NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, TBF, they were facing Villa ;)

QPR Kevin H repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like that sentiment. Even though Leicester has been our closest rival lately for the league, I still want to see them stay up there, right up near the end, but not quite the very end! ;)

But sadly in the money driven world we live in, it's this that dictates...

3. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    My local DC NBC has dumped the WHU-MC Saturday game to somewhere else for the winter storm coverage which will probably have monster ratings. I expect other stations affected to do the same.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I wonder if NBC will run it in parallel on LiveExtra just in case. Nah, they won't do that because the storm is a geographically isolated thing. They'll probably just say "go watch it on your computer" if they say anything.

Using the big boy network channels like NBC & FOX has pluses in terms of customer reach, compared to the specialty sports channels. But there's a double-edged sword to this, which you have just discovered.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What a good OTA affiliate should do is put the EPL on their digital sub- channel .2 or ,3 or whatever.

But they probably won't.

annoyingracoon01 repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done NBC. YOu did the right thing. Since the main NBC network channels in the east are covering snowmaggedon, they decided to pre-empt the NBCSN programming and run the match there.

Edit: I guess West Ham - Man City >>> Davidson - Richmond. Phew. :D

8. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    In DC, NBC is still showing the game even though the listings say winter storm coverage. Good for me. It's bad outside but I guess the tv crews need a break since they have been on air since 5 this morning.

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good for the DC Affiliate.
    There's got to be some sort of counter-programming. There's only so much of snow-zilla coverage you can watch before saying man let's see something else to divert our attention.

And DC usually get's pretty good ratings for Premiere League so having a captive audience could break records haha.

10. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres only so much weather coverage you can repeat. Good job dc affiliate.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Who is your carrier? I never saw that listing.

12. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What would Comcast know about NBC programming?:x3:
    FWIW, I have Verizon and the guide never had a mention of special programming so I was looking forward to that this morning. Some morning programs were moved to a digital substation, but not soccer.

The local CBS had all of the college basketball on a digital substation.

14. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They were able to simulcast the Prem match on NBCSN because Davidson-Richmond was postponed. Otherwise they probably would have offered it on CNBC or local affiliate digital alts (e.g. 4.2 here in DC). Or just Live Extra.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoot, I should've figure that out. Since both schools were in the midst of snowmeggedon. So I guess that means the EPL doesn't quite rate higher than college hoops. :(

16. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Well, one airs on real NBC and the other doesn't. That should answer that right there.

17. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh it definitely does. But it would have been a d*ck move to preempt a live game they were contractually obliged to show just to make Prem watching a bit easier in some markets.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. So you're restoring some of my faith in the ratings power of the EPL then? Or is it just NBC's past discretionary decision to cede coverage of college hoops to CBS, ESPN, etc? Rather than a pure ratings comparison between EPL and D1hoops?

19. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The soccer that NBC has rights to much > than the college basketball NBC has rights to. NBC loves the Premier League, it's helped their all sports network greatly (though it's still not independently profitable).

20. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Yeah, the college basketball and football (ND aside) they have are complete crap.

Davidson-Richmond is straight filler. NHL, PL, and NASCAR are who they've built the network around.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    "NHL rivalry night" == 2 random hockey teams meeting on a Wednesday night. :laugh::rolleyes: Advertising can be cringe-worthy at times.

22. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #148 LaxBandit, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    All 15 matches of the CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying tournament will be streamed LIVE on NBC Sports LIVE Extra, in addition to up to four matches airing on NBCSN. The eight-team tournament takes place from February 10-21 in Houston and Frisco, Texas, with the top two teams advancing to the 2016 Rio Olympics.

The all-important semifinal featuring the United States - assuming the heavily favored United States, who are three-time defending Olympic gold medalists, make the semifinal - will be aired LIVE on NBCSN on February 19 - either at 5:30 pm ET or 8:30 pm ET. The tournament’s two semifinal winners will advance to this summer’s Olympics on NBC.

NBCSN will also air the United States’ final group-stage match against Puerto Rico on February 15 - LIVE at 8:30 pm ET. The United States’ group-stage match against Mexico on February 13 will be aired on delay at 9:30 pm ET and the tournament final on February 21 will air on delay at 11:00 pm ET.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/01...@NBCSportsSoccer&utm_tags=srm[article,soccer]

23. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #149 LaxBandit, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper -
    NBC Universo will televise four CONCACAF Olympics Women’s Qualifiers - USWNT vs Mexico - both semifinals - final. As such, it’s confirmed (pending some surprise move on the English side) that the USWNT Olympic Qualifier vs Costa Rica won’t be on TV. Address complaints to CONCACAF for not finalizing dates of the qualifying tournament until last August, well after the NHL schedule was set.

sitruc repped this.
  24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if it's an online exclusive, NBC has the capacity for a live channel/stream of FanZone. (Is that still even a thing??)

I wonder why it was never on NBC's radar? Just not that popular? It would probably bring in more DVR viewers than some of their AM hunting/fishing shows. Then again, those outdoor shows have more commercials.

One of the "MLS on FSC" guys told me that some of the language used by the fan commentators was a bit salty, so that was part of the reason for the delayed and edited broadcast, but that's minor business.

Come on, NBC. Make it happen. (If it's even still a thing.)