Nations League 2023: Drama!

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Sep 19, 2023.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I kind of resent having to care about this tournament, and realize at the same time that I am one of the people who complained about Olympics qualification relying on World Cup results, so, here we go!

The biggest drama at the moment is in the group with Sweden, because of course it is. As of this writing (morning of Tuesday 19 September), Sweden is scheduled to play Spain on Friday 22 Sept. in what was to have been (might still be?) a marquee match. Yesterday the new coach of Spain named a troupe that included many of the World Cup team except Hermoso "for her own protection", then the news this morning is that apparently the players themselves (who, we all remember, are boycotting) weren't asked about that, and that's when I snapped and started this thread. :confused:

Protect Hermoso from what, exactly? I mean, if she had requested to be left out, I would totally understand that, but it seems that she didn't.

And really – not even ask the players – "who, we all remember, are boycotting", except apparently for this new coach.

This is completely nuts. Bets, anyone, as to what will actually happen Friday night?

Weltmann, blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  2. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #2 jocasta, Sep 19, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    I suppose it was only obvious, but I see that Hermoso herself also asks, exactly, "Protect me from what, and from whom?" And this story confirms that the new coach did not ask her. Other stories report that some Spanish players who've been named are seeking legal advice about what could happen to them if they refuse to play.

This interview with Marika Domanski-Lyfors answers that question in part – if they are called and refuse to play, they can be banned for two to 15 years. Domanski-Lyfors seems quite surprised at this. She's sympathetic with the Spanish players but extremely cautious in this interview r.e. what's the best course, and seems to think that the gaem should be played no matter what. The end of the article asks whether fans will get their money back if the game doesn't happen (it's sold out), and she refuses to answer, saying only that we'll address that if it happens (cautious, which in this case is surely best).

Team Sweden can do nothing really except put its collective head down and continue to prepare for a match against the world champions. "If there's anything we're good at it's focussing," says The Electrical Rubensson, while continuing to express sympathy with former (?? stay tuned) members of Team Spain

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Since this is the rivalry forum, as much as I can sympathize with Spanish players, I'll point out that their strike is probably the only way for Italy to somehow hope to avoid being relegated to Nations' League B next year. :coffee:

4. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    So....Montse Tome is just a plant of the spanish federation?

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    there’s also some dissension within the Swiss between coach Inka Grings & some of her players(so not sure, but AMC, Bachman & Walti might not be playing vs Italy this coming Friday).
    While maybe bad news that the flagship club, Juve got eliminated early on in the Champions League, it could actually help those players concentrate more on national team performance(well guess same thing with the Swedes as their flagship club, Arsenal(LOL)got eliminated too!

don’t get this National League system; where do you finish in the group to be demoted to B status?

and another question; if Spain can’t play these upcoming games, do they forfeit via 3-0 loss scoring line?

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just been announced that the Spanish players agreed to end their boycott. There be missing their monster athletic player though(Salma Paralleulo) do to injury

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    4th in any A group demoted to B.
    3rd in any A group have to play a 2nd placed team from a B grupp about the A spot.

8. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    My goodness, it seems there is indeed plenty of drama on the group – thanks for the info! And yeah, I suppose it is remotely possible that some people who want Sweden/Italy/Switzerland in the Olympics might secretly have been hoping that Spain would send its 4th team... but that possibility is very remote, and I'm sure that thoughts like that would never have crossed the minds of us decent folks... you know... down here in the Rivalry forum...

kolabear, blissett and JanBalk repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My target, as the very decent folk that I surely am (Hrrm... cough, cough... :coffee:) is much more humble than having Italy at the Olympics: it's just avoiding slipping down to Nations' League B. :cautious:

Anyway, looks like the Spanish players reached some kind of agreement with their federation, so no-one can still nurture those heinous thoughts (not that anyone here was doing that! :whistling:).

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #10 jocasta, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    Dagens Nyheter reported late yesterday the Team Spain has actually arrived in Göteborg, so perhaps there really will be a match tonight. In the radio news-at-half-one, a Swedish radio jounalist predicted a tie for Sweden v Spain, so maybe they’ve learned not to say silly things like ”they’ve never before lost to Spain, why should they now?” I still haven’t forgiven Johan Esk at DN for that one.

But I agree with that self-same Esk’s column today that basically said there will only be a big loser out of tonight’s game — a serious setback for either team and federation (and maybe for those in intense negotiations with their federation). Perhaps a draw would be best, politically?

in other news, I hear that there are other interesting, potentially intense matches tonight, like Scotland v. England. ”Revenge for Euro 2017!” could be a Scottish rallying cry.

Bonnie Lass, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Both teams are now actually on the field. Swedish fans have ”It’s over” signs and Team Spain gets huge applause, but during the anthem, they look dead tired and not happy.

Weltmann and blissett repped this.
  12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sweden v Spain and then Scotland v England: football did not win either of these games. Some questionable refereeing this evening.

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ilestedt earned a red. Yikes.

In other news, Norway tied Austria, which is better than their last meeting, which resulted in a loss. I mean, I'll cut them slack. Riise's out, new dude's an alleged temp and it looks as if they intend to get a qualified coach in the coming months, so I'll take it.

Christ. How did ties with Austria become good news for Norway?

Smulan and blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, am I the only one who's quite happy here on the rivalry forum, with Italy beating Switzerland by 0-1 through an old-style catenaccio with the new coach? :coffee:

Also, Ilestedt's Red Card guarantees that she won't score 3-4 other goals to us in the next game. :cautious:

Weltmann and Bonnie Lass repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m no expert lip reader, but after the game. I could have sworn I saw a Spanish player going over to a Swede and asking; Can you kindly hand over your #1 ranking!

16. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    To be pedantic, she did not earn a red card, but was given one. :mad: Her touch on that player was about 1/100th of Millie Bright’s outright arm-to-the-back-of-the-neck tackle in the box, but was Scotland awarded so much as a nod? No they were not.

Smulan, Bonnie Lass and JanBalk repped this.
  17. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I really second this. I needed more time between the WWC and the OLY to heal emotionally. It's too much sucking all at once.

blissett repped this.
  19. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Righty-ho. It's a few minutes before Sweden v. Switzerland. No Rolfö, no Hurtig, Ilestedt hurt, and Seger starting. Switzerland may not be Spain, but they ain't Argentina either. I've got a bad feeling about this one too.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  20. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Okay, how about tonight – can I have a bad feeling about tonight's game vs. Italy? It is Halloween, after all, and who knows what any malevolent spirits hanging about between this world and the next might get themselves up to.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, come on, you "Queens of FIFA rankings"! How can you be afraid of poor puny Italians? :barefoot:

(Of course, I am trying to jinx all the jinxable! :ninja:)

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My jinx had almost worked! Until 90'+6'! :x3::x3::x3::x3::x3:

23. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Italy is totally scary as it turns out! Thank all the heavens for Linda Sembrant and all those other defenders who've been doing the scoring lately. :rolleyes:

Let's review: no Rolfö, no Ilestedt, no Hurtig, and, most crucially as it turns out, no Rubensson. And Björn off at the half – injured? Weirdly, Seger has now played two 90 minute games in less than a week. (Which only makes me madder that she went along for the WC – she was clearly hurt worse than was let on. They really ought to have known better.)

So Sweden's A-team might be worthy of a #1 ranking, but I'm not sure the B-team is there yet. Although Janogy had a good night – very active – and quite a few times, usefully. She clearly is out to Prove Herself.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Anyway, you're now kindly requested to beat Switzerland: Italy need it. :ninja:

(I can't actually promise we're going to beat Spain in exchange :rolleyes:).

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is there anyone out there??? :whistling:

Lohmann, Weltmann and kolabear repped this.