NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Found a link to download it for android tv after the first round of games this afternoon. Seemed to be about 3+ minutes behind the rest of the world as far as broadcast delay and was annoying to not be able to pause/stop the video.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that brother!

3. demonstimpy

demonstimpy Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    My LG TV announced the Peacock app was available.
    Installed it. Will test at 1pm with the Premier League.
    Been watching Sky News and the quality and reliability has been perfect so far.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Supposedly a free article, but you may have to set up an account.

Thx,

Jay!

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the various things we could complain about NBC's coverage of EPL on their streaming platform (and I don't know that this has anything to do with Peacock vs Gold, or it's just about decisions by their production team)...

I watched yesterday's ARS-LIV match hours late. And when I started it up, I was surprised to see that the coverage began like 15 seconds before KO.

So there was no lineups/formation graphics/discussion, no walking out to the pitch, etc. Just right into the match... bang. Kinda reminded me of when I'm late, driving to the pub to catch a big match, and I get there right around KO. Kind of an unsettling feeling. That for a streamed replay should really have to exist.

Couldn't NBC have just thrown 5-10 mins of the pre-KO coverage into the package? ESPN does that for it's FA/League Cup matches IIRC.

God I wish someone from NBC Sports followed this thread. Yeah right!

6. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I could care less about the pregame hypefest. When I used to watch tape delayed Serie A games on RAI via the then-PBS affiliate WNYE, they went straight to the game after the intro and lineups. That is probably the best way to go for me. No hype needed. Let the game do the talking.

Gyro62 repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree about hype-fest, but what you suggest as a good lead in, didn't happen with yesterday's match, and maybe not with any match replays that NBC streams? Literally 15-20 secs after the stream started they kicked off. At the bare minimum they should show the line-ups and formations, with a few words of context from the commentators.

8. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When the game is on NBC, they usually kick off like that and show the lineups at the bottom. I'm okay with that instead. I don't need to know anything more than I do know now especially in the digital age. Just show the match

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was much like the games on big NBC. But in this case they didn’t even have the line-up ticker at the start. I noticed it after HT though.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But even then, there's usually a pregame show on NBCSN, right?

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  11. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, the Peacock disputes are about shares of ad inventory/revenue (NBC believes Roku/Amazon want too much) while the HBO Max disputes are about Roku and Amazon wanting to continue the HBO Now practice of offering signups through the Roku Channel and Amazon Prime Channels with the device manufacturer getting a cut while AT&T wants to cut out the middleman and sell only directly through the HBO Max site.

12. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On my Roku TV, I searched for Peacock today and got the logo grayed out with a "Coming Soon" saying above it. Not sure if it has been like this before, or if a deal is pending!

13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I may have been one of the few people with AT&T Internet (12 MB, fastest available in Cleveland proper) and mobile phone service (prepaid) who didn't qualify.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching Crew-NYRB right now and I compared the clock on FS1 TV channel vs the FOX Sports app, and the latter was a full 1 minute behind the former. So perhaps this makes NBC's streaming lags slightly more palatable? ;)

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In March 2019, my U-Verse internet was upgraded from 50 Mbps to fiber 100 Mbps and the bill went from $30 to $40 via special offers. In August of that year, it went back down to $30 via another offer.

Maybe a month or two ago, it went to 1000 Mbps for about that same price.

Inflation aside, it's not that much different from when it was 6Mbps back in the late 90s to 1000 Mbps today. Yes, there's a reason why tv bills are so high, but internet is a fleece job.

For HBO Max via AT&T, typically the 1000 internet tier, highest TV tier, HBO subscription, or the highest phone tier should be make one eligible.

Call your retention department during regular work hours, be super polite but remind them that it's a competitive market and see what they can do. Put the "call them back" date as a calendar reminder so your bill doesn't jump.

Now, if only I had a game system to run it off....all I have is Roku and Chromecast.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it was even more ahead on Fox Deportes.

17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It’s really, really stupid for NBC to haggle with Roku and (less so) Amazon over their brand new streaming service.

Those are literally the two most popular streaming device makers and account for ~70% of the streaming device market (50% is Roku alone).

As a longtime Roku user, I’ve never really needed to worry about whether or not a “big” new app will be available immediately because those behind the apps realize it’s a no-brainer to get on the most popular platforms ASAP.

Comsidering how willingly new streaming services bend over backwards to offer cheap deals to subscribers, why in the world would NBC be like “Nah, we don’t need to make a deal with literally the most popular streamer. 40 million regular monthly users? Pfft!”

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They want people to use their Comcast streaming device.
    IT is not that complicated.

That said, they should eventually get a deal with Roku and Amazon. Just a matter of when it will all happen.

19. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Playing hardball with Roku and Amazon is still ill-advised, though.

There are 40 million active Roku users and another 40 million Fire users who have already adopted streaming while Comcast has bled TV customers for years and recently dropped below 20 million subscribers.

I'm sure they will make deals with Roku and Amazon, but until they do there are 10s of millions of people who already stream (i.e., the audience most likely to subscribe to and use Peacock) that don't have their preferred method of access (at the very least) to the app.

It seems like they're relying on the best-case scenario coming to fruition, which isn't a great way to start.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They probably have a bunch of Xfinity flex devices sitting in a warehouse and they want to get rid of them.

From what I have heard there are about 110 million Comcast Xfinity internet subscribers across the country give or take. That is a lot of potential people they can get hooked into their ecosystem and focus on their products during this initial Peacock app launch.

21. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention, 75% of the reason for Peacock is to protect their traditional business.

22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retention department wouldn't help. The AT&T infrastructure in Cleveland proper literally tops out at 12 MB and it's not a competitive market here. Spectrum is literally the only other company authorized to sell internet to individuals in Cleveland (Spectrum has significantly better speeds, but the really good speeds are exclusive to business-only providers like Windstream).

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    The biggest thing working against Comcast is itself.

Literally the worst customer experiences I’ve had were with Comcast. Like full days of my life dealing with their crap.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much concur. I once was trying to solve a tricky email delivery problem for my dad, and the tech Xfiniyty support person had no clue what the role of a Comcast smtp server is regarding outbound delivery... in fact I don't think they even really grokked how data travels over the Internet.

That's just one example, and I've had others. But this discussion has been more about corporate/marketing greed which they certainly have no monopoly on.

I'm having my own problems with my ISP of 22 years (Optimum/Cablevision/Altice) who decided to suddenly cut my long-time discounts, raising my rates significantly. And the best their Retention Dept can do is $10 loyalty credit for a measly 2 months?! I even talked to their C-level Corporate Executive Customer Service who were nice but useless.

Sorry to rant in this thread, but there's doubtful a thread for the lowly Optimum. ;)

25. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Xfinity stand for the ten infinites it takes to get a tech support issue solved?

(cue rimshot)

Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.