Nations League: Italy vs Poland (& Ukraine Friendly)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Except when it comes to scoring in Italy?

Or is it as easy?
    I'm not sure what your opinion is?

:)

calabrese8 repped this.
  2. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All it takes is a few of these chances to make it in and confidence will skyrocket, just keep in mind that historically we are not a high scoring team. The front 3 are a pacey bunch but i agree with Pauly, we just need an effective #9. Balo will continue to be hit or miss and he's never been consistent, Cutrone is very young but he knows where to position himself and he can finish consistently. Berardi has been ok this season, Belotti i feel bad for and hopefully it's just a slump that he'll get over.

3. Italy08

Italy08 Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look at our tall players that we had. They were excelllent in Free Kicks and Corners.

These players madea big difference because of their height and confidence. They were very precise.
    They are not only tall. They are tall, physical, strong, and tactical.

Materazzi
    Toni
    Grosso.

We also had Gilardino, De Rossi and others.

Rosay repped this.
  4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Nor does a side need a traditional #9 to net goals. FFS look at Mertens. He plays in a similar system; isn't a world beater; and has managed to produce great returns these last couple years.

The issue I see is that we don't have a traditional #9 that can be relied upon; nor can we rely on any of our guys who can play a false 9 to produce consistently.

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree with this comment, but wonder which of the front three we ultimately drop for a Cutrone or Belotti in the future. Crazy as it sounds, Insigne may have to be the player sacrificed in that scenario. He's probably the least versatile of the three, and most effective in a more central position. But at the same time, I wonder (especially when it comes to Chiesa) if just keeping this false 9 setup will result in the front three becoming more clinical at scoring goals with more playing time together. The chemistry that Berna, Chiesa, and Insigne showed these last two games might be tough for Mancini to break up.

Berardi is someone who Mancini can probably draft in that front three without losing any of the attributes we saw these past few days. He can play on both sides of the wing and more centrally. He's a good option if one of the three other guys is out injured, but like Chiesa, he's not a particularly clinical goal scorer. In that department, Cutrone seems like the best option long term. But again, I wonder if Mancini will go there in the immediate future, when the false 9 setup has led to such sparkling play. I think he might just stick with this formation, and see if these guys can develop that knack for goals over time. It's interesting to see how things develop.

But one last thing...Barella...wow.

Rosay, Calcio Pauly, cipro and 2 others repped this.
  6. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Barella has it all. It was the midfield 3 that dictated our play not the the false 9 system.
    You can take out Insigne for Cutrone/Balotelli and it will play just as fluid.
    But if neither of them are starting or scoring for their clubs why sacrifice Insigne who is?

It’s a good problem to have, Bernardeschi Insigne Chiesa will all play, there are plenty of games. Even with a proper 9 a combination of the 3 should see plenty of minutes this is not a problem.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never thought it was an "easy league".

8. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I would love to see this false 9 formation start against Portugal. I truly believe with a bit more playing time, they can hash out the minor flaws and continue to 'gel' together. Its been so long since we've stuck with the same group of players and just let them continue to learn together.

9. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    “Oh shit player x missed a pass he sucks. Did you see if he gave up the ball once we should never play him again omg”

Some of you are retarded

Rosay repped this.
  10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    “Oh shit Insigne is short omg we should never play him despite him being on fire in the league and CL. What did he do this game besides hit the cross bar? We need better players”

11. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    i'm one of the bigger Insigne non believers and i actually thought that was one of his best games in an azzurri uniform since his U21 days.

12. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mancini followed Carletto and made him play up top.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  13. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm assuming your talking about TottiFan slamming Veratti. He's had an irrational hatred for him for a long time. Anyone that watches without bias can tell that Verratti played incredible yesterday. The same goes for Jorginho (who some posters also dislike). Perhaps they both needed to play together, and have someone of Barella's quality joining them before we saw an effective midfield (and maybe Pellegrini of Roma can be part of that equation in the future as well).

I do think too many posters like or dislike certain players over what is good for the team. For me, the shirt is more important than any one player. That's why I never get the point of commenters whining about Balotelli all the time (as if he's some huge upgrade over Immobile or Belotti), or the fact that Giovinco did not play during these fixtures. Who cares.

Rosay, Calcio Pauly and calabrese8 repped this.
  14. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I don't like Balotelli in this system. In large part we worked well as a unit because the front three moved around, worked hard, pressed, and didn't dwell on the ball. Those characteristics are the opposite of Balotelli's traits. I think Mancini sticks with the front three until and unless Belotti and Cutrone start playing well. I don't see who the other candidate would be at the moment.

phat, calabrese8 and Nek Sanalet repped this.
  15. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s more of a general critique I’ve always had of the Italian national team board in general. A player can be rather consistent for club but once he wears the blue shirt, he is put under a microscope and literally every single action is scrutinized endlessly. And suddenly a guy misses two passes and he SUCKS. Which adds to my assumption that a lot of people on this thread only watch soccer when Italy plays

16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #216 Calcio Pauly, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    He needs to nip the bug he has for the national team. I think I've counted 4 posts for him in 5 games in plays he absolutely needs to bag a goal in.

So you also have your ratings for the level of difficulty of league(s), I see.

Not crazy at all IMO. After watching the last few games, he'd be the one I drop too.

:thumbsup:

I agree. The system produced the chances yesterday, and I think a Mertens would have buried a few.

17. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #217 phat, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    It's cause Lasagna is our #9. :thumbsup:

At some point I would have to imagine Mancini will go with Cutrone or Pellegri if they continue to perform.

I think we've seen the beginning of a team with real talent shaping up.

Ps: who the fck is Cristiano Biraghi? :ROFLMAO:

calabrese8 and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Keveen and Br-eye-yan to the rescue.

Biraghi is our newest hero, for now :)

Rosay, calabrese8 and phat repped this.
  19. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

LoL

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you forgot to mention that he is a provincial

21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Verratti's performances since I started on him (8 years ago) have more than vindicated the comments I have made over the journey. You yourself partly conceded the point in the past by admitting he is overrated. He played a couple of good passes yesterday but he also nearly cost us a couple of goals. "Incredible" is a massive stretch.

But, I don't dislike him as much as I used to, and it's not as if Italy has a wealth of options of passing midfielders to choose from atm. I'll keep an eye on him and if he lifts his game I'll man up and admit the error of my ways, unlike the maniac who made the provincial comment.

22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #222 Calcio Pauly, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Your first comment on Verratti was 5 years ago :geek::laugh: ::

o_O
    Wouldn't you get more traction if you were reporting on some Verratti-PSG match fixing rumors, possibly?

phat repped this.
  23. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    :thumbsup:

Bobo Vieri ..Class bomber. Him , Toni and to some degree Pelle were the last of a dying breed. The prototype strong tall CF go to man who was tough to knock off the ball and just needed the quick opportunity on the finish. Strong in the air on the headers ( especially Bobo and Toni ) who were nightmares for defenders :eek:...They could strike the ball with power with minimal prep time and also in minimal to no stride ( Vieri especially ). Miss those days ....

Also miss the days of the trequartista behind one CF to one side with the other CF just slightly in front of the other CF on the opposite side

Hope those days come back again

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #224 falvo, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Ratings? Sure .....

....Rated G , PG13, R .....

I always loved the WWF’s, XFL...:thumbsup:

25. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @Rac93 when's the last time Germany won a game?

Rosay, Calcio Pauly and Pietro Calcio repped this.