network, ESPN and broadcast channels.

In summary, to watch every NFL game of a specific team, you'd need:
    CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN, NFL Network and Sunday Ticket.

I believe all playoff games are on broadcast TV.

5. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Peacock is for overflow or "extra" games. It's not meant to be a true replacement. NBC knows that as long as they keep games on NBCSN, they can continue to charge providers.

That whole thing of streaming providers charging more is a valid point. At some point, decisions have to be made. At least they offered money-saving deals. I got four years of Disney+ for the price of two. I got another deal when I signed up with ESPN for a year in a just-ended offer. I got similar when I signed up early for Peacock.

6. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to provide an address of an apartment. (Note that you don't actually have to reside in that apartment.)

In terms of being "one day per week" it's expensive, but if you're a die-hard fan of a certain team, it's probably not a bad deal. Besides, you get other games and if you want to pay more, RedZone is fantastic.

The other option is RedZone from NFL Network which is a similar concept, but not the same broadcast.

7. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with Red Zone, which is available on most providers. But the crazy thing about DirecTV is that there's no official way to get just Red Zone. You either get it as part of Sunday Ticket or you don't get it at all. (You can sometimes get it alone unofficially as a loyalty deal from a CSR, but it's off the menu. Also, I get that DTV Sunday Ticket Red Zone is different than the Red Zone available to other providers, although it's the same concept.) Anyway I just brought up Sunday Ticket because the original poster was wrong about all NFL games being available with a regular cable package.

8. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    So, let me make sure I'm following this. If you pay for Peackock Premium and a game airs live on NBCSN then you can't watch that game live on Peacock?

9. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not. Where did you get the idea that you could? It’s the same as Gold previously.

10. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Looking like a ton of slots are going to Peacockhttps://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...hlighting-nbc-sports-premier-league-coverage/ and it's tough to even get a grasp on what game is going to end up on which platform. I have Rokus on the majority of my devices and rely heavily on catching up with DVR so this just sucks.

Would be glad to pay a big fee for a league pass scenario that carries all of the games, but NBC's parent company makes that a non-starter. Think what pisses me off the most is the quality of the product and the steps backwards we're taking while getting incrementally nickeled and dimed.

bostonsoccermdl and NorthBank repped this.
  11. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    On September 26-28, NBCSN will air 5 matches, and NBC will air West Bromwich vs Chelsea.

12. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    it's not really open. The rest will be on NBC/NBCSN.

So it's 46%/54%.

So in reality, you would need both in order to watch all games.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only thing I will criticize is that they should put different matches on Telemundo/Universo than the ones shown on NBCSN and NBC.

James Rodriguez and Raul Jimenez should be shown on the Spanish channels almost every week.
    Not teams that have no Latinos at all.
    The ratings would be much better because one is a popular Colombian and the other a Mexican. And there would be people happy to see some other options even if they do not understand the language

That is the great thing about the Champions League and Univision. They try to show as many games on their Networks as possible. Telemundo is missing an opportunity here.

bigtw64 repped this.
  14. Renzi

Renzi Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 4, 2019
    It's fair to make you pay, the issue isn't paying. The issue is the product is absolute trash or you actually can't watch the match you want. I get Peacock for free with my cable and I still watch EPL on IPTV streams which I pay for. It's literally that bad.

Why can we not login with our cable provider to stream NBCSN from peacock? Why is it impossible to simply set "soccer" as a favourite, so I can find literally the only thing I would ever watch on the app. How can a huge company in 2020 not manage to provide a stream that doesn't buffer constantly. Why does NBC think 30FPS is acceptable for sports? Why can I not do simple things like fast forward or rewind? Why is the PL channel buried with no guide, that's useless.

Seriously these clowns fall over themselves so hard to screw people and rip them off, they end up ruining a perfectly good product I would have been happy to pay for. I actually wasn't planning on subscribing to my IPTV stream this year, all of the games I want should be on NBC/Peacock, CBS (which is decent unlike BR and worth paying the 6 bucks for) or ESPN/ESPN+ (again, worth the 6 bucks). Nope, peacock literally doesn't even work, stream crashed out after 60 min of the Tottenham game. Fine, back to IPTV stream, I won't be watching anything on NBC/NBCSN/Peacock, and may as well cancel CBS now as well since I'm paying for the IPTV anyway and it has all of CL.

It's like they never learn. Music, then movies...its 2020 all of this stuff is free on the internet if you bother to look and make a bit of extra effort. Keep screwing people and they will find a different way, not because people are too cheap to pay but because you don't even offer then a decent broadcast of the game they want to watch. I'm begging for the day PL cuts these terrible broadcasters loose and just sets up its own streaming platform so we can watch the damn games!

15. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have any issue at all with the Tottenham stream on Peacock last Sunday. I was watching on AppleTV and not a single problem during the whole game.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting analogy. It fits with what I've thought for a few years now... that the whole streaming experience needs to be made much simpler, much less fragmented, much more functional, much more reliable, available much longer for rewatch, etc, etc, etc.

The providers might come back with "OK but we need to make money" and I would answer with "sure, but strike a balance... don't piss off a large chunk of your customers with your digital changes which often take too many steps backwards"

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Spotify makes money. I doubt Tidal makes money. Amazon it's hard to tell because their approach is sell everything. Apple used ot make money. I don't know if they pivoted fast enough from downloads to streaming, but they are still the main game for downloads. The companies can make money, I'm sure. ESPN wouldn't add all of these leagues if they weren't profiting. But most of these companies think people should pay for garbage. Fanatiz looks horrible, Sling's Connect streams are trash. And yet IPTV caps of those streams look perfect. At some point people will opt for other options who know that other options exist.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of taking this thread in a very non-NBC direction, and since you two (along with others before) have mentioned IPTV, I thought I'd ask a few questions about it:

1) How do you get/buy IPTV in USA?
    2) Is it 100% legit legally, i.e. with respect to content rights holders?
    3) Does it integrate somehow with ROKU?
    4) If you watch an EPL match on IPTV what production feed would it be... NBC's? Or raw Int'l feed from EPL? Or ??
    5) Does their player offer the basic functions you'd want such as FFD & RWD buttons?

Perhaps those questions are just the tip of the iceberg. Also, if there's another thread, either in BigSoccer or elsewhere, you want to refer me to, so that we don't "pollute" this NBC thread too much, feel free.

p.s. NBC if you're listening, this might be a little wake-up call that a guy (me) who has been a relatively loyal NBC Sports customer for decades and willing to pay for and go through the normal NBC apparatus to watch content, is now looking at an alternative like IPTV, largely because of deficiencies of your analog vs digital distribution services, not to mention the trend towards greedy, predatorial marketing behavior of providers like yourself.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Even more than money. It has to do with Comcast trying to take over some market share of the streaming business.

In addition to sending out free xfinity flex devices to people who have that ISP, they are also trying to license out their steaming operating systems to TV manufactuers so they have the Xfinity Flex platform built in.

It is all adding up.
    It is pretty ingenious if you think about it. Comcast wants people to stick with their cable company for tv and internet. And if they drop cable tv they want people to stick with their streaming devices or buy HDTVs with their platform built in.
    They win either way.

22. Renzi

Renzi Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 4, 2019
    1. IPTV is just internet tv. YouTube tv, Fubo all those are IpTV. So you can just buy those or you can essentially search for other iptv providers kind enough to provide a full cable or satellite subscription for a fraction of the cost. Iptv is also basically streamers, people who will pull up a game on their laptop and just stream.
    2. Some are, some aren’t. The best value is in the ones that are not, obviously. As a result, you usually need to use a vpn.
    3. Yes there are iptv apps for Roku and Apple TV. Fire stick is the best and recommended for most because you can side load basically anything.
    4. Depends on your provider. Fubo and YouTube tv will give you Us channels, other less legit providers will usually give you some sort of foreign satellite subscription with 500 channels. You can get us packages but I usually don’t, games aren’t on tv channels in the US. I use an Indian provider now, I guess their cable will have every game on a channel so for EPL where there are 4 games on at the same time you can choose anyone (if you have a us stream with NBCSN you will only be able to see what is on NBCSN, not the games on gold or peacock).
    5. Most yes. It’s basically a remote cable box, you will have a guide and can pause and rewind and ff and some will offer you dvr capacity to record. It’s really like a cable box it’s just on an app.

Its not super simple or straightforward and takes some legwork up front to find a good reliable provider, but in the end I find the stream is rock solid with good quality usually, and all these IPTV providers are basically for sports, so if you expect a game to be on it will be on. I know it’s not all above board but to be honest I refuse to allow Comcast to act as a monopoly, I’m going to watch the arsenal and I’m not going to be deprived of that because Comcast can’t get its act together and thinks we have no other options. I pay for ESPN+ still and tbh even though I don’t need CBS I don’t think I will cancel because I appreciate what they have done for the CL and Europa. It’s not about the money, it’s about the product and the manner in which I am treated as a customer. Comcast does a terrible job with the product and it’s clear they are trying to nickel and dime you for everything. The internet is much better today, bootleg streams are 1080i now, it’s not like 10 years ago where there were really no other options to whatever was on cable.

It’s entirely down to a company and it’s culture. It’s no surprise peacock (Comcast) and HBO (att) are the ones that can’t work with Amazon or Roku. Companies like this don’t actually try to please the consumer, they just try to bully them into paying through various monopoly tactics. CBS and Disney, while not perfect, seem to take an approach where pleasing the customer will, hopefully result in profits. ESPN just keeps adding leagues to ESPN+ without raising the price, so I look past the fact you need cable and ESPN+ subscription (annoying). But Comcast is doing the opposite, splitting up it’s one decent soccer asset across cable and subscription to weasel more money out of you, and then not even having a working subscription service. My only end to this rant would be to say VOTE. Vote for people to end complete monopolies like Comcast and ATT.

NorthBank repped this.
  23. Renzi

Renzi Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 4, 2019
    The thing is no one actually wants Comcast, people have it because they have no other option. The flex things is awful, and of course Comcast does not work with Alexa because Comcast wants to force you to use their crappy product (sound familiar?).

There is nothing ingenious about it, they are a monopoly in most markets they operate in and turn out crap products people hate but are forced to use (sound familiar again?). They pretend it’s a great product or that people love it, but that’s because they can’t come out and admit we half baked this product but you have to use it anyway.

Comcast and att want to be a platform like Apple or Amazon, but in reality these are huge lumbering companies that rely on their monopoly position and favorable monetary policy to keep going and expanding. Unlike Apple or Amazon, they do not have a clearly superior product and do not attract customers like Apple or Amazon, they essentially have a utility we all need and charge what they want for access.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I got my free flex device and it is not all that horrible. Sling TV looks pretty good on it. ESPN3 looks good on it for College football games. The music apps are nice. And the remote is the same as their cable box remote for a second tv.

But whether it sucks or not is irrelevant. To me it is ingenious that they are trying to save their customers from bolting & going to Roku or Fire. And I think sending out free devices and having TVs already built in with their streaming platform is a pretty cool idea.

Whether or not it works in the long run remains to be seen but I think it is pretty smart to play hardball.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... a cable company being "ingeneous", "smart"? Or maybe just desperate, defensive?

bostonsoccermdl repped this.