NBC Olympic soccer channel??

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by spottedeagle, Jul 28, 2008.

1. spottedeagle

spottedeagle New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NBC is setting up a special channel for coverage of olympic soccer... problem is, I dont know what channel this is, or where to find it on my lineup!
    Does anyone know if comcast is carrying it, and what channel it is on for someone who lives in Portland, OR

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Apparently Comcast is carrying it.

I've sent an email to Time Warner asking if they are carrying it. No response yet (they said a response could take up to 48 business hours).

3. DEAC

DEAC New Member

May 25, 2004
    Cincinnati
    How about DirecTV

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    what about dishnetwork ?

5. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I understand ALL of the Olympic soccer matches will be shown live on 1 of the 7 NBC-Universal channels. The special Soccer Channel will be in addition to the live coverage. Even if you don't get the special channel from your provider you should still be able to see every match through the regular NBCU outlets.

6. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Directv has on their site, that all olympic games will be on chanels 752-756, i am guessing they are adding those channels especially when the games begin.
    Telemundo, which is available everywhere, will be showing matches live, everytime there are scheduled.
    aug 7,
    Honduras - Italy 5am EST
    Argentina - Ivory Coast 7am EST

nbcolympics.com
    has more info

7. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From information I just gathered it looks like Dish Network is planning on carrying the soccer & basketball channels on 395 & 396. I'm sure the channel numbers can change before they're activated, but the plan is to carry both.

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It's going to be on Verizon FIOS somewhere in the 900s, I believe.

9. buzzhunter13

buzzhunter13 New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Where did you see this? I've been looking all over to see if DirecTV would carry it, and even their customer service said they were not aware of it. I was actually going to buy the Spanish Tier for a month just to get the Telemundo games. Sad.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    http://www.tvpredictions.com/olympic073008.htm

"Cox and Time Warner have announced that they will carry two special High-Definition channels for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in select markets.

The two NBC channels will offer specific high-def coverage of soccer and basketball. "

11. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    When you go to the main page on Directv.com, there'sa commercial, on it , its written, channels 252-256 Olympic games aug 7 - 24.

As for Telemundo, actually its Galavision, you can get that channel for free, at least in NY and NJ u can, on Directv Galavision s channel 404.
    If you go on tvguide.com, and go to aug 7 , 5 am, u will see it listed,
    Honduras - Italy, 5am EST.

But the Spanish pakage is good for ESPN Deportes, champions League is starting in september.

12. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Dish Network, the NBC Soccer HD(and non HD) channel is 99 and 396

woohoo!

13. spottedeagle

spottedeagle New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    When you scroll down through your TV list, what does the Olympic soccer channel show up as so I can look through my comcast one... What are the abreviations or whatever that showup next to the channel number?

14. buzzhunter_13

buzzhunter_13 New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Further "news" (if you want to call it that). Some dude in this thread over at dbstalk says he saw an ad about NBCOSC being available on DirecTV. I'll believe it when I see the ad myself, but here's the post: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1709201&postcount=8

Also, the more I think about it, the less likely I think Telemundo would just "hand over" valuable olympic coverage to another station (Galavision) regardless of other programming agreements they have. I really think if we don't get NBCOSC I'm going to have to get the Spanish package for a month to see the Telemundo games. I've still got hope for the NBCOSC though.

15. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Anyone know if Cablevision will carry the special channels?

16. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look like it:
    http://www.newsday.com/services/new...sports/ny-spoly025786679aug02,0,7084624.story

And it looks like Comcast will only be offering the two sports channels in certain areas:

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=472152

17. vintrino

vintrino New Member

Mar 11, 2008
    all games should be on anyways between msnbc and oxygen

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Verizon FIoS guide has added channels 896 and 897 to their online guide as "Olympics Basketball & Soccer"

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^^^ And naturally I got no response from the asswipes at Time Warner!

36 hours from the first match and I'm still not sure whether I'll get the Olympic Channel or not. :rolleyes:

20. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time Warner customer service is bad. All I've gotten from them have been:

"Thank you for your inquiry. At this time, we have no information about adding this channel to our line up. If you need any assistance please send me an email. Thank you again for the customer service inquiry."

So we'll see but I'm not holding my breath. They're too cheap to do anything in the interest of their customers.

21. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA

22. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    folks, I dont think there's need to panic.
    Italy - Honduras = Telemundo 5am EST
    USA - Japan = NBC 5am EST
    Argentina - Ivory Coast Telemundo 745am EST

plus USA , OXygen and MSNBC and UNiversal are all showing matches, basically all the matches will be on live in different channels.
    ALso, at nbcolympics.com , you can watch the matches live online, basically whatever is not on tv, is online, which is actually better since most of us dont have 10 tvs in one room at our homes.
    The bad scheduling will be a problem !

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    No panic over here, but it would be nice to get the matches in HD and english rather than the ghastly telemundo feed (although that might depend on the english commentators). And, especially for people like me who have no interest to see the US team, that schedule still excludes an intriguing match: Netherlands v Nigeria.

24. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BUT WAIT!!

On my guide, Italy-Honduras is not coming up on my local Telemundo...only on the national one... while both Telemundo channels are showing the ARG-IVC/COT game

AHHHHH hopefully it gets figured out soon...

25. buzzhunter_13

buzzhunter_13 New Member

Aug 1, 2008
    I could not find this press release myself (either Googling or searching DirecTV's website) so I'm not 100% sure, but this thread at dbstalk indicates that DirecTV WILL in fact be carrying the NBCOSC. If true... WOO HOO! :D

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=135115

EDIT: CRAP! Just read it again and it looks like you have to have HD to get it. Another money suck! Grr!