Natural grass againts DC United??????

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    It does not make any sense to my to turn back to the old turf if the Giants/Jets are far from starting their pre-season. In addition, there will be some international games coming up in the summer. I'm assuming that we will be playing on natural grass until the NFL's preseason starts.

2. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    It does not make any sense to me to turn back to the old turf if the Giants/Jets are far from starting their pre-season. In addition, there will be some international games coming up in the summer. I'm assuming that we will be playing on natural grass until the NFL's preseason starts or I'm just living in another planet? Is this too much to ask?

3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    It's back to the plastic. Our way of saying "welcome" to DCU. They shouldn't kick about it; they creamed us on the stuff last season.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought RB said that all home games would be played on grass.

5. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I could have sworn I heard an announcement at the opener that they were donating that field to some youth soccer club.

That's nice and all but wouldn't we rather have it for us first? Perhaps they were able to write it off as a donation this way, who knows. It's just a shame to have 8 year olds playing on a better surface than our professionals do.

6. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think playing on the turf now is too bad. Once it starts getting real hot out however, then we'll need to throw down some sod. The turf heats up like a mofo.

7. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    This are the things that make our league or team look like shhhhiiiiittttttt in front of the international media. We have a great opportunity to play a lots of game on natural grass, but the Red Bull decided to donate this grass to a youth team. This is a joke. I had a hard time explaining my kids the name change. A few weeks ago I told my two kids that we were playing on natural grass again until late summer. Now, I have to go back to my kids and explain this isnt going to happen. So, thanks Red Bull for lying to my kids. This is ridiculous. I'm dying to oppening day at Harrison.

8. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but how did Red Bull lie to your kids again?

9. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lying to kids..... hmmm.... tooth fairy, santa, easter bunny....... hmmmmmm :p ;)

10. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Red Bull say that there was going to be natural grass until late summer?

11. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Not, i meant to say, that I assumed we were going to keep playing on natural grass and in a way, I did lie to them cause I said so. Now, since my predictiong was wrong, I will keep my mouth shut for the future.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    They told his kids that their dad had good reading comprehension.

The grass was for the opener was to be donated following the game. RB did not say, either way that there will or will not be grass for the next game.

The former GM was quoted as saying field turf was not acceptable for the opener.

13. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with ya. I was just saying that if a grass field is the worst thing u lie to your kids about, then i wouldn't worry. :rolleyes:

14. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Maybe Red Bull is using the FieldTurf for endorsements.

"This potentially career-ending knee injury is brought to you by Red Bull. We don't need no steenking natural grass!"

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a Google search, apparently they never promised anything beyond the first game. Interesting.

Wonder why they paid $100,000 to lay down grass and then not keep it for a bit, unless the NJSEA said they couldn't.

16. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats this stuff about Santa Claus? What happened to him?

17. FIFARay007

FIFARay007 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    CT
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the other thing to consider, how long does sod last? I know they had put it down last year for the Gold Cup, and by the end of the games (2 weeks i think) it was pretty crappy.

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Donating could allow them to write off the hundred grand if that's what it costs.

Still, why not use it a couple times before donating it? Can't figure that one out.

19. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    never made sense to put it down for the first game only......

i doubt anybody came to the opener because they put grass down....

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Because after this weekend's game, what youth club would want the grass that has been soiled on it by DC?

21. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Lalas was the only one who "promised" that there would be grass at every match (actually he said he would be fighting for it, but that there would be times when the Field Turf would be there). Apparently Alexi was the only one in the RBNY front office who cared about grass, so he bogarted it all and took it with him to L.A.

Grass for everyone, every day!

22. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait... how does "We'll see what happens" mean "I promise there will be grass?"

23. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas took his grass to LA with him. All we have is the bong water swamp.

24. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Lalas was the only only who seriously complained about grass because he was a MLS player and played in both natural/artifitial turf. It makes total sense to me.