Nations League A, Camp 1, Cuba/Canada, Oct. 11/15

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, Jul 23, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's still about 5 days earlier than the last 3 coaches, who waited until the last possible day. Berhalter is only delaying until the midweek game before the int'l break, if even that. That's been a trend, and something we used to call for, so we should be content with that.

This camp feels like it's arrived pretty quickly after the last one.

NietzscheIsDead, dlokteff and wixson7 repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Per Goff. 9,000 tix sold so far for Cuba game in DC in 2 weeks.

yikes..

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There must be a lot of us waiting on Dest to confirm his presence. Hope you're working overtime to make that happen. :thumbsup:

wixson7 repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Thoughts and prayers, people...thoughts and prayers :)

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it in the DC soccer stadium? If so it won't be too bad if they get a few more as it gets closer and walkup. If it's in the Redskins stadium it will look really bad.

6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is at Audi Field. They probably figured there weren't enough Cuban fan to fill up Fed-Ex Field. I feel like a lot of usmnt fans did not return after the missed WC and the debacle that followed with the coaching situation so you can't rely on them either.

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If none of the Lions are called in, I'll definitely go check it out (especially if Serge is in).

VBCity72 repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Was Serge ever out?

[​IMG]

Eighteen Alpha, Dander, wixson7 and 2 others repped this.
  9. Dander

Dander Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Apr 3, 2017
    Does anyone really not expect to see Bradley, Lovitz, Baird, and Zardes? I wish the roster would drop so the wailing and gnashing of teeth could begin. We could have a USL roster and beat Cuba, however, Canada might just be rough for our Gold Cup all-stars. I'd be so happy to see some experimentation with Cappis, Gall, or Sabbi. Could they underwhelm as much as our recent selections? Sure would be nice to find a revelation before the hex. Heck, I'd settle for a few that are just a little better than what we've been watching. Additionally, if any of them are good enough, they need to learn "the system.":D

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Berhalter does a complete swap of players between games (he won't bring in an all new experimental side with little to no practice) I hope to see maybe three new players added. Would actually love to see the U23's play against Cuba. If at least three new players are added every time the team gets together eventually all the placeholders will be gone.

NietzscheIsDead and Patrick167 repped this.
  11. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Would certainly not be shocked to see Trapp get called in as well. Is he still riding the pine in Columbus?

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    They got over 17K for the friendly versus Jamaica in June. This is the price for playing terribly. You are going back to those fans, after Berhalter played an experimental (more disposable) 3-4-3 with a midfield of Trapp, Roldan, Yueill and Djorde that got manhandled by a USL Jamaica side. 1-0 flattered the USA.

You can't charge people $120/ticket, then use the game as solely a training session for your fringe players, lose badly to a bad team, then come back 5 months later and expect those people to show again. They feel used and defrauded.

Not to mention in the meantime, you had the 3-0 Mexico disaster on national TV.

Gregg has lost the fanbase. Attendance has been poor for years, but a new low in enthusiasm has been hit.

gunnerfan7 and Excellency repped this.
  13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    i don't disagree.. would just throw 2 points out there. Prices for the past 2 years have been beyond reasonable. Outside of the 2 premium games (mex/braz) prices have been $28-35.... $120 is for maybe the super premium seats. This is not a ticket price issue.

Second, friendlies have been drawing ~15k for 10 years. This isn't a Gregg Berhalter thing.

My 2 cents.

But agree that Nations League is super unknown. This game will end up in the ~15k range and that's pretty standard...unfortunately.

NietzscheIsDead and Pegasus repped this.
  14. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR

I don't think there's any reason to weep or gnash. Berhalter has been pretty liberal with his opportunities guys are getting called in all over the map. Not only that, but he has shown a willingness to reward players for significant advancement (Dest, Pomykal, Weah, etc.).

I wouldn't expect to see an experimental squad against Cuba. Fans need to go ahead and get that out of their heads. Berhalter is all about getting guys up to speed. Cuba will feature guys who haven't had many minutes, but who have been called in. I think that there will be a couple of newbies as well, but they will not define the squad. That squad will be prepping for Canada.

We may see new guys, but they will likely be full professionals. I am expecting a couple of guys like the following: Keaton Parks, Emmanuel Sabbi, Christian Cappis, etc. and maybe a longshot like Ulysses Llanez who is exploding in his youth league for opportunities or Richie Ledezma who is on a run of good form in his youth league. I don't think its realistic to expect Llanez or Ledezma to get senior team minutes with the Nats until they break through into their club teams.

15. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    My updated shot at this:

Forwards: Altidore, Sabbi, Morris, Arriola, Sargent
    Midfielders: Holmes, Bradley, Morales, Parks, McKennie, Llanez, Pomykal
    Defenders Cannon, Ream, Lima, Hollingshead, Zimmerman, Robinson, Miazga
    Keepers: Steffen, Johnson

v. Cuba
    ----------------------------Sargent-------------------
    Morris-----------------------------------------Sabbi
    ------------------------Pomykal----------------------
    --------------Morales------------Parks------------
    Hollingshead--------------------------------Lima
    ---------------------Ream-----Robinson----------
    -------------------------Johnson----------------------

v. Canada
    ----------------------------Altidore-------------------
    Morris-----------------------------------------Arriola
    ------------------------McKennie----------------------
    --------------Holmes------------Bradley----------
    Ream-----------------------------------------Cannon
    ---------------Miazga-----Zimmmerman-------
    -------------------------Steffen----------------------

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I basically like you lineup but no Pulisic? Also unless less one of the Robinson's stops being called up don't confuse me by not putting a first name or initial. For a second I was thinking of the left back Robinson at CB and thinking WTF? That second bunch is more experienced but pretty blah. Still a bunch injured that would help - Adams, Weah and others on the brink - Gloster, Ledezma, Reyna, Richards, Mendez....

I don't know how many he's allowed to call up but I'd bring in at least three that haven't been there befre to look at them and start getting them acclimated. If they show well then maybe at least be on the bench for the Haiti game.

17. ebado

ebado Member

May 2, 2008
    I know this isn't the point but I don't expect to see Baird. It's possible but I feel he was in the last camp due to who was unavailable rather than forcing his in.

18. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yeah, Pulisic off to work on getting in the lineup at Chelsea.

The fact is, this group is generally young and have yet to really put together an inspiring performance, much less a run of them.

I didn’t realize that Morales has been injured, so I replace Morales with Julian Green.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, I think it should be seriously concerning for GM Ernie Stewart or whatever his latest title is - sporting director, I think.

They're even taking pot shots over on MLS site. They seem to think we are an unremarkable team and I can't say I disagree.

Doldrums.:thumbsdown:

Patrick167 repped this.
  20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say screw Chelsea as he went back early from the last set of friendlies and they didn't play him. This will be his chance to get playing time and clear his head. It might make him better when he gets back to Chelsea. Or not but since they aren't playing him who cares?

TxEx and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Well, the MLS site should probably be taking pot shots at themselves for that problem.

wixson7 repped this.
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your oppnents for the Canada game

GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
    GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers

CB- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    CB- Amer Didić | CAN / FC Edmonton
    CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    CB- Steven Vitória | POR / Moreirense FC

FB- Samuel Adekugbe | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball
    FB- Juan Córdova | CHI / CD Huachipato
    FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
    FB- Kamal Miller | USA / Orlando City SC

M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
    M- Stephen Eustáquio | MEX / Cruz Azul FC
    M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
    M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Los Angeles FC
    M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
    M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
    F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
    F- Alphonso Davies | GER / FC Bayern München
    F- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
    F- Liam Millar | SCO / Kilmarnock FC

The 2 most probable formations

-‐‐----------------------Cavallini
    -----Davies‐-----------------------------Hoilett
    -----------------------------David

------------------Arfield------------Piette

Adekugbe----------------------------------------Laryea
    --------------------Cornelius-----Vitoria

--------------------------------Borjan

Patrick167, Eleven Bravo and Winoman repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Klinsmann thinks the League of Nations is a complete waste of time.
    And he's probably right. Nothing we can do about it, though.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...nited-states-and-mexico-back-jurgen-klinsmann

"It's a waste of time, I'm telling you," Klinsmann said of the new competition. "It's a waste of time because you that need [that competition] as a country. I mean talking about Mexico, everyone is hoping for the fifth game in the World Cup. You're not reaching that fifth game in the World Cup if you play the teams you are playing now in the Nations League in CONCACAF. You are not.

"Because you need to play Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Holland and England. That is your competition. And when you have an opening for a national team window and you can maybe make one or two friendly games, you need to play Argentina or Germany and not a CONCACAF team.

"So within that system that was created here, it's almost impossible for United States or Mexico to get better. And that is why Mexico just lost against Argentina 4-0."

NietzscheIsDead and Winoman repped this.
  24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and UEFA changed their NL for next edition to groups of 4, so that's even less friendlies games then before. And with no Copa 2020 for USA, it also means all you get is pretty much concacaf focus between now and WC. with a few friendlies.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear, Canada is to the US, what Wales is to England. I can only imagine if we could pluck away David and Davies from Canada. It’s too bad that Canada produces some truly elite players (i.e. Hargreaves, De Guzman, De Rosario, etc) but has absolutely no depth to put them into that next level category’s