Nations League Italia vs Portugal and U.S. Friendly

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Plus not only is Icardi capped to Argentina but he hasn't been good for Argentina. Not sure why people would think he'd put on an Italy shirt and be good.

We lack attacking options.......and I have no idea who is going to fill this void.

2. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Sad but true. We have Immobile, Lasagna and Zaza getting called up. That says everything.

3. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Those were friendlies.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think they make up and change the rules as they go along. For as long as I remember, friendlies counted as full FIFA 'A ' international matches.

Maybe not for Icardi, but sooner or later, I'm sure we will see the rule will be changed yet again.

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe so. I mean they almost didn't score with him either against Poland. But only a blind man can tell me Berna doesn't make the squad better. He can at least dribble past guys, create his own shot, and make the smart pass (when he's not being selfish). You have to give yourself the best chance to win in these games. I think Berardi was that option with Berna out.

I mean even though most of us would say Belotti's having a bad season, he still has double the goals of Lasagna. I'm not sure if Belotti changes anything in his current form, but the percentage is still higher than the flatline Lasagna brings.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think this was ever the case.

Anyway, it was a mistake to cap him at all since he was never that good. I want players on the team that are loyal to the azzurri shirt and not mercenaries

Pietro Calcio and calabrese8 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #82 falvo, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Maybe I'm confused with the qualifiers but I could have sworn some players couldn't switch. I also remember if you played for the youth team of one country, you couldn't pick to play on a senior team of another nation later on. At least that is the way it was until the late 90's, then they changed things. These FIFA rules are crazy but sooner or later, with all the foreigners starting on domestic clubs, the rules will change yet again. I'm sure of it.

There are only to choices. It's either place a limit on the foreign players starting or pick more. One of the two.

8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bernadeschi still doesn't solve the problem of getting balls past defenders and scoring. It would just be more of the same.

If I were Mancini I would abandon this system ASAP

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our forwards are crap.

10. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And go to what system. Mancini picked this system because we have zero good strikers. It’s the only thing that seems to be working for us at the moment. With today’s game Mancini should of subbed out our midfield much earlier. They looked gassed around the 65th min.

Immobile was most likely the choice because Berna is injured. Immobile is basically di Natale, can’t score for shit.

When do we say fck it and call up kean and Cutrone? We have to at least try them out. Maybe throw El Shaarawy out there and see what he does.

11. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ancelotti is the first manager since Zeman who understands that Insigne is better as a #11 then playing wide as winger. Mancini should play him similarly. He and Chiesa are way too deep for my liking.

12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anything really. The possession game is eye pleasing but its not yielding any results.

13. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I would take an in shape Belotti everyday of the week...

calabrese8 repped this.
  14. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hmm, Im not so sure on this one, Berna has been dangerous for the azzurri. Would have been nice to see some of his longer range shots on net. Aside from maybe Insigne and Chiesa, Berna is the only other player who isnt afraid to take a few shots....

15. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Italy wanted to win this game today, they needed Fabio Quagliarella. Yeah, he's 35, so what...the man just scores goals. It's a shame he hasn't played for Italy since 2010.

16. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    guys we tied the reigning European champs. we are better then where we were a few months ago. give it time and the goals will come

gumbacicc and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We need a #9 that buries his chances. Keep looking Mancini, there's one coming.

18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I do believe that Signore @Falc owns the trademark on that one too. Be careful, he doesn't take prisoners.

Pietro Calcio, Rosay and Falc repped this.
  19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan

I suggest a good book for you; "A brief moment in time!" By Stephen Hawking. If you're half as smart as you think you are, you'll make a deep connection.

Pietro Calcio and calabrese8 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Giorgione dove sei?

21. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I'm not going to get down on a team that absolutely squashed the Euro Champs back into their own end for a majority of the game. Portugal was able to play catenaccio because Immobile missed those chances.

I said before the game I was worried about him. His brick feet cost us again. I think Mancini is on the right track but he's got to get Belotti and Cutrone in there.

Calcio Pauly, Rosay and calabrese8 repped this.
  22. joe83

joe83 Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #97 joe83, Nov 17, 2018
    Wow, really? Abandon the system? Man, I havent seen Italy have this much posession in YEARS. Im a barcelona fan and loved the Gaurdiola days with the Tiki Taka style. It worked well for Spain. Its nice to see a team dominate a game, pkay beautiful football and win convincingly. There were times today the players looked like they were reading each others minds with those passes. It was beautiful. Of course some tinkering is needed and a decent #9 and we are well on our way...

23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Portugal did a Sweden and played for a draw and they still nearly won the game. Italy struggled to provide decent scoring chances yet again. The main problem with this team is in midfield. Italy are useless at breaking down tight defences. And Politano should have played in place of Chiesa.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #99 falvo, Nov 17, 2018
    Le pagelle di Italia-Portogallo 0-0: Verratti incanta, male ... - Eurosport

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never fails. The Portuguese inferiority complex is alive and well.

Must suck knowing that your once in a lifetime talent is almost done and if you couldn’t win a World Cup with him... you know u won’t do shit playing boring snooze fest football without him.