Future Ex-Utd Players - The Mason Greenwood thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Innocent until proven guilty is one of the biggest misconceptions that the public has. It is a reference to legal process, and ensures that you cannot just lock somebody up without justifiable cause and evidence to support it.

However, it 100% does not, never has been and should not be, a universal obligation of the public, employers etc in situations outside of the courtroom. It’s a complete misunderstanding of what the presumption of innocence.

This is a re-arrest on further charges so the interrogation timer starts again, rather than just being an extension of the original arrest.

This means that over the course of their original investigation, they have uncovered new evidence pointing to additional suspected offences.

jnielsen, thenamestsam and jeff070 repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people are real adept at leading a double life or hiding their true selves in public. Not a fair statement imo to say that people weren't aware, if it so happened they had no idea about what might have gone on with him behind closed doors.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed - it is completely annoying. It just means the burden of proof is on the prosecution. But they are certainly saying the accused is guilty, and the public are entitled to form their own views and risk analysis!

OK - i understood from this they got another 24 hours from the magistrates, but as you say, that might be a new timer.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...reenwood-further-arrested-over-sexual-assault

thenamestsam repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I read somewhere else that they are able to hold him an additional 24 hours because they are investigating a separate crime which was apparently him threatening to kill her in some sort of audio/video.

5. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As closely as these guys are in each other's lives, I just find it hard to believe this caught everyone unaware.

Even if you don't see or hear anyone directly, you still get a feeling for people. Just know something is off.

I'm wondering if those initial people who immediately unfollowed him are ones that harbored suspicions or had anecdotal evidence that this didn't surprise them.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  6. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    That was part of the audio of the instagram post. I heard the audio and saw the pictures. They are segregating the two. The pictures under assault and audio under attempted murder?

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible that some might have known some things, just as it is very likely that Greenwood, in the locker room or on the training pitch was quiet as a mouse and kept to himself (especially being one of the younger guys in the squad).
    In a team sports environment, just because you spend long periods of time with someone, doesn't you necessarily are close or even just know everyone on your team.
    Who knows how Greenwood was socially involved with his teammates? But in the end, there are more than enough examples of people managed to hide their true selves from people they shared time and close quarters with. How many times have we heard from a neighbor, or co-worker how shocked they were to find out about a person when something horrible about them comes to light?
    End of the day, unless there had been known issues previously that had been exposed in some way, we can't 'blame' his teammates for not knowing what he's about outside of team settings...

jnielsen repped this.
  8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No idea. I could totally be wrong but thats what I saw somewhere. Could just be a technicality the police are using to hold him longer for questioning without charging him.

jeff070 repped this.
  9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just told me that they didn't want to sound negligent in saying something rather than truly being unaware.

10. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    For the bolded part I do not care about that, there's zero need to say no offense because I honestly do not care about name calling on that level on a message board, once you don't hurl the N-Word at me you and anyone on here can throw all the insults in you want.

I've been an NFL fan since '92 (49ers) so I know about the Ray Rice situation and the video was disturbing.

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

12. Billyboy229

Billyboy229 Member

Bolton
    Wales
    Dec 29, 2019
    Ray Rice was not found not guilty by a slick lawyer. She married him a few weeks later and did not want to press charges. The let him off lightly with a deal he was to take supervised counseling. However, He never played football again even after winning an appeal to be re-instated. Think they are still happily married. Think greenwood is done I am afraid.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

There have been plenty of NFL players involved in domestic disputes. Most of them stayed in the league. Do you know why Ray Rice was treated different?

Because the world saw video of him knocking his girlfriend out. Something like that stays with you. It will be the same case for Greenwood. If we had nothing but his girlfriend making a Twitter statement that he has been physical with her, this unfortunately would be a minor story. But when you get visuals and hear audio, everything changes. He’s done. Unless it comes out that all of that stuff was fake/doctored, which I highly doubt to be the case, his career is over.

doubletrouble repped this.
  14. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole thing has me a bit ********ed still. I can't imagine how his teammates must feel. Obviously as a fan we are all on the outside looking in, but it feels as though he was living a secret life with an entirely different persona. Usually there is something that comes up that leads to a story like this. Absolutely nothing in this case.

The boy had the world at his feet. I just don't get it.

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Apparently Raith Rovers just signed accused rapist David Goodwillie, and got a bunch of backlash for it. He was accused in a civil lawsuit and charges were never filed. So regardless of what happens criminally for Mason, it's pretty clear he's done.

I also wanted to comment on this for the obvious jokes. David Not-Goodwillie. Maybe change his name to David Badwillie, or David Rapewillie. It's all there.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    David Nowillie if some sections of the crowd get ahold of him. :ROFLMAO:

Chaz Striker repped this.
  18. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It seems to me she put up with this behavior for too long. And she did it right. She recorded him. She took photos. She knew what to do when it happened again. I think she should have gone to the police first instead of posting it on the internet, but maybe she had her reasons.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jnielsen and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hope that applies to fans abroad as well.

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it does. Good...
    [​IMG]

jnielsen repped this.
  22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you were wondering why so much singing about Mason from both sets of fans at the Leeds game …

Anonymous_United, benni... and CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any updates on him? Quick Google didn't show anything much newer than a month ago.

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wouldnt expect to hear anything for a while.

One thing I'm unsure of is...in England can charges on something like this be dropped/settled by the victim or can the prosecutor push on without the victim pressing charges?

In the States you routinely see shit like this swept under the rug because rather than a draw out legal battle with a celebrity, the victim takes a payoff and charges get dropped. I'm hoping that doesnt happen here. He needs to be held responsible.

But...if something like that were to happen and he settles with charges dropped, it would be very interesting to see what the club would do. Everyone would know he's guilty but without criminal charges, would they take him back or cut him?

I honestly have no idea.

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica