NBC Sports Networks thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Aug 8, 2015.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just dropped Xfinity for Hulu Tv, but have both for a few more days. Testing the Arsenal/Wolves game right now and Hulu is 48 seconds behind cable.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The older apps will eventually be sunset in lieu of DTC apps. Why have Showtime Anytime when you can have Paramount+ with more content for a similar price? Why have HBO Now when you can have Max? Etc etc.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what DTC is but if it can bring the streams close to actual live action timeframe, I’m all for it!

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Direct-to-Consumer. Think stuff like Paramount+, Peacock, the RSN apps that cost $20/mo or so, Netflix, Max...stuff that can be bought without a provider.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. I knew about Direct to Consumer (DTC) but I figured you were referencing some kind of new streaming tech feature instead. Wishful thinking!

p.s. So what did you mean by "older apps" that aren't DTC?

6. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume he means the "TV Everywhere" apps that require Pay TV package authentication.

For example you can still get Showtime through a Pay TV provider, but you only get the live channels/ability to record through your provider's box and/or app. On-Demand requires a Paramount + with Showtime subscription.

Shen-O and Kryptonite repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That.

I didn't think Showtime on Demand required a Paramount+ subscription. Last I looked, my provider still had Showtime on Demand channels, which I assume were part of the Showtime TV subscription.

Paramount+ does give me maybe 2-3 linear channels of Showtime via the Paramount+ app, not that I ever use them because it's all available any time I want it. I assume part of that is because Showtime's live events...which I thought were ending.

Shen-O and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  8. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably worded my prior post poorly. What I meant is that subscribing through a provider only allows access via your provider's box and/or app. Streaming on a Showtime-owned app can only be done on Paramount +.

Kryptonite repped this.
  9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2509 Kryptonite, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    So there's no more Showtime app, which makes sense. It's probably easier to consolidate everything into one app...which stinks for traditional/older customers who would rather pay their provider.

I know the Cinemax app disappeared. Then again, the subscription is really "Max" these days. If someone wants *just* Cinemax, it's possible, but I believe the "Max" subscription is the same price.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #2510 BocaFan, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    Not sure if mentioned in another thread, but a new TV deal has been agreed between the EPL, Sky Sports and TNT Sports. Premier League signs $8.45bn TV deal as controversial season continues to excite (msn.com)

Don't know if it will impact anything on this side of the Pond, but the main difference is that all 2pm BT/9:00a ET Sunday kickoffs will be televised in the UK starting with the 2025/26 season (I think currently only one match is). The 3p BT/10a ET Saturday kickoffs will still be blacked out.

Match of the Day remains, thankfully (though I worry its days may be numbered with so many live matches on TV).

As an aside, I gotta say I am not a huge fan of the TNT coverage. I would rate the quality of NBC's coverage higher. The two Robbies are easily better than the anchors on TNT, imho. Premier League coverage has come a long way in the US - never thought I'd be saying the quality of pre-match/halftime/post-match analysis surpasses what exists in the UK.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC has US Premier League rights through the 27-28 season. The UK TNT is its own thing, just a brand extension when WBD bought BT Sport. The US TNT national team coverage shouldn't have any bearing on what they do over there.

Shen-O and bselig repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about the UK-based TNT coverage/desk? If so, which personnel are they using? OTOH if you're talking about TNT's coverage of USSoccer that team is fairly weak.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Luton-Arsenal on Peacock right now and am reminded about the only thing I think I prefer about Peacock coverage over terrestrial NBC/USA coverage... the amount of time they give to studio analysis/highlights is so much more because they don't need to cram in as many commercials. Long may that last!

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    OTOH, the "fox box" showing the Arsenal score in the upper right corner of the Wolves-Burnley match on USA is ahead of the actual Luton x Arsenal match on Peacock. :laugh:

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! And isn't that what we've (I've) been talking about for so many years now? How the streaming platforms are so far behind live, so far behind the terrestrial TV feed? I know that's technically possible if they just give it the priority and investment it deserves.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, I was talking about the UK-based TNT coverage. They use mostly ex-players. Like Owen Hargraeves, Paul Scholes, etc. Its still decent but not as good as NBC imo (also a notch below Sky Sports). But I guess its just their first season covering EPL.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholes? Isn't he a tad introverted on TV? Maybe he's "grown up" more than I realized... or maybe he's one of the reasons you said what you said?

BocaFan repped this.
  18. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Does anyone have issues streaming live sports on Peacock using Roku Ultra? It is regularly unwatchable for me for NFL and big PL games. Other devices run fine. Normally have to use peacock app on my samsung tv like today. All other apps run fine on my roku for big volume events. I assume this must be a peacock issue.

19. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I don't know if it's because I rewound it to play from the beginning but the commentary on Aston Villa-Man City seems to be about 5-10 seconds behind the action. Anyone notice that watching it live?

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. On both my Rokus. More problems on Peacock for sure but I also watch it more. Paramount is solid, most reliable streamer for me.

21. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I see that Peacock isn't putting up a replay of Bournemouth-Luton, in which a player collapsed on the field in the 60th minute and the match was suspended. I don't need to see the player collapse (they could stop the replay just before that happens) but I would like to watch the match prior to that moment since presumably it will count and be resumed at a later date.

22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would bet that they replay it from the start, especially with the abandonment being due to a player going into cardiac arrest who obviously won't be able to take the field whenever they play again.

23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can they call the match complete and award points since it's past halftime?

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe the Premiere League rules allow them to do just about anything no matter when a game is abandoned.

The rules according to the FA, Law 7, only say:

"An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise."

AlbertCamus and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without giving any possible scorelines away, how could they restart the game? Wouldn't it be unfair to anyone who may possibly have scored? You'd have to erase all possible stats from the record books.

Score here (open)
    The score was 1-1.