Future Ex-Utd Players - The Mason Greenwood thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 19, 2019.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Controversial take here. Yes, but Rashford was the better player. I believe that eventually Greenwood will overtake Marcus, but Mason requires more help from others and more opportunities to make an impact. Rashford, regardless of his profligacy, could generate something out of nothing quite regularly, even from the start.

Put it this way, if you had to choose between them and you were in a relegation battle, you'd have gone w/ 18/19 yo Rashford over Greenwood. Only a portion of that is down to opportunity, the rest is down to the type of ability that Rashford has.

Really excited to see Mason get more playing time. I hope Ole can find some space for him to play as the lone striker and also as part of a duo. Shunting him out wide isn't the best thing for his development.

2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Controversial but interesting. I wouldn't say better, but more immediately useful.

I'll start this up by saying I'm typically hard on Rash but that's partly because his flaws are infuriatingly simple, and hold him back from being genuinely great. Also it may be a reaction to that utter clown who used to regularly smear his shit on these walls.

Ability to generate something from nothing is only a measure of who is a better player in specific circumstances, rather than across the board. We were just dominated by a team who don't really have any difference makers, and they don't have to ask themselves who they'd want in a relegation scrap.

You can also argue that Greenwood has demonstrated that he can generate something from nothing when in the box, as his two footedness, agility and finishing means he can score when 90% of players (such as Rash) get shown one way or easily read.

And finally, it's not even handed to simultaneously ignore a player's ability to generate nothing from something.

MizzouMUFC, johno and Anonymous_United repped this.
  3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Sorry have to correct you here , wasnt this the case under Mou that Rash needed to play as 9 but was being deployed on wings.

Mason has a making of fox in a box, the equalising goal against sheffield supports it. im pretty sure if Danial james was crossing for equalising goal Rash would be lingering some where in penalty box instead of running between CBs like mason did.

Its really hard to judge when Mason hasnt played much but Rash had an amazing start.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    given he hasn't played that much his start is amazing too.

look at the supporting cast when Rashford started versus when Greenwood did. he's already scored in three different competitions.

the goals have been winners or vital

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Was trying to make the following point badly :)

Comparing their breakthrough months, Mason (who does his best work in the box so is more #9) is often having to play RWF as that is what is available.

Under LVG Rash (who does his best work outside the box so is more LWF) got his chance initially as a #9 as that was what was available (owing to injuries and LVG deciding Martial was a winger after trying him @9 iirc).

Anonymous_United repped this.
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    @Sofabloke I think Mason should get chance at 9 when Martial gets injured, Mason is definitely 9 but Martial hold up play is excellent something Mason still has to master as 9.

7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Fair enough but if you want to judge who started better IMO Rashford is obvious winner. EL away (?), Brace against arsenal, Machester Derby winner, debut goal with England but once again Mason sample is limited but its impressive aswell.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be no hurry at this time to necessarily play Greenwood centrally as a sole 9. As stated, we have a good option for that role: he can be an alternative for sure but he obviously seems to be doing fine right now in a support role or deployed on the flank.
    Just looking at the top hybrid 9s in recent memory (TH14, RvP, Mbappe among others) have started and spent significant time out wide before eventually being moved in a more central position. There is every reason to believe that Greenwood's turn will come as well in time (and presumably once he develops physically).
    As far as any comparison with Rashford, I find it moot personally given the fact that while both are forwards, they're pretty different based on what we've seen so far, in terms of how they approach and play the game. Greenwood appears to be better from a technical point of view and works very well in tight spaces, whereas Rashford is at his best with tons of space ahead of him to run at the opposition.
    In the end, just like Rash and Martial, both players are very different of one another, yet each one's strengths and qualities make them very complimentary of one another at the same time.

9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I respect this opinion, but Rashford when he broke through was damn good. Way more effective. His goal scoring record was stupid.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh:
    1206679056441380866 is not a valid tweet id

The similarities between the 2 are almost freaky though...

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    there is much to like about Greenwood. his finishing of course but i love that he scores even with defenders between him and goal.

doesn't seem to bother him like it would a lot of other strikers. this is huge for us until we get better at breaking down bunkers

johno and Sofabloke repped this.
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/24/mason-greenwood-manchester-united

Still think that at this stage, Pogba's return to our team and midfield is more crucial, in terms of genuinely getting the team on track for the remainder of the season.
    That being said, Greenwood has a big role to play, based on his recent form. Understand that Ole's desire to protect him but he's clearly ready and needs to see more minutes (particularly wide right if, as expected, nothing will happen there in January).
    James has been a solid addition to our team but by and large, in games where we're going to dominate possession and have to break teams down, I'd clearly rather see us go with Greenwood. We don't necessarily be over reliant on him just yet, but the link up possibilities with Martial and Rashford are potentially mouthwatering.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I want him more involved in the game and I want to see penetrative runs from him, but my GOD if this kid doesn't scream potential. Just about every technical skill you could want from a young attacker is in his locker along with confidence.

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    incredibly happy for him. that's 9 or 10 this season now.

for years Gomes was touted as the crown jewel but it's clear now that it's Mason Greenwood.

as an aside, this year again we have the three forwards more or less in double digits. not enough overall but definitely a positive and something to build on

jnielsen repped this.
  20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City

Was he?

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeha, him and Chong were probably the highest rated.

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    How do we rate Mason as an 18 year old versus the likes of Ronnie/Messi when they were 18? Different positions of course but Mason is making immediate impacts on games even when he disappears.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Mason simply delivers in the currency of the game: goals.

right now he doesn't affect the game otherwise and that's fine by me

jeff070 and jnielsen repped this.
  24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't usually care for this man has to say but he makes an interesting point about Greenwood and the upcoming Euros. England is very deep in attack right now, but it may not be unreasonable to think there might be room for him at the back end of the squad.
    Not sure what major youth tournaments will take place this year (he'd be expected to take part there surely). Short of that, I'd at least consider him to be a part of the group. Particularly if he keeps this up: wouldn't even expect him to play much but the experience alone would be priceless for him.

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No, too young.

jnielsen repped this.