Future Ex-Utd Players - The Mason Greenwood thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 18yrs old...

2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Something similar was done with Theo Walcott if I remember correctly. The emphasis should be on the Euro tournament and bringing the strongest squad. Mason will have enough opportunity to be developed properly if the fa doesn't mess it up

3. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup too young when his country is not missing talent in that area.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and J'can repped this.
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Ronaldo when Brazil took him to the WC at 16 and did not play a single minute. It did not jeopardize them then. With the attacking depth and option England have right now, there may be a scenario where he could be taken from my point of view.
    If Kane or Abraham are injured for instance and can not go, then that could be another matter as the team will be short one top striker and will have to compensate with a more experienced player. The top 2 spots in that position are a lock with Kane and Abraham. If both are good to go, the #3 spot is almost inconsequential and that player will not see lots of time anyhow (if any).
    Vardy is retired from intl duty and will not be an option: after that we're talking about the likes of Ings, Calvert-Lewin or Wilson. Greenwood is surely a possible option at the very least for me, especially when we add his versatility.
    But as stated, taking him would be about the experience, which wouldn't hurt a promising kid like him. Being exposed to that level and train for the duration of the tournament with the best players in the country could be springboard for his upcoming season with United.

5. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What about Raheem Sterling?

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Greenwood is not Ronaldo, never did Owen or Walcott any good long term.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There is also Ings who is scoring goals.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raheem Sterling, like Rashford is a wide forward and I don't believe that Southgate would count him as one of his 3 strikers.

9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Greenwood seems to have a knack for getting goals off the bench right now.

That could prove very important at a tournament like the Euros.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If he is still doing the business and fit at the end of the season then he has an outside chance with a manager like Southgate (and with a team with an injury history like England). Especially given his has a proper left-foot so can play RWF too.

Have always felt if you have a multi-functional player or two elsewhere to cover, then worth loading up with extra depth forward in international competitions.

11. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    No need to rush. England's formation requires only 1 CF. Kane and Abraham are the go to guys. Ings is decent back up. Not sure on Wilson but I think Greenwood has done more than him this season, but let's see how he ends the season. Rashford can play up top if required. There is literally no need for him to be rushed to the Euros. I don't see the benefit even for him from a united POV. Maybe for England he would be excited and have a "Rad experience" to tell his fellow A level friends about.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Madness to even consider Mason. He's not among England's best 10 attackers so why would you take him? He doesn't deserve a place as a 9. Kane, Abraham and Vardy are all streets ahead of him. When it comes to the players who supply the 9s Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Hudson-Oddoi, Mount and Madison are all much better.

Right now, he's an inside forward who needs movement around him and a supply line. I can't imagine it makes more sense to take him than any of the players I listed above. Leave him away from the spotlight, let him learn to play the game.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 Ashur, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Greenwood, as mentioned, is no lock but he definitely is deserving of consideration, given his form so far. Vardy is retired from intl duty and is not an option. Hudson-Odoi, who I rate highly, is having a difficult season so far and is not ahead of Greenwood in my pecking order at this time. Mount and Maddison are not really in competition with Greenwood due to the fact they play in different positions.
    The pool right now in terms of CF and wingers/wide forwards looks something like the following: Kane, Abraham, Ings, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Greenwood, Wilson and Hudson-Odoi.
    The guy is almost at double digits already in goals scored, playing very limited minutes. And his knack to score off the bench is an asset that can make him useful at intl level. For those reasons alone, it would stand to reason for Southgate to potentially think about him. When it's all said and done however, him going is not about claiming an important place in the squad and/or logging in heavy minutes. Just being part of the group and being exposed to a major intl tournament are what it would be about for him.
    Don't see the need to shield him from that, when he's pretty much shown the ability to handle pretty much everything thrown his way.
    Even if it's just as an outsider, it's really not that crazy think he might have a shot to make it, Particularly if he continues in this vein of form and ends up with 12-15 goals in all comps for United by season's end.

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I agree mostly.

But if Callum Odoi Hudson deserves to go so does Mason. Mason has:

1. Played more minutes
    2. Scored more goals (most of his goals came when he was playing wide as well)

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You make a good point, but if you look deeper, it doesn't stand up. I love Mase. I think he's hugely talented... but nobody who has watched him play this season with the first team would say he's contributed meaningfully outside of goals. Goals are important, yes, but England don't have a particularly creative pair of CMs and their chance creation is going to come mainly from the wings. In that regard, CHO >> Mase. CHO may not have played much this season, but he's definitely further along in his development as a pro. If I had to choose one of them to start a single game as a winger when I have a really good goal scoring 9 and another really good creator/scorer on the opposite wing, I'd go for CHO over Mase right now.

benni... repped this.
  16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're talking about players who can come off the bench and impact a game. Notably with goals, a very important currency for that.

Not many who can claim to do that better in the England setup from the right...on current form at least.

May is a long way off still, but he's definitely one they should be watching to fill that role.

Sterling is a certain to start.

Kane, Rash, Mount, Madison all play very different positions (and have very different attributes).

It's really between him, Hudson-Odoi and Sancho.

Yes, Sancho is streets ahead. Agreed. But not so with Hudson-Odoi.

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with everyone besides Hudson-Odoi being more deserving. Id take Greenwood over him because its harder to find a pure finisher like Greenwood than it is to find a creative spark. But neither should be involved in the Euros. They arent deserving yet and arent ready.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    England are only going to play 3 maybe 4 attackers. If Kane is fit he starts, if Sterling is fit he starts. If you want a goal off the bench, Tammy and Vardy are MUCH MUCH better options than Mason. I'd argue that as hot as Rashford is, his best position is also Sterling's best position and Sancho should be the RW/10. Rashford could very well be the impact wide player.

I'm not arguing that Mason isn't better than CHO (although, if we are being honest, the jury is still out, they are both kids). The argument I'm making is that if you are trying to fill the role of CF, England have Kane, Vardy and Rashford who would all be better than Mason. If you want a winger, to provide service, Mason hasn't shown at all an ability to create from out wide. Sancho is the obvious candidate for RW and following him, it would probably be Sterling on the right w/ Rashford on the left. But past that, CHO is actually a winger. Mason is not. England will be looking to get goals from LF & CF and 10. Mason isn't a top 3 option any of those positions and CHO, whilst not at Mason's standard as a goalscorer, is a much better winger. Anyone who is denying that hasn't seen him play.

I should also qualify that I don't think CHO necessarily should be getting (m)any minutes at the Euro, but if say Kane is injured (streaky history) and you get another injury to one of the wide forwards, you can insert Sancho wherever across the line bar 9 and then use CHO as your impact wide player whilst still keeping a 9 in reserve like Vardy or Tammy.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  19. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    I don’t think Mason should go either, but as Ashur has said multiple time Vardy retired.

benni... and JamesA repped this.
  20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kane, Abraham and vardy are all ahead of Mason. I don't think Mason shouldn't go.

21. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Kane isn't available I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate has a conversation with Vardy to coerce him into one last tournament. Especially after experiencing such a resurgence this season for Leicester. I'd tend to agree with what everyone has said above, and with Greenwood being on about the same level as CHO. Let's revisit this conversation again in April and see where everyone is at.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #97 Ashur, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Hats off to Mase, even if it was via Pk (they all count the same).

15 goals in all comps is really not out of reach for Gunwood this term (would be a remarkable achievement in his maiden season with the first team). Just needs to get some more regular opportunities from Ole, which he ought to get now.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    That incighte guy got Mase goal count right..

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1225687549084987393 is not a valid tweet id

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015