Nations League A, Camp 2, Canada/Cuba, Nov. 15/19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Dander, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's do it then. I gotta leave now and won't be back till the kickoff time, can u take care of that matchday thread?

2. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Looks like one of those POW Hostage Video's.

bsky22 and Sebsasour repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And risk an eternity of infamy and damnation? Not I.

Edit: Maybe @Sebsasour or @Peretz48 has us covered.

4. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, neither Weston nor Dest are overage.

I'm not sure either Morris or Yedlin in would be considered an impact overage player.

Which is kind of my point.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is such a perfect typo, because it is absolutely correct with either spelling...:p

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    um_chili repped this.
  7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i would worry about making the olympics with makeshift reality before i started positing maximized rosters of everyone under 23 -- including the ones we have nominally "graduated" -- and overage who can't qualify. that would be a wasted exercise since, what, 2008?

by my count we have 8 foreign based players on the current u23 roster alone, do we have their teams' commitments for an april 2020 release during everyone's seasons? if we really wanted to make it we would be laser focused on players of assured release.

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley gave up 2 points by his inability to trap a simple headed lofted ball. If he controls that ball and pass to multiple open options who were all calling for the ball the match is over.

If time is running out, having a couple of players press the throw in and then the player with the ball is standard practice in the modern game That strategy forces the attacking team to launch a long ball which the defense usually wins 75% of the time.

We pressed; they launched; we won the header at midfield which was lofted to a wide open MB90. Everything went according to the percentages; game should be over.

9. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris is certainly better than any of the current U23 strikers.

There's plenty of depth at RB that Yedlin wouldn't be needed.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Keep in mind clubs are not forced to release players for the Olympics, so Weah, Puli, Dest, McKennie and Steffen would be unlikely to be there.

Winoman repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Olympics don't place during the Euro club season.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1313 juvechelsea, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Not meaning to beat a dead horse but I am curious how Stewart, as a practical matter, can act like a second Canada loss wouldn't matter. I've already raised a variation on this argument, but if we lose to Canada that's 2-5 this year against teams that would currently be in the Hex, with Jamaica GC semi and Costa Rica's camp cupcake unit being the only wins. 5 losses would be more than last time. 6 points with 3 games left, which in a theoretical hex would be CR away -- routine loss -- and then 2 games home and away with Honduras. 4 points last time. Total: 10 points, and that's being generous about Jamaica away (both games we split were home) or our CR home game (which was camp cupcake level sides).

I mean, this isn't just an abstract game, it's a likely hex opponent. So is Mexico. So is Jamaica, potentially. You cannot blow off many of these opponents as, well, don't have to beat them, before you won't make Qatar.

I think I argued the other day in a general way that you'd have to have a 2026 timeframe to survive this, but I think this analysis underlines where the proverbial "path to the nomination" with Berhalter simply does not exist. If the games next year simply played out just like this year -- not an unfair test -- we wouldn't make it. Rarely does the diverse schedule of a NT hand you this kind of fore-knowledge.** I don't understand ignoring it.

**There is a reading of the leadup to the 2016 games where every time we played anyone any good we got our clocks cleaned. That the absence of upsets hints at something. This rings true at the moment just the same.

Look at the teams currently in the hex positions. Who are we going to feast on? If you look around the table and can't figure out who the chump is, it's probably you.

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago House could just find a way to base qualifying for the WC directly on FIFA rank. I'm sure there are those ready for the sort of rational persuasion Chicago is famous for.
    Winning! eh?

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wouldn't make any difference. The clubs have the power to say "no" since the Rio Olympics and have used that power, even if it's just to keep the players around for pre-season games.

Just look at the squads for the non-Euro teams in Rio: Neymar managed to be there by not going to the Centenario (for which FIFA forced release) as a special deal, but otherwise, the teams from Asia, Africa and South America were missing plenty of their best young players, some supposedly injured, some not even that.

Argentina, for example, only got one of their youngsters from Europe released. Same with Colombia.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was just on a run and passed the time by putting together my ideal lineup for tonight's match based on who's available. I can't say the thought experiment made me at all excited to watch; this is going to be a slog.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    FWIW, Honduras and Costa Rica are topping their groups with plenty of MLSers (and even a USL guy, in Honduras), and Canada is going to field a bunch of them too, so it's not like this is a tournament full of Champions League players.

Fielding lots of 'em pesky MLSers is no excuse. If Egg loses, it's on Egg, and he should be fried.

18. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Agreed. I have made my thoughts about our shallow pool known (e.g. I don’t really think selection is a big problem as other players are at best marginal improvement) but he should be able to get two wins with the level of talent he has against these two sides. It’s inexcusable to lose to Canada twice in a row and he should be out immediately if that were to occur.

I believed in Stewart but if we lose one of these and he doesn’t fire Berhalter it’s unreal.

19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Zardes and Ream start? USA Fans can’t catch a break at the moment.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Never been a fan of Ream, but he's, right now, our best player in the Championship.

21. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Double down on the "regista". Morales is so tough, bring the toughness, oh wait.

FIRE FIRE FIRE

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tactics+selection have been a huge problem. Sarachan got better results.

The pool has always been shallow.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Best US players in the C'ship: Geoff Cameron, Duane Holmes, Antonee Robinson, Eric Lichaj, and Matt Miazga..

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Berhalter to Chicago, you heard it here first.

Girt and dlokteff repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Ream is posting a paltry 6.68 WS rating at 32 years old and is not a natural fullback.

Antonee Robinson is posting a 6.95 and is 22.

Matt Miazga is posting a 7.05 and is 24.

Neither of the latter 2 are even on the team, while Ream is starting out of position at one that Robinson is natural at while being on the decline instead of the uptick.

UncagedGorilla and DHC1 repped this.