NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you can only get it if you're on Comcast, right? Is this that X1 or something else?

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think you can only get it if you have Comcast Xfinity internet.
    It is a new device.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the Bournemouth-Leicester match.

Right as the clock hits 36:48 into 36:50.
    Show Spoiler

"... straight to Jamie Vardy. What was that? How lucky for Bournemouth that Vardy fails to put it in.

Is the announcer synched up? It seems there was a bit of clairvoyance going on there.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for the rest of us, there should be other methods.

I'm in that same boat with HBO Max. I can get it via Chromecast, but it isn't yet on Roku.

The longer this goes, the more I'm tempted to get an Xbox, not so much as a game system, but as a streaming/Blu-Ray device. Of course, with the newer machines due out soon, I'm also waiting.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I expect in due time those other methods will be available.

But as of right now they want as many people with Comcast cable or Xfinity Internet to use their device as a priority I imagine. (Or people to switch to them.)
    That is a lot of people.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oohhhh, good point. Comcast isn't in my area, but I'd imagine people in those areas without it are part of why the company is delaying making deals with Roku, Apple, et al.

People like me might get hosed because Comcast wants to rent more X1s in their service areas.

All the more reason to hate a company that has been horrible since the days when CSN Philadelphia wasn't available on satellite providers.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corporate marketing greed tends to be a very very bad thing for customers. Nuff said.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s going to be open to other devices and non-Comcast customers on July 15. It will be on AppleTV but apparently not roku or amazon fire. (Which is ironic because their stream app is available on roku but not AppleTV).

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Premier League Live had an opening that showed each club's logo, and at least some of them moved, such as cannons firing for Arsenal.

11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Got an email from NBC Sports saying my Gold subscription won’t roll over because PL Pass is no more as of July 31 and that content will be on Peacock Premium.

Really hope Peacock doesn’t ruin my U.S. access to the PL. I was always able to use the Gold website and a VPN just fine, but the same method (and all others) never worked for ESPN+.

12. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    VPN working fine for me for ESPN+. Just wondering, are you using a dedicated IP address? That is what works for me...

SA

13. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I have no idea. At the time I had ExpressVPN, whose default setup worked with basically everything else, but for the life of me ESPN+ would not. I even fudged my GPS location in Chrome, but no dice. I just use the VPN through whatever device I’m using as opposed to applying custom settings it to the wifi modem itself.

It’s a moot point now since I don’t have ESPN+ or really need it. As far as ESPN goes, I’m just glad the ESPN Player allows me to watch college sports legally and on demand (i.e., not in the middle of the night). NFL Gamepass also came through in the clutch.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got that e-mail. Since I'm in New York, I don't have a possible problem of where I am. The only thing that matters to me is the price. $4.99 per month is $59.88 per year. For 2019-2020 I paid $59.99, and that was for the higher level that includes shows in addition to games. Even if I don't use anything else on Peacock Premium, a decrease of 11 cents is good when prices are much more likely to go up than to go down. For $9.99 per month you can get most things ad-free, but you can't skip halftime commercials to watch a second half that hasn't started. Ad-free would only be useful if I'm watching pregame or postgame coverage later (which may not be possible) or programs made by the Premier League if they have ads.

The adjustment I could have to deal with is moving to the Central time zone within a couple of years. I've spent 35 years living in one house without going away to college, and I don't like change. The Premier League games start the same amount of hours before games in the USA regardless of what time zone you're in, but moving west would make the first Saturday game start at 6:30 A.M. I like the Premier League start times in the Eastern time zone.

15. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    The good thing about Peacock for me is that I can test it out for one month to see how it works with my VPN. If I had to pay the full season price not knowing if Peacock would block me, I just wouldn’t even try.

It is a good deal, hypothetically: $60 for just PL Pass vs. $60 for all Peacock content inclusive of PLP.

Hopefully your impending move works out. I moved to the UK from California, but always liked having PL matches start between 4 a.m. and 12 p.m. on the weekend, especially in the fall when I could transition straight from soccer to football games. But, yeah, if you want to watch live rather than on DVR, those early kickoffs are...very early. Now I get to wait until like 8 p.m. for most midweek matches and have most American sports starting in the middle of the night.

16. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Couldn't you also pause it for the 2 or so months that the PL is not on for $10 more in savings?

I'm concerned that Peacock doesn't appear on my Android TV apps yet. Will probably be hunched over my laptop or having my usual issues whenever I try to "cast" anything to the TV.

17. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Any idea when peacock will be on Roku?

18. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the only option was to buy Premier League Pass on Gold annually, the better comparison is with the Peacock Premium annual plan, which is $50. So that's a $10 savings, not even taking into account any extra offerings on Peacock of which you may or may not avail yourself.

As a Comcast internet only customer (I have DirecTV for TV as well as Fubo and Fanatiz), I had misread the advance reports and thought I was getting Peacock Premium for free. I tried to link my Comcast account last night and was told I wasn't eligible for free Peacock Premium because I did not have an Xfinity Flex box, which is a free streaming box issued by Comcast. I'm not clear whether one gets Peacock Premium only when they use the Flex box or whether they just need to have the box on their account (which would be dumb, but I expect no less from comcast). Anyway, I ordered the Flex box, with no plans to actually use it.

19. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that they haven't (yet?) come to a deal with Roku or Amazon Fire.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Correct. It's the same situation (albeit most likely different terms) with HBO Max.

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one thing that needs to change. For NFL Sunday Ticket, the pregame show is simulcast on all different channels. I don't need to watch the pregame show on my local affiliate (surprisingly) and then switch.

For Peacock, the pregame show is only on one stream. The others have a "starting soon" screen. Why can't I select my match when I first tune in?

22. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So for any Comcast internet-only customers, all I had to do was order the Flex device and now I can link the Peacock account to my Comcast account and I have Peacock Premium. So dumb to have to order a device that will collect dust. The only negative is that if you want ad-free with a linked Comcast account, the only option is the $5 per month, rather than the $50 annual. So you're paying $60 per year for ad-free.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gheez. My AT&T internet speed gives me HBO Max included. All I had to do was link it online via my AT&T account.

Comcrap doesn't make it easy.

JayRockers! repped this.
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the games that are on streaming can only be offered with added crowd noise. Apparently it's too much for them to add another option via the Peacock or NBC Sports app.

Not that it matters much, as I have music in my ears anyway, but it'd be great if they could fix this for those who want natural audio.

25. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't completely smooth... people that have Max through both AT&T (in my case though the mobile plan) and DirecTV couldn't authenticate with their DirecTV credentials. You'd select DirecTV and by redirected to AT&T. Which wasn't a huge biggie. Anyway, they've since fixed it.